Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 14:17
toilerinblack wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 21:37
Greatkudu wrote: 07 Jan 2024, 21:13

I read that Hugh has been complimentary about Baz a few years ago,but I imagine JJ would have influenced Baz about Hugh,but Baz respects what Hugh did in the Stranglers as he's trying his best to replicate his sound and style,but Hugh is unique,has a unique style vocally and Guitar wise.Major Kudu.
Very well said....spot on about baz i think too he respects Hugh and really has tried to replicate who and what the Stranglers were once all about and that for that is the first time it has been tried and worked properly post '90 after Paul's long reign and depature as frontman and also leaving before him John.
Yes Hugh is unique but I for one take my hat off to Baz like or loathe him who j think does understand what Stranglers fans want and expect who has tried being the only one post Hugh taking them successfully back to once was...if that's ever possible which it can't be but it's the best and nearest musically as your gonna get.
Yes Baz has certainly helped bring the band back to a format that works again,as near as the original as we are going to get,some dislike Baz but he's worked hard with the band so I commend what he has achieved and the key is the strong friendship with JJ,you could have the best singer in the world and it wouldn't work, there has to be that bond with JJ which Hugh had for along time, before it went sour for whatever reason.Major Kudu.
Exactly...you have hit the nail on the head in my opinion only like I say with fans liking or loathing him he has found that bond with JJ that he had with Hugh even though the originals partnership was a one off but yes you can see the band is relaxed their a happy unit and like you say you can have the best of everybody as good as musicians go in your band and if you can't connect or be on the same wavelength even happy friends then your not gonna get the best out of your music together for sure one effects the other and baz seems to have brought the best out JJ again which is cano only be good for the band and it's fans at their gigs and their new produced studio music....you are so right.
Going even further through very sad circumstances Toby seems to be a lovely fella who seems to be getting on very well with JJ & Baz well and Jim all four are a happy very tight nitted band and it's showing in their gigs with superb reviews both sides of the channel.
Like we say in 2024 it's as good as it's gonna get and I for one think it's very good...not bad 34 years after the main man left the band....it can't be the same but differently it's still very good and as good as it's gonna get.
Your post I thought was very good and is as true as it is I think.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

The more I read of this book, the more I can understand exactly why Hugh left.
JJ is a total contradiction, unpredictable and constantly reaches for some bullsh** , faux intellectual reason to justify what were many examples of selfish, self sabotaging behaviour.
While I think anyone will really enjoy the stories in it, I find it quite sad as he chronicles the situations that led to break up of Mk 1.

The whole thing reminds me of when I read Keith Richard’s brilliant autobiography, and was left with untold admiration for how Mick Jagger has put up with him for so long.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jonimac wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 15:50 The more I read of this book, the more I can understand exactly why Hugh left.
JJ is a total contradiction, unpredictable and constantly reaches for some bullsh** , faux intellectual reason to justify what were many examples of selfish, self sabotaging behaviour.
While I think anyone will really enjoy the stories in it, I find it quite sad as he chronicles the situations that led to break up of Mk 1.

The whole thing reminds me of when I read Keith Richard’s brilliant autobiography, and was left with untold admiration for how Mick Jagger has put up with him for so long.
Intresting your post I haven't purchased a copy to read what he's saying in it but it's intresting your take on it though I wouldn't know as most fan do too just what all the ins and outs were towards the end of MK1 I'm sure egos and different ideas in band directions and separate song writing was all going on and heading only one way for Hugh who got off the train,had he stayed and JJ had gone then then I think the band would of carried on pretty much the same way as material and single releases go and would of had more hits than it did because he was the one with that distinctive Stranglers voice that gave them most of their hits who left....even though JJ is distinctive in his own right too and had hits.
But it did end and they have both gone in their own directions and the rest is history j just still can't u drsatnd how Paul & John seem to have had the reigns as much as they did in the WIR days as they joined JJs band...I suppose maybe JJ and Dave had lost some intrest and heart at that period of time but at least it all returned again later.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

In the book JJ explains that he was quite depressed after Hugh left and let them essentially take the reins. He has nothing but criticism for John Ellis, backed up with some nonsense stories that left me wondering “”is that it?”.

As for Paul, he is quite fond of him, but critical of his ability to reproduce Bowie, Sinatra or whatever, but couldn’t find his own voice.
Personally I would agree that both men were not a good fit in terms of where the music went, but with JJ at career low, and with Dave and a Jet not really able to come up with the goods, song wise, it was left to the two recruits. It also seems obvious that when Baz joined, the writing took a step up, dare I say writing and arranging stuff that was more appealing to the hardcore (ie us).

