New Rat Chat out

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: New Rat Chat out

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 22:46
Mart wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 12:59 So i gather by what you have said that Hugh's band is the same, the only thing that differs is that its not called The Stranglers
There's a big difference between Hugh Cornwell playing live as "Hugh Cornwell" (when he is) and JJ Burnel & Friends playing live as "The Stranglers" (when it's a huge stretch to call them so)
Hugh's small trio band has no keyboards but replaced with guitar so he doesn't have the same sound as he once had when in the Stranglers but who still covers them with a different imprvovised twang to them that works very well not so full sounding as before but still sounds good and the Stranglers who are still the stranglers still have the same sound as when Hugh was in the Stranglers but with different members now in a nutshell, but both camps can never be what they were once when Hugh was in the band.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

toilerinblack wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 18:33 Hugh's small trio band has no keyboards but replaced with guitar
A good proportion of the keyboard lines were replaced with bass, rather than guitar, when I saw him the other night.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

droopsnoot wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 18:39
toilerinblack wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 18:33 Hugh's small trio band has no keyboards but replaced with guitar
A good proportion of the keyboard lines were replaced with bass, rather than guitar, when I saw him the other night.
Yep he does now your quite right in what you say there on the current tour...which works very well i think, two things i think with Hugh has always had and that is and like Stan said he's always had a good drummer which is true and i think with good bassist's also in Caz and now Pat both bloody good bass players who both can play very good lead bass to help fill out the loss of keyboards.
What a tribute to Dave from Hugh......Dead Ringer! Amazing version with an explosive Thrown Away one of the best version's live i've heard of that track Hugh simply blew it away.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 31 Mar 2022, 19:58, edited 4 times in total.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 08:42
Sir and we all respect how you feel, but you've stated your opinion in a way which hasn't slagged the current lineup which is how it should be. Lt Kudu.
Thanks Kudu, glad you enjoyed Reading.I had Manchester tickets for 2 years but decided not to attend at the last minute.A big part of me wishes I had gone,you can't beat a Stranglers gig at a packed Apollo and I'll regret it forever but in the end I just didn't fancy it without Dave.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 21:26
Greatkudu wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 08:42
Sir and we all respect how you feel, but you've stated your opinion in a way which hasn't slagged the current lineup which is how it should be. Lt Kudu.
Thanks Kudu, glad you enjoyed Reading.I had Manchester tickets for 2 years but decided not to attend at the last minute.A big part of me wishes I had gone,you can't beat a Stranglers gig at a packed Apollo and I'll regret it forever but in the end I just didn't fancy it without Dave.
Sir I totally understand your reason for not going, but I'm not rubbing it in, but I'm glad I went, I doubt I will ever see the band again. Lt Kudu.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

I was lucky to see mk1 live on many occasions

That can never come back

The current line up are doing brilliantly and DM is a fine album

To see the maestro on bass is worth the entrance fee alone
See You At The Bar
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

strangledinAuch wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 19:06 I was lucky to see mk1 live on many occasions

That can never come back

Yes, to see and hear JJ on this tour was worth the ticket price alone. Especially with the bass so clear. The greatest...even Flea says so.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

strangledinAuch wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 19:06 I was lucky to see mk1 live on many occasions

That can never come back

I think I saw all incarnations fairly frequently up until Jet stopped .I haven't seen the band since then , it just sort of hasn't happened , not a deliberate choice .I can understand people still wanting to see them and I can understand those who don't but for me mainly it was they were always touring when I was on holiday and I rather would have had the extra £150 ish for spending abroad .The only time I was ever disappointed was Ally Pally.......but I think helped by my dislike of 10 which featured fairly heavily , at the same time though privileged to have seen Hugh's last show. I am not a Hugh apologist though and I felt the band had far more energy in the subsequent years .It wasn't the same , but then why should it be ? It was and is what it is.......like it or lump it 😂. We don't have to listen .
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 01 Apr 2022, 16:23

