Strangler in the light

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

marky
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Strangler in the light

Post by marky »

Well if you want to read about stuff that you mostly already know about then this is the book for you I would go as far as saying don’t waste your money though . Somebody somewhere must surely be able to write the definitive book about the stranglers and their career and that must surely be Jet if he still can
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

Don't have the book, this from a review via Google translate

"Meninblack" continues to give us tracks on the recordings of the albums, and all the theoretical delirium and ufology around the group, to inevitably lead us to experiments with drugs ("Marijuana"). Coke, hero, weed, LSD, acids, the Stranglers have tried everything and we learn from a response that Burnel was very good friends with actor Robin Williams. Inevitably, after rock and drugs, we come to sex ("Masturbation"). From her naked picture in the NMEin 1977 until his orgies in Australia, the musician rejects the reputation of misogyny and gladly says he is non-binary. "Motorbike" tells us about his passion for motorcycles and his experience with the Hells Angels. He will also become an ambassador for the Triumph brand. The work of producer (for Taxi Girl, Polyphonic Size, Mona Mur, Lizard...) and the solo career (with the famous album Euroman Cometh ) are then honored in "Mainland & Manifesto". Finally, Burnel settles his accounts in "Membership", in particular on his complicated relationship with Hugh Cornwell. He speaks of the Stranglers as a "mission" and takes the opportunity to pay tribute to the memory of the disappeared."
https://www-obskure-com.translate.goog/ ... _tr_pto=sc
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

evonx wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 10:57 Halfway through now, not pointless inho but at the same time a lot of stories we all have heard before. A lot more depth though than the usual interviews and did you know Jet hates dogs?
Wow a revelation,I know his wife is a huge Cat lover.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 20:06
evonx wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 10:57 Halfway through now, not pointless inho but at the same time a lot of stories we all have heard before. A lot more depth though than the usual interviews and did you know Jet hates dogs?
So the feline cover would of been liked then from back in the day lol...
Talking of cats i've always really liked the feline sleeve pic myself... just a fantastic picture and on a t shirt too.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 13:21
Greatkudu wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 20:06
So the feline cover would of been liked then from back in the day lol...
Talking of cats i've always really liked the feline sleeve pic myself... just a fantastic picture and on a t shirt too.
Yes class album and cover, with the Black Leopard,amuses me that people seem to think a Black Panther is a distinct breed of Bigcat, when In actual fact its the Black version of Leopard,also sometimes Black Jaguars are sometimes referred to as Panthers,I think Latin for Leopard is Pantherus etc.A bit off thread,but all started by Jets shocking hatred of dogs? I'm more Cat but the only animals I hate are humans.Lt Kudu. :smt005
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

I heard that Hugh has a hatred for penguins
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

marky wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 11:00 I heard that Hugh has a hatred for penguins
Never mind that, what's his position on Kit-Kats?
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

So so far the unique selling points for this book is

- There's an unseen photo of a young JJ
- Latham de-strangled them.
- Jet doesn't like cats.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
marky
Ugly
Ugly

Post by marky »

Yes Jim really their is nothing in this book that your average Stranglers fan doesn’t know I would go as far as saying that I’ve learned more facts and experiences about the band from this forum
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 12:13 - Jet doesn't like cats.
Oh, do pay attention at the back there. Jet doesn't like dogs, his opinion on cats has not been covered in the thread.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 12:13 So so far the unique selling points for this book is

- There's an unseen photo of a young JJ
- Latham de-strangled them.
- Jet doesn't like cats.

Jim
No Jet hates dogs.Lt Kudu
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 17:13
theraven1979 wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 12:13 - Jet doesn't like cats.
Oh, do pay attention at the back there. Jet doesn't like dogs, his opinion on cats has not been covered in the thread.
As I keep saying,I imagine Jet quite likes Cats as his wife is a huge Cat lover and has a cat I believe.Lt Kudu,I hate humans. :smt005