New Rat Chat out

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: New Rat Chat out

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 00:03 Agreed, but Hooverdam's crap vocal production was allowed to get released
You don't work with a guy like Liam Watson (who - let's not forget - engineered The White Stripes successful album Elephant) unless you're intending on working in a particular way and expecting a certain type of sound. I'll concede that the Toe Rag sound didn't quite work for Hugh (and the sound of that album doesn't completely work for me) but it clearly was the record he intended to make. It's certainly a better sounding record than either In the Night or Coup de Grace.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 00:45
toilerinblack wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 00:03 Agreed, but Hooverdam's crap vocal production was allowed to get released
You don't work with a guy like Liam Watson (who - let's not forget - engineered The White Stripes successful album Elephant) unless you're intending on working in a particular way and expecting a certain type of sound. I'll concede that the Toe Rag sound didn't quite work for Hugh (and the sound of that album doesn't completely work for me) but it clearly was the record he intended to make. It's certainly a better sounding record than either In the Night or Coup de Grace.
Agreed Stan, it's just a shame that's all and i don't say it very often where Hugh's concerned,Coup well little said the better i agree too and In the night too i agree Stan but surely how Hooverdam finally ended up sounding like that couldn't of been the working intention of a particular way? if it was then in my opinion it was the wrong vocal production to an album which was full of great songs and i often wonder if Hugh liked his eventual long awaited album's final released version that sounds the way it does maybe he does i wouldn't know but i only ever play Blueprint whenever i do want to hear any of that albums tracks because the released studio version just makes me cringe when i listen to his vocal production side of it,like i say i love all of Hugh's solo albums which i can't say that about all of the Stranglers ones since he left which includes the two you have said for sure,but overall i agree with what your saying.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 26 Mar 2022, 02:24, edited 2 times in total.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Yes, hooverdam wasn't poor production it was an intended style. I'm one of the few who really like it Beat of my heart is one if my favourite stranger/hugh tracks.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yanders wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 01:07 Yes, hooverdam wasn't poor production it was an intended style. I'm one of the few who really like it Beat of my heart is one if my favourite stranger/hugh tracks.
Agreed,Beat Of My Heart is a beautiful song with a lovely lead solo in the middle of it too it's just perfect from Hugh that fits so well to the song it's just a lovely track but the vocal production isn't right to me again on what is a fantastic song,but again it's only my one fans opinion.Has Beat Of My Heart ever been done live by Hugh ? i'd love to hear a live version of that song if he has,iv'e never heard him do it live over the years iv'e seen him but that's not to say he hasn't i don't know.....But yes it's just a beautiful and underated song from him for sure in my opinion.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 01:11
Yanders wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 01:07 Yes, hooverdam wasn't poor production it was an intended style. I'm one of the few who really like it Beat of my heart is one if my favourite stranger/hugh tracks.
Agreed,Beat Of My Heart is a beautiful song with a lovely lead solo in the middle of it too it's just perfect from Hugh that fits so well to the song it's just a lovely track but the vocal production isn't right to me again on what is a fantastic song,but again it's only my one fans opinion.Has Beat Of My Heart ever been done live by Hugh ? i'd love to hear a live version of that song if he has,iv'e never heard him do it live over the years iv'e seen him but that's not to say he hasn't i don't know.....But yes it's just a beautiful and underated song from him for sure in my opinion.
Sir IMHO the vocals work for me, as obviously that's what he wanted, it's different to anything he has done before, I'm listening to Hugh albums again at the moment as I'm not well, so good to get a different perspective after so long, I got a bit bored with his solo albums for a long time, but now enjoying them again, playing Monster to death last week, a great album. Just wish there were live drums but it doesn't really detract from the quality material on that album, I just hope Pat and Windsor are on the new album, but I think he prefers working on his own now in studio. Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

OK it's seems like JJ is being trolled by some on this Forum now, he's actually in the Stranglers and so as a Strangler he is saying on the New Rat chat that their will be detractors, if you don't think it's the Stranglers tough fucking shit it is. Lt Kudu. :smt013
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

My advice is, if you don't like the Stranglers as they are now, just keep playing the albums with Hugh then you won't have to waste your time stressing how much you think the Stranglers aren't the Stranglers now.Lt Kudu. Maybe watch the Ratchat and see how much the tour meant to JJ and Baz and have some respect,instead of mean spirited pathetic purile comments, or at least be constructive.Lt Kudu. :smt013
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 13:46
toilerinblack wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 01:11
Sir IMHO the vocals work for me, as obviously that's what he wanted, it's different to anything he has done before, I'm listening to Hugh albums again at the moment as I'm not well, so good to get a different perspective after so long, I got a bit bored with his solo albums for a long time, but now enjoying them again, playing Monster to death last week, a great album. Just wish there were live drums but it doesn't really detract from the quality material on that album, I just hope Pat and Windsor are on the new album, but I think he prefers working on his own now in studio. Lt Kudu.
Pat and Windsor with live drums to a hard edge album would be bloody amazing i really hope that to be the case ,hope you get well soon.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I have a lot of time for "Beat of My Heart" ... it's one of those tracks where the melody feels like it's always existed, just an absolutely timeless feel.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Mar 2022, 22:01
I have a lot of time for "Beat of My Heart" ... it's one of those tracks where the melody feels like it's always existed, just an absolutely timeless feel.
Yep agreed there Stan too...it's all of the above that you have said.
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 23:18
"It's a nonsensical argument that it's not the same, of course it's not the same and nor do we want it to be the same."
Oh? That's okay, then. Just put a group of any old swinging dicks onstage and call them The Stranglers, then. I mean, that's all well and good if you want to spunk your credibility up the wall. That's essentially saying "it doesn't matter who is in the band" ... err, it DOES matter actually.
"Of course, if you have the same personnel then it may all end up the same."
What? You mean the thing that makes it The Stranglers? Now, that IS nonsensical.
"We've had more footfall on this tour than any other tour."
Ooh, I think we need a fact check on this one like media outlets do whenever Boris Johnson spouts some nonsense in parliament. Any footfall on this tour had nothing to do with the new line-up and more to do with the fact that it was billed as The Final Full UK Tour, the "tribute to Dave" element and because of the gap between tours due to COVID.
So i gather by what you have said that Hugh's band is the same, the only thing that differs is that its not called The Stranglers
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
Mart
Rats Rally

Post by Mart »

Its a shame that this forum has been dragged into the gutter by certain people who purport to be Stranglers fans but whose only aim is to run down the current line up until in the end even the band will question if it is worth continuing.
We all have our opinions of the different line ups that the band has had over the years, for me i have enjoyed all of them, change has to happen and is a good thing, it means nothing stands still, the last tour and album was exceptional and long may this line up continue recording and playing live, just in case any of the existing members read this, carry on, the detractors are very much in the minority.
What i dont get is the people who somehow think that the current Stranglers line up is somewhat of a tribute band however Hugh's band retains its Stranglers authenticity when in fact it is no different. Hugh's solo output for me, in the main, isnt good enough, ive seen him live a few times, nothing special in my opinion, to a point where on Wednesday he is playing ten minutes from my home and i cant be bothered to go and see him. That said i love the fact that he is still recording and playing live, long may he continue.
So lets stop posting this Vitriol against the band and rally behind both Hugh and The stranglers, the world would be a poorer place if both stooped recording and touring.
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said