Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: The Clash vs The Stranglers

Post by Jake »

Quoting has got hard, bare with me

I don’t want to sound snobbish, and I probably will but the stranglers were sort of too intellectually different for punk. I think there is an intellectual quality also up to around Feline, it drifts off a lot with Aural Sculpture, when in hindsight interpersonal relationships had started to fragment. Controversially, the stranglers use of narcotics ceased at this period, which could be argued meant they sounded more straight and less quirky.

I am not familiar with the clash stuff you mentioned, and I have been playing a fair bit of clash over the weekend, and continually getting to the point where it’s enough after a few songs.

I don’t mind bits of Combat Rock, I believe The Clash were filling the smaller stadiums in the states at this point, which ultimately led to their demise anyway it seems. I just watched a couple of different live appearances of “Guns of Brixton”, very atmospheric on the 80/81 appearances. Had no idea that Strummer strapped on a bass, and I guess that was so Paul could put his all into the vocals. There was another version from 83 I watched and Topper was no longer in them, the drummer was pretty crap, the clash looked and sounded like an exhausted and spent force clearly not getting on with each other anymore.

I don’t think I have ever listened to Cut the Crap, I would say it’s probably never had appeal as every punk older than me hated it profoundly and told me to avoid. I can’t say that I was a huge fan of Strummer’s solo material either, at Glastonbury 99, the last time I went, had a choice between seeing Siouxsie and Budgie as The Creatures or Joe Strummer and still think I chose wisely in going to see Siouxsie.
parasiteinblack wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 23:27
Jake wrote: 04 Dec 2022, 23:00 I agree, the most interesting period is from Black and White to La Folie and Feline too, I rate that so incredibly highly, a lot of punters still don’t. I think a lot of people talk of the stranglers with this sense of being English eccentrics, but don’t often refer to the European quality of the stranglers. That’s never going away, and there is a very European sound from The Raven onwards really. Never mind every album prior to that has really strong European references.

It’s pretty much commonplace that European culture gets noted in some way on stranglers records, from the beginning in fact. Sure The Clash brought us “Safe European Home” but the stranglers records are like encyclopaedic knowledge of European affairs. One of the reasons I developed an interest in European history and culture was exposure to the stranglers.

A lot of people are probably indifferent towards Euroman, I think it was a really blessing JJ made that album, The Raven was recorded in Paris, Meninblack across Europe in several studios I believe.
Even though La Folie was recorded in leafy England, it is so very obvious as a European album, and I believe the single of La Folie was more appreciated on the continent. One of my European memories in life is hearing Skin Deep frequently blasting out on the radio in the 90§s still, The Stranglers to this day retain a decent enough following in Europe. I’m fairly sure Hugh does as well, and I would also say Hugh still has European influence in his music, he’s a nifty Spanish style guitar player as well as singing about Cadiz etc
Yes definitely, the European aspect to the Stranglers work is integral to the appeal really and helped to set them apart from a lot of the other bands. I, too, have taken more interest in history and politics as a result of the Stranglers output.
I really like the Euroman album and the fact it went top 40 is mindblowing really considering how it's not really commercial in the slightest. Really interesting stuff.
Back onto The Clash briefly, I would say certainly they also had very English sensibilities, but it was perhaps their tendency to lean towards an American sound which helped them break America. Strummer was at times a great singer, but both him and Jonesey especially leaned towards American accents. I have heard this helps British bands to sell, and get the American sales, the more American sounding the singer is, the more likely an American audience will relate, makes a lot of sense

I have to say some of my favourites are their reggae numbers. I think “Guns of Brixton” is a serious contender for a song of all time. I recently find myself appreciating what The Clash were doing with Reggae, to my mind them and The Ruts were around a very limited number of credible white reggae numbers. Police and Thieves, is definitely on par with the original and it represents an important period of white people in England rejecting racism, always a long way to go, people can say what they like about the politics of The Clash, I have said it a lot of it myself, but I do think they had a role, however small in improving race relations in Britain.

