New Rat Chat out

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: New Rat Chat out

Post by Ruby »

Mart wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 13:29 Hugh's solo output for me, in the main, isnt good enough, ive seen him live a few times, nothing special in my opinion, to a point where on Wednesday he is playing ten minutes from my home and i cant be bothered to go and see him.
Same.I was about to say that Hugh's material is over-rated but not many people rate it anyway so it isn't. I also bypassed one of his shows near to my home and chose to sit on a town centre pub just half a mile away from the venue.He just doesn't interest me.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

So lets stop posting this Vitriol against the band and rally behind both Hugh and The stranglers, the world would be a poorer place if both stooped recording and touring.
That would have more impact if you didn't just criticise hugh early in the same post. :wink:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Fair enough each to their own. I always find it a bit weird that some Stranglers fans won't even entertain hearing "that voice". Surely even if you're not that impressed with his solo offering you'd go to hear the voice live. Like someone else mentioned ain't gonna be performing forever.

And yeah the posts whinging about the critical appraisal of The Stranglers recent output then going on to rip it out of Hugh are interesting.

Jim
Ruby wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 16:18
Mart wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 13:29 Hugh's solo output for me, in the main, isnt good enough, ive seen him live a few times, nothing special in my opinion, to a point where on Wednesday he is playing ten minutes from my home and i cant be bothered to go and see him.
Same.I was about to say that Hugh's material is over-rated but not many people rate it anyway so it isn't. I also bypassed one of his shows near to my home and chose to sit on a town centre pub just half a mile away from the venue.He just doesn't interest me.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 17:33 OK it's seems like JJ is being trolled by some on this Forum now, he's actually in the Stranglers and so as a Strangler he is saying on the New Rat chat that their will be detractors, if you don't think it's the Stranglers tough fucking shit it is. Lt Kudu. :smt013
Well said that man!
See You At The Bar
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

To add some balance to my previous comment I also chose not to attend the Manchester gig on the recent tour, despite having tickets since the day they were made available in early 2020.For me a Stranglers line up without Dave as well as Jet and Hugh was the cut off point,the straw that broke the camel's back.Just my own personal choice,thousands of others saw it differently which I respect.Each to their own, as said.
Last edited by Ruby on 28 Mar 2022, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

Yanders wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 17:11
So lets stop posting this Vitriol against the band and rally behind both Hugh and The stranglers, the world would be a poorer place if both stooped recording and touring.
That would have more impact if you didn't just criticise hugh early in the same post. :wink:
I wasn’t criticising him I was saying it wasn’t for me unlike others on here who seem to think it’s acceptable post insulting comments about the current and other line ups of the stranglers
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 17:13 Fair enough each to their own. I always find it a bit weird that some Stranglers fans won't even entertain hearing "that voice". Surely even if you're not that impressed with his solo offering you'd go to hear the voice live. Like someone else mentioned ain't gonna be performing forever.

And yeah the posts whinging about the critical appraisal of The Stranglers recent output then going on to rip it out of Hugh are interesting.

Jim
Ruby wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 16:18
Critical appraisal of the output whether it be Hugh or the stranglers is not what I said, it’s the fact that because Dave is unfortunately no longer with us some people post insulting the current line up as you can read earlier in the thread by Stan however Hugh for some reason avoids it
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

I'm not on either side, but have you stopped to think that maybe some are just as insulted at the idea of the stranglers being like a football team and it doesn't matter who's in the band as those who are insulted at the idea that they are now a tribute act?
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 17:59
Greatkudu wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 17:33 OK it's seems like JJ is being trolled by some on this Forum now, he's actually in the Stranglers and so as a Strangler he is saying on the New Rat chat that their will be detractors, if you don't think it's the Stranglers tough fucking shit it is. Lt Kudu. :smt013
Well said that man!
Well said...like JJ has said already that they are not even trying to be how the stranglers once were and rightly so i say what would be the point of carrying on as they once were 30-40 years ago..... all a bit boring i say.
If your a musician your buzz is to try experimenting with something new in your craft that you pride with.People will always have their opinions and that's fair enough they are entitled to i'm behind both camps which i think is great.
We got an amazing album with DM and tour too,now i can't wait to hear Hugh's in the Autumn but as usual...each to their own.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Mart wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 12:59 So i gather by what you have said that Hugh's band is the same, the only thing that differs is that its not called The Stranglers
There's a big difference between Hugh Cornwell playing live as "Hugh Cornwell" (when he is) and JJ Burnel & Friends playing live as "The Stranglers" (when it's a huge stretch to call them so)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 18:19 To add some balance to my previous comment I also chose not to attend the Manchester gig on the recent tour, despite having tickets since the day they were made available in early 2020.For me a Stranglers line up without Dave as well as Jet and Hugh was the cut off point,the straw that broke the camel's back.Just my own personal choice,thousands of others saw it differently which I respect.Each to their own, as said.
Sir and we all respect how you feel, but you've stated your opinion in a way which hasn't slagged the current lineup which is how it should be. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

This is essentially what it boils down to. Now Hugh is touring we've got the usual critics. At least he's doing it off his own back and with a healthy wedge of his solo material. Which IMO stands up incredibly well and is as strong as some of the stuff he wrote for The Stranglers. His live performances and album output speaks for itself. As Kudu would so eloquently say if you don't like it "tough fuckin shit" :lol: Or maybe not :roll:

Jim
StanInBlack wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 22:46
Mart wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 12:59 So i gather by what you have said that Hugh's band is the same, the only thing that differs is that its not called The Stranglers
There's a big difference between Hugh Cornwell playing live as "Hugh Cornwell" (when he is) and JJ Burnel & Friends playing live as "The Stranglers" (when it's a huge stretch to call them so)
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"