The Clash vs The Stranglers

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: The Clash vs The Stranglers

Post by jonimac »

They are part 2 of my triumvirate of overrate.
3 bands who I can never understand why they generate such adulation with such patchy output.

(1) The Stones
(2) The Clash
(3) Primal Scream
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jonimac wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 10:25 They are part 2 of my triumvirate of overrate.
3 bands who I can never understand why they generate such adulation with such patchy output.

(1) The Stones
(2) The Clash
(3) Primal Scream
I agree about Primal Scream I just don't get them and I find their lead singer so annoying, people should never criticise Mr Roberts after Primal Screams lead singers stage antics, but again its personal opinion. Lt Kudu. :smt013
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Lots of money isn't the only measure of success.
Never said it was. We were talking about Jets business sense compared to Rhodes.

Being a successful musician is probably someone who doesn't have to rely on anything else to make money. Being a better business person is one that makes the most money.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

jonimac wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 10:25 They are part 2 of my triumvirate of overrate.

(1) The Stones
(2) The Clash
(3) Primal Scream
I can't argue with that list. I think Bowie gets forgiven for a lot of dodgy output too.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 10:33 I agree about Primal Scream I just don't get them and I find their lead singer so annoying
Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR are excellent albums. I prefer Primal Scream when they make abrasive art-rock albums rather than when they self-conscious ape early '70s Rolling Stones. That you don't "get" them surprises me none.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

(1) The Stones
(2) The Clash
(3) Primal Scream
The Rolling Stones' adulation is based on being an excellent singles band up until 1968 until briefly turning into an excellent albums band from 1968-1972. From 1972-1981 they were at best brilliant and at worst shite and they probably should have split up after Tattoo You and "Start Me Up", because the albums were just an excuse to tour after that point and none of them are particularly any good in full.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 23:45
Greatkudu wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 10:33 I agree about Primal Scream I just don't get them and I find their lead singer so annoying
Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR are excellent albums. I prefer Primal Scream when they make abrasive art-rock albums rather than when they self-conscious ape early '70s Rolling Stones. That you don't "get" them surprises me none.
Do I care about what you think of anything about me no i dont. Lt Kudu :smt013
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Mar 2022, 23:49

(1) The Stones
(2) The Clash
(3) Primal Scream
The Rolling Stones' adulation is based on being an excellent singles band up until 1968 until briefly turning into an excellent albums band from 1968-1972. From 1972-1981 they were at best brilliant and at worst shite and they probably should have split up after Tattoo You and "Start Me Up", because the albums were just an excuse to tour after that point and none of them are particularly any good in full.
Wrong again, the Reason is they are still a fantastic live band and have the greatest frontman ever, and people love their music. You seem to think your views are above everyone else's, wrong again.I suppose they are Jagger and friends now without Mr Watts.He gave his blessing for the Stones to continue as did Jet. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 09:38

(1) The Stones
(2) The Clash
(3) Primal Scream
Wrong again, the Reason is they are still a fantastic live band and have the greatest frontman ever, and people love their music. You seem to think your views are above everyone else's, wrong again.I suppose they are Jagger and friends now without Mr Watts.He gave his blessing for the Stones to continue as did Jet. Lt Kudu.
Yes, the Stones' reputation is entirely built on their live act in 2022 and not based on songs like "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Paint It Black", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk Women", "Brown Sugar" and/or albums like Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street. Only in your world, obviously.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:59

Yes, the Stones' reputation is entirely built on their live act in 2022 and not based on songs like "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", "Paint It Black", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", "Honky Tonk Women", "Brown Sugar" and/or albums like Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street. Only in your world, obviously.
You don't know my world, never presume. Lt Kudu. Over and out.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 12:03
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:59

You don't know my world, never presume. Lt Kudu. Over and out.
I don't need to presume anything. I know your viewpoint on the Stones is very comfortably a minority opinion. A minority of one at that.
strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch »

I'm old enough to have seen the Clash live back in the day
And I have to say,they were stonkingly good
Probably my 2nd favourite band up until London Calling
But quite some distance behind the Stranglers
See You At The Bar