New Rat Chat out

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: New Rat Chat out

Post by theraven1979 »

I'd say pretty much all of Monster is quality craftmanship. There's only 2 or 3 tracks that I'm not massively keen on on each album. I've a feeling his quality control is pretty high.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 16:57 Please Don't Put Me on a Slowboat to Trowbridge
Delightful Nightmare
Stuck in Daily Mail Land
Bad Vibrations
Gods, Guns and Gays
A Street Called Carroll
The Most Beautiful Girl in Hollywood
Bilko
Attack of the Major Sevens
Duce Coochie Man

...or you could look at the poll threads for the post-BEF albums and see which tracks have the most votes :smile:
Thanks. I’ll give it a shot.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 17:13 I'd say pretty much all of Monster is quality craftmanship. There's only 2 or 3 tracks that I'm not massively keen on on each album. I've a feeling his quality control is pretty high.

Jim
Yes i agree too about his quality control is always set pretty high like you say and this is why all through his Stranglers career then leading on to his solo career he's always produced such high quality material which is why he'll always lead the way in the two camps for me even though i'm very happy with both and would never put the band down that is doing well giving them credit where it's due.Hugh for sure never seems to disappoint it's quite incredible how somehow he always pulls another good one out of the bag.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 13:33
Yanders wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 12:57 Mk1 into the 1990s and beyond might have been a car crash, or really interesting. But it would have need all four of them want it and not phone it in.
It's tempting to think that if MKI had stuck together through the '90s then the Britpop years may have been kind to them - they WERE getting cited as an influence, after all - especially if they'd knuckled down and produced some great work. The Britpop years weren't kind to MKII due to the change of personnel and being perceived as a band desperately clinging on after their main songwriter and frontman had left - when The Stranglers were being cited as an influence (and this holds true today also and for subsequent line-ups) it wasn't the MKII line-up that those people were referring to.
I disagree think now thinks have turned around in perception to a certain extent and I would say alot of people are just happy to see the band despite of the tragic loss of Dave, the last album 10 would have been a good album, or the version they recorded at JJs with Owen Morris, then CBS rejected it and gave them RTB which was always going be a cluster fuck, the Stranglers with Queens producer. What a terrible mistake. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

You think bands see MKII and beyond as an influence Kudu? You need to smell your morning coffee mate :lol:

Scraping something from your argument the nearest I can get is Peter Hook citing that The Stranglers were a great live band circa 1992 in the NME but not a sausage from anyone after that.

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 10:23
Yanders wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 12:57 Mk1 into the 1990s and beyond might have been a car crash, or really interesting. But it would have need all four of them want it and not phone it in.
It's tempting to think that if MKI had stuck together through the '90s then the Britpop years may have been kind to them - they WERE getting cited as an influence, after all - especially if they'd knuckled down and produced some great work. The Britpop years weren't kind to MKII due to the change of personnel and being perceived as a band desperately clinging on after their main songwriter and frontman had left - when The Stranglers were being cited as an influence (and this holds true today also and for subsequent line-ups) it wasn't the MKII line-up that those people were referring to.
I disagree think now thinks have turned around in perception to a certain extent and I would say alot of people are just happy to see the band despite of the tragic loss of Dave, the last album 10 would have been a good album, or the version they recorded at JJs with Owen Morris, then CBS rejected it and gave them RTB which was always going be a cluster fuck, the Stranglers with Queens producer. What a terrible mistake. Lt Kudu.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I agree with you about even with the sad loss of Dave people are still happy to see the band and Toby is something else too and very quickly he has settled in the band playing everything put in front of him very well too and relaxed to fuck and enjoying himself that clearly is showing and why not i bet he can't believe as JJ had said that Toby had said i'm playing for the best band in the world ...great stuff!
The band are seeing the quick benefits of getting in a very good tribute player for sure knowing Dave inside out,as for 10 i can see many peoples opinion on getting in Queens producer but you know what i still love an over produced 10 that i thought was excellent along with it's tour being Hugh's last especially as for what was to follow for decades, there's no comparison in the pre and post '90 material in my eyes at all....but that's just my one fans opinion on the band.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 25 Mar 2022, 21:45, edited 2 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 11:06 You think bands see MKII and beyond as an influence Kudu? You need to smell your morning coffee mate :lol:

Scraping something from your argument the nearest I can get is Peter Hook citing that The Stranglers were a great live band circa 1992 in the NME but not a sausage from anyone after that.

Jim

Jim no I think alot of people are still happy to see the band still going, if they ended now, Stan would have nothing to moan ABOUT.Lt Kudu. :smt005
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 11:06 You think bands see MKII and beyond as an influence Kudu? You need to smell your morning coffee mate :lol:
He clearly didn't read (or understand) the post properly :lol:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 19:19

Jim

Jim no I think alot of people are still happy to see the band still going, if they ended now, Stan would have nothing to moan ABOUT.Lt Kudu. :smt005
Agreed and as jj pointed out that their gig sales are through the roof and and Baz said it kind of say's it all really,so yes the gigs are the proof in the pudding with so many sell out venues on this full UK tour that people are more than still happy to still see this band there's no argument on that front from what i can see of the tours and how they have gone down with such great reviews and reception,but people are entitled to think whatever they like about this current line up and that's their full prerogative to think and see it how they do,but my thoughts are all pretty much positive ones about how they are moving forwards with what they are doing pretty dam well.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 26 Mar 2022, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

I do wonder about this too sometimes. At the least I think Hugh wouldn't let themselves skimp on the studio production side that MK2 did
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cricklewood wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 22:49
I do wonder about this too sometimes. At the least I think Hugh wouldn't let themselves skimp on the studio production side that MK2 did
I think you may be right on that. Hugh has always seemed to recognise the important of having a great studio team - just look at the roll-call of producers/engineers he's worked with in his solo career! Had the classic line-up stayed together, there's no fucking way that Hugh would have allowed an album like Coup de Grace or even In the Night to leave the studio.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 23:21
Cricklewood wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 22:49

I think you may be right on that. Hugh has always seemed to recognise the important of having a great studio team - just look at the roll-call of producers/engineers he's worked with in his solo career! Had the classic line-up stayed together, there's no fucking way that Hugh would have allowed an album like Coup de Grace or even In the Night to leave the studio.
Agreed, but Hooverdam's crap vocal production was allowed to get released though which i still don't get to this day on an album full of great material which to me was a real shame not to get the main part sounding right and that was his vocal production from the engineers/producers right the way through the whole album,Hugh did an amazing studio one day take for the whole album i believe so he did his bit which sounded good on Blue Print but left the studio and got released sounding awful in my opinion and i don't often say that about his solo work lightly,so it happens to the best of them not always getting it right in my opinion.