Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 12:09
theraven1979 wrote:I really believe that JJ thinks fans will love him slagging off previous band members in a real "yeah fuck em!" kinda mentality. Goes with the "rock n roll" myth. When really it's backfired with the majority of fans going "really? that vicious?".

Just a shame the author couldn't go "Hmmm do you think this will come across well JJ?" but then credit to the author giving it the warts n all story.

I suspect deep down if you interviewed JJ in the right setting etc and asked him about Hugh and Paul (possibly not John lol) he'd probably admit his misses them and would love to get in contact but pride or blokeyness gets in the way.

Jim
yes, well JJ said he tried it before with Hugh but got turned down.So then he just left it..

But if Hugh were to take the initiative to get in touch then I don't think JJ would turn him away.

There's been opportunities, eg when Dave or Jet passed away, but even then it wasn't done.
Which I can kind of understand, as it's been so long and with so many things being said there's probably too much damage that's been done...

Imagine Hugh calling JJ now:
"hello John, it's the old fart here, how are you ?"

Sent from my moto g62 5G using Tapatalk
I heard a recent interview with High and he said he was in touch with JJ for a few years after leaving,but then read an interview with JJ making disparaging comments about Hugh,and after that it was the end for him regarding Hugh.Major Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

If you piece it all together Hugh also said in a recent interview he asked JJ about the "disparaging comments" (lets go with your wording Kudu) and JJ laughed down the phone. The flip of this is the "Hugh hung up on me" story that JJ spins out now and again without the full context behind it.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

Even if the impossible happens and Hugh returns - either in a one off capacity or something more permanent, not sure I’d want to see or hear it. It’d be pretty obvious why they’re doing it

There’d be plenty who wouldn’t be able to contain themselves, but it would be sad to see IMHO

I prefer to remember them together as they were, when they were getting on
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

You wouldn't know what believe ,from either of them.There's JJ version,Hugh's version and somewhere in between is the truth.
Last edited by Ruby on 29 Feb 2024, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

BankMan wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 18:30 Even if the impossible happens and Hugh returns - either in a one off capacity or something more permanent, not sure I’d want to see or hear it. It’d be pretty obvious why they’re doing it

There’d be plenty who wouldn’t be able to contain themselves, but it would be sad to see IMHO

I prefer to remember them together as they were, when they were getting on
Yes. Those are exactly my thoughts. Sadly it cannot be labelled as 'original line-up' either. Plus, I don't really see a big audience increase for The Stranglers who are doing just fine as they are.
Let's Boogie
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

StanInBlack wrote: 29 Feb 2024, 01:36 JJ Burnel & Friends presents A Tribute to the Music of The Stranglers
Just surmising, could the current setup these days be bordering on being more akin to the Man with a Stick act from Vic Reeves Big Night Out?
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Frederik wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 01:51

Just surmising, could the current setup these days be bordering on being more akin to the Man with a Stick act from Vic Reeves Big Night Out?
It's Trigger's broom,unfortunately.It saddens me to see the band in its current guise.To be honest it had run its course long before this stage.
Palais23
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais23 »

Ruby wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 18:54
Frederik wrote: 01 Mar 2024, 01:51

It's Trigger's broom,unfortunately.It saddens me to see the band in its current guise.To be honest it had run its course long before this stage.
When? 1980? Only joking..