Simonon coming from Brixton I think in retrospect wrote something of a prophecy in Guns which at the moment is one of my favourite songs period. I can not recommend enough the history of Brixton podcast of which Simonon was an occasional contributor if anyone wants a bit of history the link is below, oddly enough I don’t think the song Guns of Brixton is mentioned once. It’s a seriously good history documentary series to my mind all white people of Great Britain should engage with such things

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09cyg ... /downloads
Yeah I also quite like their reggae stuff. Guns of Brixton is a classic and I quite like Crooked Beat as well.
The Clash's english sensibilities I think are often more obvious on their less-loved stuff such as bsides like Stop the World, the Cut the Crap and Give Em Enough Rope albums and the tracks from the Combat Rock sessions that went unreleased for years.
They're worth checking out if you haven't heard them, it's like they're from an alternative reality where Combat Rock didn't crack the American charts and the Clash were more like a late 80s british indie band. Maybe I'm just talking crap though haha.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Jake wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 00:52 I don’t want to sound snobbish, and I probably will but the stranglers were sort of too intellectually different for punk. I think there is an intellectual quality also up to around Feline, it drifts off a lot with Aural Sculpture, when in hindsight interpersonal relationships had started to fragment. Controversially, the stranglers use of narcotics ceased at this period, which could be argued meant they sounded more straight and less quirky.
Yes, I'd go along with this.
I am not familiar with the clash stuff you mentioned, and I have been playing a fair bit of clash over the weekend, and continually getting to the point where it’s enough after a few songs.

I don’t mind bits of Combat Rock, I believe The Clash were filling the smaller stadiums in the states at this point, which ultimately led to their demise anyway it seems. I just watched a couple of different live appearances of “Guns of Brixton”, very atmospheric on the 80/81 appearances. Had no idea that Strummer strapped on a bass, and I guess that was so Paul could put his all into the vocals. There was another version from 83 I watched and Topper was no longer in them, the drummer was pretty crap, the clash looked and sounded like an exhausted and spent force clearly not getting on with each other anymore.

I don’t think I have ever listened to Cut the Crap, I would say it’s probably never had appeal as every punk older than me hated it profoundly and told me to avoid. I can’t say that I was a huge fan of Strummer’s solo material either, at Glastonbury 99, the last time I went, had a choice between seeing Siouxsie and Budgie as The Creatures or Joe Strummer and still think I chose wisely in going to see Siouxsie.
Yeah Topper is missed after 82, but Pete from the MKII lineup seems a decent guy.
I think the most traditionally sounding Clash song on Cut The Crap is "Three Card Trick" if you wanted a safe place to start. I tend to like the ones the normal Clash fans hate and claim are ridiculous (Life Is Wild, Are You Red...Y), but they're a bit synthier and don't really sound anything like the stuff that made them famous.

Tough one on the Glasto choice. I quite like some of the Mescaleros stuff (mainly the 2001 album Global A Go Go, the others aren't anywhere near as good), but the live versions I've heard didn't sound great whereas I'm sure watching Siouxsie and Budgie would be fantastic. I haven't seen any of those artists live sadly.

Strummer was doing a signing in Oxford Street in 2001 and I was going to go but my dad couldn't get off work early enough and we couldn't make it. The following year he had died so I never got the chance. I do regret that.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

To sum up two great bands,I won't even say the Stranglers are better as both bands so different,I will say the Clash made more of an impact worldwide,but doesn't mean they were better than the Stranglers,Two different entities.Lt Kudu.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Well what's "better" always depends on what you prefer. I liked both, but Stranglers mk1 made at least 9 good albums, whereas the Clash made 4, (maybe 5 if you like Sandinista)
I Hate You !
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Oh man, I can understand that would be something that I would regret too

Tried listening to Sandinista earlier, I was surprised to find that I still had a copy, had assumed it had been put on the for sale pile, kind of glad I hadn’t departed with it.

