Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 03:17
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 21:51
theraven1979 wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 21:25 If you still fit in a jacket you wore when you were at school then you should see a doctor immediately. I'm not joking.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Oh no that Jacket has long gone, I'm talking about Jackets bought after 2000.Lt Kudu.
Oh gotcha lol..they say one man and his dog it should be one man and his leather jacket....always a must!
Sir yes, nothing against dogs but I'm more a Cat person. One man and his motorbike maybe? Lt Kudu. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 10:37
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 21:51

Oh no that Jacket has long gone, I'm talking about Jackets bought after 2000.Lt Kudu.
Oh gotcha lol..they say one man and his dog it should be one man and his leather jacket....always a must!
Sir yes, nothing against dogs but I'm more a Cat person. One man and his motorbike maybe? Lt Kudu. :smt005
Yes anyway it was nice to have a laugh on here on the last few posts reflecting our youthful days at school with this band ark at us the the stranglers old brigade hardcore.I tell ya something one of my mates whose not a Stranglers fan at all was telling me that someone gave him the vinyl 3D Raven album for nothing or whatever so he thought one day when he had nothing to do he'd give it a real go and listen to the whole album whilst also reading the lyrics on the cover and this is someone who hasn't heard any of it before who then txt me to say that this album blew him away and he keeps playing it,i think it's fair to say that the Raven was revolutionary and a leading masterpiece for it's time out on it's own from the rest of their material it was in a way ground breaking i think after B&W, i mean i've always had my own favourite's from MK1 over the years but on here myself say in the last 5-6 months have said all these years later the Raven was a far better album that should be right up there along their best for sure i can see that now myself even thought albums like La Folie and Dreamtime does reflect my best times seeing them live early eighties so those two will always be so special,anyway i just thought i'd mention someone whose never listened to the stranglers going nuts for the Raven and that's decades after it's release and what with music having changed also so much since in itself to still think that of that album is amazing i think to have those views as a stranglers novice blowing him away like that does truly speak volumes to this bands writing quality and ability at that point in time.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Mar 2022, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 12:45
Yes anyway it was nice to have a laugh on here on the last few posts reflecting our youthful days at school with this band ark at us the the stranglers old brigade hardcore.I tell ya something one of my mates whose not a Stranglers fan at all was telling me that someone gave him the vinyl 3D Raven album for nothing or whatever so he thought one day when he had nothing to do he'd give it a real go and listen to the whole album whilst also reading the lyrics on the cover and this is someone who hasn't heard any of it before who then txt me to see that this album blew him away and he keeps playing it,i think it's fair to say that the Raven was revolutionary and a leading masterpiece for it's time out on it's own from the rest of their material it was in a way ground breaking i think after B&W, i mean i've always had my own favourite's from MK1 over the years but on here myself say in the last 5-6 months have said all these years later the Raven was a far better album that should be right up there along their best for sure i can see that now myself even thought albums like La Folie and Dreamtime does reflect my best times seeing them live early eighties so those two will always be so special,anyway i just thought i'd mention someone whose never listened to the stranglers going nuts for the Raven and that's decades after it's release and what with music having changed also so much since in itself to still think that of that album is amazing i think to have those views as a stranglers novice blowing him away like that does truly speak volumes to this bands writing quality and ability at that point in time.
Sir interesting, I still think the Raven is their finest album, but at the moment its Dark Matters, this will be controversial but I would say Its up their with some of their classics IMHO. I keep playing it, and love all the songs. Lt Kudu the sixth Beatle. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 13:02