For example, I couldn’t believe the difference in the Norfolk Coast I heard at JJ’s union chapel gig, and when I first heard it bootlegged from an American radio station play.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Well I've really been taking my time reading this book, just a little every week or so..
Anyway I'm on the last chapter now and I just had to laugh at JJ's comments about Hugh becoming an old fart, and what a fucking bastard Ellis is !
I don't even know if JJ is totally serious or not, but either way it's made me

Nearly finished the book now and it's been a great read, even if you can't take all of it absolutely 100% seriously..

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk

I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 19:16 Well I've really been taking my time reading this book, just a little every week or so..
Anyway I'm on the last chapter now and I just had to laugh at JJ's comments about Hugh becoming an old fart, and what a fucking bastard Ellis is !
I don't even know if JJ is totally serious or not, but either way it's made me Image

Nearly finished the book now and it's been a great read, even if you can't take all of it absolutely 100% seriously..

I've stopped reading the book for now,but one thing for sure, there is no way I would ever want to be in a band with JJ,he's a very difficult character,no wonder Hugh left and Paul and John.Baz probably stands up to him,as for Jim and Toby they are just session players in reality.Major Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I think life with JJ with baz is very good as it is with all the post original members in now too as he seems to have really mellowed with age and seems more relaxed about things compared to the old days with strong views and ideas from when John and Paul were together probably put JJ out of joint a bit i'm guessing as one fans worth.
He has no pressure nowday's and you can see he's playing on because he's enjoying himself nowday's and especially with the company he's with ......they ate all post originals that have joined him jn his band now even though they stress it's all a joint effort making it work so well and I think you can see that's the case.....Nice to see a full band all getting on so well and that reflects in what you do together....creating and playing good music.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

I bet all four orginals were nightmares to work with. I think creating orginal work and being difficult go hand in hand.

The band is probably less fraught now simple because JJ is in charge rather than just one of the band. Years ago he could only refuse to be involved with tracks he disnt like (golden brown), now they wont get off the ground.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 11:44

I've stopped reading the book for now,but one thing for sure, there is no way I would ever want to be in a band with JJ,he's a very difficult character,no wonder Hugh left and Paul and John.Baz probably stands up to him,as for Jim and Toby they are just session players in reality.Major Kudu.
I reckon Baz doesn't rock the boat too much.Hugh,Paul and John weren't bothered about differing with JJ but Baz won't want to go too far down that road in case it leads to a falling out and JJ pulling the plug.Burnel wouldn't want to be looking for yet another front man at this stage, he'd rather call it a day which would leave Baz to his own devices.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

aldinblack wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 19:16 Well I've really been taking my time reading this book, just a little every week or so..
I don't even know if JJ is totally serious or not, but either way it's made me Image

Crumbs - not wanting to be in a band with a legendary bass player! All the bands I have been in have had friction - that's simply human nature. I would have loved to be in a band with such a talented musician.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais23 wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 15:06

Crumbs - not wanting to be in a band with a legendary bass player! All the bands I have been in have had friction - that's simply human nature. I would have loved to be in a band with such a talented musician.
Agreed most bands have problems that's life and the Stranglers are no different either.
It goes to show even more just how good it is that they have reached the half century...
What an achievement....I mean I've only ever been in small time bands but the bloody trouble I've seen again and again between members off stage makes me not miss being nowday's in a band but I do miss the playing and creating though within a unit.
It's funny bands come together and give a good gig and people think their great and probably all get on but I've seen people not even speak the minute their not playing together...
So yes we'll done the Stranglers somehow you've made it to a milestone that most don't or could ever reach.....you deserve your praises all I say is give one bloody good 50th tour and surprise a few people because they are capable of pulling out all the stops to doing something very special to remember as they are all very good professionals together for sure who are all in the right band who still amazingly in their more maturer times have the energy and enthusiasm to rock the place.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Palais23 wrote: 26 Feb 2024, 15:06

Sir with all respect,none of us know the real JJ,but judging by Hugh,I would think he was a really difficult character to be with,but then again they all were,the most ill matched bunch of characters you could ever have in a band,but together made some of the greatest music ever IMHO.Lt General Kudu,I've promoted myself🙂