Some good songs on it, it just seems like The Clash were trying to anything and everything, and it’s not very cohesive, sounds disjointed, but somehow like a concept album, I did not get further than disc one. I think there’s a bit of a consensus that one great album could have come out of Sandinista, in fact wasn’t this a case of The Clash trying to get out of there CBS contract quicker?

parasiteinblack wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 18:11

Yeah Topper is missed after 82, but Pete from the MKII lineup seems a decent guy.
I think the most traditionally sounding Clash song on Cut The Crap is "Three Card Trick" if you wanted a safe place to start. I tend to like the ones the normal Clash fans hate and claim are ridiculous (Life Is Wild, Are You Red...Y), but they're a bit synthier and don't really sound anything like the stuff that made them famous.

Tough one on the Glasto choice. I quite like some of the Mescaleros stuff (mainly the 2001 album Global A Go Go, the others aren't anywhere near as good), but the live versions I've heard didn't sound great whereas I'm sure watching Siouxsie and Budgie would be fantastic. I haven't seen any of those artists live sadly.

Strummer was doing a signing in Oxford Street in 2001 and I was going to go but my dad couldn't get off work early enough and we couldn't make it. The following year he had died so I never got the chance. I do regret that.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Jake wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 19:47 Tried listening to Sandinista earlier, I was surprised to find that I still had a copy, had assumed it had been put on the for sale pile, kind of glad I hadn’t departed with it.

Some good songs on it, it just seems like The Clash were trying to anything and everything, and it’s not very cohesive, sounds disjointed, but somehow like a concept album, I did not get further than disc one. I think there’s a bit of a consensus that one great album could have come out of Sandinista, in fact wasn’t this a case of The Clash trying to get out of there CBS contract quicker?
Hmm possibly, I remember an interview where Joe was moaning that he thought he'd signed a five album deal but it turned out to be ten, maybe that has something to do with it.
I agree that it's disjointed and lacking cohesion, which makes it feel like a concept album, and it doesn't help that the crappier songs are all muddled in with the great ones!
Off the top of my head I think side 1 of the original triple LP was pretty consistent, sides 2, 3 and 4 are a mix of gems with unnecessary tracks like "Look Here", side 5 starts getting a bit weird and then it falls apart on side 6.
I reckon you could get a consistently strong double LP out of it, and one that I'd enjoy more than London Calling I reckon.
London Calling is great but massively overrated and there's a lot of stuff I really don't like on it like Lover's Rock, Right Profile, Train In Vain, Wrong Em Boyo etc etc...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I saw Strummer at Glasto and thought he was alright. I don't really rate his solo stuff beyond Earthquake Weather. Whilst Sandanista is fairly experimental I find it probably their best. As mentioned it would make a killer double album. Despite that I find the rest of their stuff fairly similar. Unlike The Stranglers where pretty much every album is different. They operate on an additional musical dimension to the Clash.

That said I do love The Clash. Great band

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

parasiteinblack wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 22:38

Hmm possibly, I remember an interview where Joe was moaning that he thought he'd signed a five album deal but it turned out to be ten, maybe that has something to do with it.
I agree that it's disjointed and lacking cohesion, which makes it feel like a concept album, and it doesn't help that the crappier songs are all muddled in with the great ones!
Off the top of my head I think side 1 of the original triple LP was pretty consistent, sides 2, 3 and 4 are a mix of gems with unnecessary tracks like "Look Here", side 5 starts getting a bit weird and then it falls apart on side 6.
I reckon you could get a consistently strong double LP out of it, and one that I'd enjoy more than London Calling I reckon.
London Calling is great but massively overrated and there's a lot of stuff I really don't like on it like Lover's Rock, Right Profile, Train In Vain, Wrong Em Boyo etc etc...