Yes anyway it was nice to have a laugh on here on the last few posts reflecting our youthful days at school with this band ark at us the the stranglers old brigade hardcore.I tell ya something one of my mates whose not a Stranglers fan at all was telling me that someone gave him the vinyl 3D Raven album for nothing or whatever so he thought one day when he had nothing to do he'd give it a real go and listen to the whole album whilst also reading the lyrics on the cover and this is someone who hasn't heard any of it before who then txt me to see that this album blew him away and he keeps playing it,i think it's fair to say that the Raven was revolutionary and a leading masterpiece for it's time out on it's own from the rest of their material it was in a way ground breaking i think after B&W, i mean i've always had my own favourite's from MK1 over the years but on here myself say in the last 5-6 months have said all these years later the Raven was a far better album that should be right up there along their best for sure i can see that now myself even thought albums like La Folie and Dreamtime does reflect my best times seeing them live early eighties so those two will always be so special,anyway i just thought i'd mention someone whose never listened to the stranglers going nuts for the Raven and that's decades after it's release and what with music having changed also so much since in itself to still think that of that album is amazing i think to have those views as a stranglers novice blowing him away like that does truly speak volumes to this bands writing quality and ability at that point in time.
Sir interesting, I still think the Raven is their finest album, but at the moment its Dark Matters, this will be controversial but I would say Its up their with some of their classics IMHO. I keep playing it, and love all the songs. Lt Kudu the sixth Beatle. :smt005
Wow! that speaks volumes and says exactly how good it is obviously it's each to their own and we all view and hear music differently and i never forget that fact even if i really don't agree with people's opinions which is quite a lot on the whole nowday's lol
Of course DM is nothing what MK1 had and stood for if it did sound the same they would either very boringly be copying but where would the new creative satisfaction be as a musician if that was the case to sound exactly what you was producing yourself and with Hugh more than 30 or 40 years previous why bother.As a musician you always want to be experimenting or creating something new that's you creative buzz of your craft otherwise don't bother getting out of bed for hard studio time and money just stay in bed and gig hit tours for your living which is fine and that is only what some musician's only want too do and that's fine,but if you have anything like the new creativeness or say JJ then you want to keep going with something new and boy DM has that for me too i agree.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Mar 2022, 20:06, edited 3 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 13:29
Wow! that speaks volumes and says exactly how good it is obviously it's each to their own and we all view and hear music differently and never forget that that fact even if i really don't agree with people's opinions which is quite a lot lol
Of course DM is nothing what MK1 had and stood for it it did sound the same they would either very boringly be copying but where would the new creative satisfaction be as a musician if that was the case to sound exactly what you was producing yourself and with Hugh more than 30 or 40 years previous why bother.As a musician you always want to be experimenting or creating something new that's you creative buzz of your craft otherwise don't bother getting out of bed for hard studio time and money just stay in bed and gig hit tours for your living which is fine and that is only what some musician's only want too do and that's fine,but if you have anything like the new creativeness or say JJ then you want to keep going with something new and boy DM has that for me too i agree.
Sir yes its all opinions, but maybe I was a bit rash, but it's like Hughs albums, it's pointless to compare to his Stranglers ones as the music stands on its own, but Its natural that we will, my fave song today is water, and its one of the songs thats all Dave's keys, the only thing I would like to know is which songs have added keyboards from Louie? Apart from the obvious ie White Stallion, but I just wonder if any other songs have added keyboards? Lt Kudu.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 14:07 the only thing I would like to know is which songs have added keyboards from Louie? Apart from the obvious ie White Stallion, but I just wonder if any other songs have added keyboards? Lt Kudu.
Maybe the added part to 'This Song'? It wasn't part of the live version when they used to play it with Dave.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

markorbit wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 18:56
Greatkudu wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 14:07 the only thing I would like to know is which songs have added keyboards from Louie? Apart from the obvious ie White Stallion, but I just wonder if any other songs have added keyboards? Lt Kudu.
Maybe the added part to 'This Song'? It wasn't part of the live version when they used to play it with Dave.
Yes the organ bit in the middle sounds added.Lt Kudu
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 14:07
toilerinblack wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 13:29

Wow! that speaks volumes and says exactly how good it is obviously it's each to their own and we all view and hear music differently and never forget that that fact even if i really don't agree with people's opinions which is quite a lot lol
Of course DM is nothing what MK1 had and stood for it it did sound the same they would either very boringly be copying but where would the new creative satisfaction be as a musician if that was the case to sound exactly what you was producing yourself and with Hugh more than 30 or 40 years previous why bother.As a musician you always want to be experimenting or creating something new that's you creative buzz of your craft otherwise don't bother getting out of bed for hard studio time and money just stay in bed and gig hit tours for your living which is fine and that is only what some musician's only want too do and that's fine,but if you have anything like the new creativeness or say JJ then you want to keep going with something new and boy DM has that for me too i agree.
Sir yes its all opinions, but maybe I was a bit rash, but it's like Hughs albums, it's pointless to compare to his Stranglers ones as the music stands on its own, but Its natural that we will, my fave song today is water, and its one of the songs thats all Dave's keys, the only thing I would like to know is which songs have added keyboards from Louie? Apart from the obvious ie White Stallion, but I just wonder if any other songs have added keyboards? Lt Kudu.
Well i agree again with you that Water just sounds better with time if that's possible,if people don't like the more newer fresher different sounds to some of DM tracks but still wants to hear that classic and typical stranglers styled song then this one just stands out at you and pokes you in the eye saying well what about this f.....g track then,it's a typical JJ written stranglers song at it's best but then i always thought that even on the more earlier live version's first tested out on the fans from a few years back that you still knew that the eventual studio album's version would turn out to be a blinder once it had been put through the mill so to speak.This song has a classic Dave trademark through it that just keeps reminding myself why i will always miss his simply genius key parts and playing that somehow even after 46 years of different songs still played his parts and solos that fitted in so well for that particular song your listening to at the time a genius to the end even on DM he was simply brilliant and i don't know to this day how he always somehow come up with the right goods that would often make that song as good as it was.Agreed the front runners still for me on this album hasn't changed and still the two i play the most...Moon,Water and i kept saying please open the gig with Water and they did and boy that worked so well.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

markorbit wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 18:56
Yes and obviously White Stallion to has alot of added Keys courtesy of old Louie. Some lovely keyboard work from Dave on Breathe, I love that song, its so different to anything they have done before, and I think it's Mr Warnes best guitar riff since he joined the band, sublime IMHO. I think Baz really has come into his own with this album IMHO. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I agree about what your saying about baz's guitaring on DM tracks as a whole where it has been some of his best since work since he became a Strangler for me too.