Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by theraven1979 »

I sincerely hope that it's not just the usual Paul Simenon punch up stories and there's some new little nuggets in there.

80s and 90s I'm sure will be 2 pages long :lol:

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

DoctorBlack wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 19:38 There is also a large section on his alienation from Hugh Cornwell, when the bands chart success began to drive a wedge between the two. As Burnel icily points out: ‘He must be even more bitter now. I think he’s the support act for the Undertones. He’s touring toilets around England.’
:lol:
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Touring toilets lol !

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

aldinblack wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 13:24 Touring toilets lol !
I would have said phone boxes myself.
No sign of a thaw despite the dearly departed.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 12:42 I sincerely hope that it's not just the usual Paul Simenon punch up stories and there's some new little nuggets in there.

80s and 90s I'm sure will be 2 pages long :lol:

Jim
Yes...lol
The bitterness is stil just as deep obviously even after all these decades,it's all a shame really that old wounds won't heal because JJ & Hugh who were once so good together for 16 years and boy they achieved far more together worldwide than they once must of thought was ever possible when they first started out rehearsing at Jet's Guildford off licence back in those early '70s.
For me post '90 there can be no comparison between a big known named band who thanks to Hughs 16 year imput in the band getting them the success they got with him being their frontman did enable them to continue on with he successful brand name they kept playing the venues they did without him compared to a small time solo artist whose obviously was happier out of it all doing what he wants to do material,books and having widened his musical scope of other musicians that certainly made him a better songwriter/guitarist in my opinion for having done what he did do in 1990 and that was to leave an be his own person with his career that was for the better rather than a mistake I feel as one fan only.
I think his career over the last 30 years has been amazing with produced material rather than the small venues he's playing at the dosen't bother me where he is playing it's the magic he's doing on stage that counts for me and i'm just so glad to have heard and enjoyed all of his 10 solo studio albums that were of a very high standard and quality which is a hell of a achievement and benchmark set and done that i wouldn't of heard had he stayed in an un happy band together not doing what he wanted to do,at least he left and had a free range on his career,so if there is bitterness still between the two camps at least they both seem to be happy doing what they are doing separately and I get to hear two of everything...gigs & new material.
It would be nice if their rift and problems were one day sorted out you never know...never say never.
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

I bet there is no content in that publication at all other than the very boring repeated stories and the 5 M's as mentioned earlier. A born politician is our JJ nothing but cheap tricks and gimmicks. That will be a bit of sensational stories to just up his publication sales just like Politicians behave to up there voting polls.

Not really too sure why people think Hugh is bitter i have never seen Hugh get personal about the band it always seems to come from JJ to be honest. Unless of course you listen to JJ telling everyone constantly how bitter Hugh is while Hugh says nothing and just gets on with writing fantastic music.
Oh well you never know JJ may one day grow up.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I always think the same here. Very one sided - any mud slinging from Hugh is usually reactionary to JJ's comments. One thing I have learned so far is that JJ has a very large toilet!

Jim
ThinkTank wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 14:29 I bet there is no content in that publication at all other than the very boring repeated stories and the 5 M's as mentioned earlier. A born politician is our JJ nothing but cheap tricks and gimmicks. That will be a bit of sensational stories to just up his publication sales just like Politicians behave to up there voting polls.

Not really too sure why people think Hugh is bitter i have never seen Hugh get personal about the band it always seems to come from JJ to be honest. Unless of course you listen to JJ telling everyone constantly how bitter Hugh is while Hugh says nothing and just gets on with writing fantastic music.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
ThinkTank
Ugly
Ugly

Post by ThinkTank »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 14:49 I always think the same here. Very one sided - any mud slinging from Hugh is usually reactionary to JJ's comments. One thing I have learned so far is that JJ has a very large toilet!

Jim
ThinkTank wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 14:29 I bet there is no content in that publication at all other than the very boring repeated stories and the 5 M's as mentioned earlier. A born politician is our JJ nothing but cheap tricks and gimmicks. That will be a bit of sensational stories to just up his publication sales just like Politicians behave to up there voting polls.

lol yeah i agree
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ThinkTank wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 15:28
theraven1979 wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 14:49 I always think the same here. Very one sided - any mud slinging from Hugh is usually reactionary to JJ's comments. One thing I have learned so far is that JJ has a very large toilet!

Jim

lol yeah i agree
I've never heard Hugh either be bitter in any interviews I've heard,like I say the two camps kind of get on with their own things separately and that's the best way for both of them overall I suppose.
I for one as only a fan just listen and enjoy their music and see Hugh live from time to time and the two camps can do and say as they wish I suppose and good luck to both of them just keep producing good music and gigs.
Over the past 30 odd years it hasn't been to bad from both party's to eachother...best way.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 03 Oct 2023, 20:34 Slagging Hugh off as usual

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I respect JJ but the slagging of Hugh is so pointless,I thought he would have moved on with his views,but sadly he doesn't seem to have moved on,a bit pathetic to be honest,of course Hugh is no shrinking violet,but all i have seen from Hugh recently is pleasant comments about his old band.Major Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I don't take it too seriously,water off a duck's back to me.Amusing if anything.I don't think JJ has ever got over Hugh's leaving but he'd never admit it.
Waffle waitress
Rats Rally

Post by Waffle waitress »

I see the "reviews", from folk who haven't/won't read it, are flooding in already
(all that's missing is the choker)

Liberez les Stranglers!