Been meaning to get back to this all day; I don’t know but it’s possible this discussion made me do a playlist of one album from “London Calling”, with a slight cheat, I know others may disagree on the ultimate tracks from London Calling ,not in order of preference, my absolute diamond of a London Calling single album goes:

London Calling
Rudie Can’t Fail
Lost In the Supermarket
Clampdown
Guns of Brixton
Koko Kola
Revolution Rock

and given they are from the time

Armagedion Time
Bankrobber

I tend to like much less the rest of the tracks on London Calling, the ones you mentioned aren’t great. There’s no doubt the title track is an all time classic, guitar, vocals, lyrics, drums and bass, but what an awful track to follow with a cover version of a song I believe JJ also covered in the Purple Helmets. I mean you can argue rock’n’roll, but surely an example of chasing the American sales, perhaps most likely at the behest of CBS. Pink Cadillac seems to me a really poor choice of a song to follow such a perfect album opener that it almost makes it not a classic album for that fact alone, but then again it is a classic album, but maybe overrated to a large extent

I don’t think I have it in me to do a Sandinista one just yet, but what you say is true, and I reckon that virtually no one in the history of music fans really gets much further than side 2 or 3. I did the first disc on CD yesterday and it is pretty decent in places, not a terrible album by any means.

It seems to be the case that The Clash sacrificed royalties for insisting on being 3 albums at a cheaper retail price, it wasn’t as successful as previous Clash albums sales wise, so that can explain why they had to come up with the goods for CBS and do SISOSIG

I do wonder what a double or triple album could have been for the stranglers had they made one in 1979/1980, probably excellent. It also got me thinking the stranglers have more punk credentials than the clash for only making single albums, but realistically The Clash were doing the double and triple album purely because they wanted to hurry the CBS contract it seems. It did give them a lot of room for experimentation, and the clash I would say had alienated a lot of their punk audience before Combat Rock for sure, but gained a new audience elsewhere, so that’s similar to the stranglers I guess 8)
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I like a few songs by the Clash but I don't really see why they are so adored by the music media etc. Maybe I need to preservere with their albums a bit more.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

jason wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 13:46 I like a few songs by the Clash but I don't really see why they are so adored by the music media etc. Maybe I need to preservere with their albums a bit more.
Mixture of things really and depending on how cynical one is really

I don’t know if The Clash are overrated really, maybe from most stranglers fans point of view they are, and a lot of punk types would say that too. I think it’s good the music of The Clash is still much talked about, and it’s true to say they were a pretty huge influence on many artists since
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Back to this old chestnut again

Circumstances meant The Clash are amongst a very limited amount of music that gets my mood these days

Earlier listened to the first album, it has some moments of sheer quality, but a fair few songs that I would generally prefer to skip, half of the album at least is classic, it’s a fairly early lp released as U.K. punk, it’s sort of a punk classic I’ll give it that

Give em enough Rope, not only is the literal definition of “difficult second album”, and lives up to the title, it is ropey. But it also has a fair share of classics; Safe European Home, English Civil War, Tommy Gun, Stay Free in my view is the best Mick Jones did. Went through a phase many years ago of repeatedly viewing the Clash movie “Rude Boy”, always found the bits in the studio interesting when Mick’s recording “Stay Free”. Joe’s vocal on “All the young punks” came over really authentic when he’s filmed doing the studio takes, but there’s just something a bit dull about the finished product, produced by Sandy Pearlman and clearly not a good working relationship, he reportedly hated Strummer’s voice, which is maybe why the rawness of his vocals in the film are completely lost in the final mix

I’ll still struggle to say there is a definitive consistently classic Clash album, yet every album (77-82) has its share of classics
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I do love the Clash but in a similar way to you Jake it's not something I play often - particularly the first 2 albums. I think the first one still sounds pretty vital but it's a bit of a one trick pony. The second sounds cheesy if I'm honest. Sure there are some classics on there but as a whole it hasn't aged well IMO.

If I pick up any Clash these days it's either Combat Rock or Cut The Crap (yeah I know right?)

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"