That can never come back

I think I saw all incarnations fairly frequently up until Jet stopped .I haven't seen the band since then , it just sort of hasn't happened , not a deliberate choice .I can understand people still wanting to see them and I can understand those who don't but for me mainly it was they were always touring when I was on holiday and I rather would have had the extra £150 ish for spending abroad .The only time I was ever disappointed was Ally Pally.......but I think helped by my dislike of 10 which featured fairly heavily , at the same time though privileged to have seen Hugh's last show. I am not a Hugh apologist though and I felt the band had far more energy in the subsequent years .It wasn't the same , but then why should it be ? It was and is what it is.......like it or lump it 😂. We don't have to listen .
Good post... you said it all as it is really even though i am probably in the minority about the Ally gig i too was glad to see Hugh on top form at his last gig i still to this day love that gig...again nice post from you.That gig wasn't full of energy for sure at the atmosphere between certain members of the band not good either it was clear to see that but saying that Hugh's vocals was fantastic and the way he sung certain songs for me was him at his best,for me he gave it his all at that point in time knowing that it was his last as a Strangler.
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

theraven1979 wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 09:03 This is essentially what it boils down to. Now Hugh is touring we've got the usual critics. At least he's doing it off his own back and with a healthy wedge of his solo material. Which IMO stands up incredibly well and is as strong as some of the stuff he wrote for The Stranglers. His live performances and album output speaks for itself. As Kudu would so eloquently say if you don't like it "tough fuckin shit" :lol: Or maybe not :roll:

Jim
Mart wrote: 28 Mar 2022, 12:59 So i gather by what you have said that Hugh's band is the same, the only thing that differs is that its not called The Stranglers
There's a big difference between Hugh Cornwell playing live as "Hugh Cornwell" (when he is) and JJ Burnel & Friends playing live as "The Stranglers" (when it's a huge stretch to call them so)
im not a critic of Hugh as such i just find it odd that the Stranglers take pelters for only having JJ in left in the band whereas Hugh escapes, the main band have more than its fair share of post Hugh material which everyone raved about on the last album particularly, there is plenty of room and justification for both to continue recording and touring
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Hugh gets his fair stake of critics. With the current "JJ and Friends" (to coin Stan's current naming convention) band I guess they're the ones calling themselves The Stranglers with 1 original member so they pave the way for criticism in that respect. That's if they are to continue under that guise I guess.

Jim

Mart wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 13:26
theraven1979 wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 09:03 This is essentially what it boils down to. Now Hugh is touring we've got the usual critics. At least he's doing it off his own back and with a healthy wedge of his solo material. Which IMO stands up incredibly well and is as strong as some of the stuff he wrote for The Stranglers. His live performances and album output speaks for itself. As Kudu would so eloquently say if you don't like it "tough fuckin shit" :lol: Or maybe not :roll:

Jim

im not a critic of Hugh as such i just find it odd that the Stranglers take pelters for only having JJ in left in the band whereas Hugh escapes, the main band have more than its fair share of post Hugh material which everyone raved about on the last album particularly, there is plenty of room and justification for both to continue recording and touring
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:Hugh gets his fair stake of critics. With the current "JJ and Friends" (to coin Stan's current naming convention) band I guess they're the ones calling themselves The Stranglers with 1 original member so they pave the way for criticism in that respect. That's if they are to continue under that guise I guess.

Jim

Mart wrote: 06 Apr 2022, 13:26
theraven1979 wrote: 29 Mar 2022, 09:03 This is essentially what it boils down to. Now Hugh is touring we've got the usual critics. At least he's doing it off his own back and with a healthy wedge of his solo material. Which IMO stands up incredibly well and is as strong as some of the stuff he wrote for The Stranglers. His live performances and album output speaks for itself. As Kudu would so eloquently say if you don't like it "tough fuckin shit" Image Or maybe not :roll:

Jim
So would Stan be truly happy if they changed their name to JJ & Friends?

Or would he still hate their very existence?
I Hate You !