Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

Post by Greatkudu »

This sounds a bit anorach territory, but I can't help noticing that Jim Mac has changed the bass drum parts on some of the older songs ie Heroes,Change and Toiler, I just wonder if JJ has had to adapt his playing? It's not a criticism but just an observation, only a drummer would notice possibly? I wonder if anyone else has noticed? Lt Kudu.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Re: Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

Post by Boody »

His drumming sounds more muscular (to my non-drummer’s ears) than Jet did. Didn’t Jet play in a jazz band at some point, or was he just an avid listener of jazz music? Either way that might have impacted his playing to make it more subtle.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Boody wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 17:24 His drumming sounds more muscular (to my non-drummer’s ears) than Jet did. Didn’t Jet play in a jazz band at some point, or was he just an avid listener of jazz music? Either way that might have impacted his playing to make it more subtle.
I believe Jet played Jazz and swing, but this is unrelated, Jim is actually playing different patterns on the bass drum on some older songs, ie Toiler doesn't have that odd bass drum part now, it's his choice, I just couldn't help noticing, but Jim is a real Tour De Force on the skins.Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm no drummer but he does sound different to Jet. Thought that ever since he joined. To my untrained ears he sounds more like yer standard rock drummer (a very good one) whereas Jet was a multitude of different styles.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 17:33
Boody wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 17:24 His drumming sounds more muscular (to my non-drummer’s ears) than Jet did. Didn’t Jet play in a jazz band at some point, or was he just an avid listener of jazz music? Either way that might have impacted his playing to make it more subtle.
I believe Jet played Jazz and swing, but this is unrelated, Jim is actually playing different patterns on the bass drum on some older songs, ie Toiler doesn't have that odd bass drum part now, it's his choice, I just couldn't help noticing, but Jim is a real Tour De Force on the skins.Lt Kudu.
]
Yes that stood out for me listening to this tour a lot and not being a drummer i noticed the difference in the bass drums overall sound being less and not being a drummer like you say noticing that his patterns have changed too but something's sounding different for sure there's a lack ofa deep thumpy bass drum and that's not a knock because i'm a massive Jim fan but something's sounding a lot lighter in it's sound that's hard to describe being a non drummer lol... whereas the keys have been perfect all round i've been really happy all round with the key playing and it's overall sound.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 01 Mar 2022, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 18:17
]
Yrs that stood out for me listening to this tour and not being a drummer i noticed the difference but wasn't so sure what he was doing different,for me it's not just patterns but the bass drum sound overall.
Yes he is using Ludwig drums which Jet had as a second kit years ago when he played Gretsch, then Jet used Promuco for a time and then Sonor around the Dreamtime period, and then changed to Yamaha 9000s up until he retired from playing, all very boring unless you are interested in the drums, as Jet used to say I play black drums when asked what drums he played, but Jim's drum sound is designed to give it a vintage sound especially the snare as he has a nice fat sound live, but he also uses two snares on his kit, which he used to good effect on Curfew where he used the copperphonic one in the bridge I think? Sorry for the boring information.Im a boring person so people tell me.Lt Kudu. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 19:08
toilerinblack wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 18:17

]
Yrs that stood out for me listening to this tour and not being a drummer i noticed the difference but wasn't so sure what he was doing different,for me it's not just patterns but the bass drum sound overall.
Yes he is using Ludwig drums which Jet had as a second kit years ago when he played Gretsch, then Jet used Promuco for a time and then Sonor around the Dreamtime period, and then changed to Yamaha 9000s up until he retired from playing, all very boring unless you are interested in the drums, as Jet used to say I play black drums when asked what drums he played, but Jim's drum sound is designed to give it a vintage sound especially the snare as he has a nice fat sound live, but he also uses two snares on his kit, which he used to good effect on Curfew where he used the copperphonic one in the bridge I think? Sorry for the boring information.Im a boring person so people tell me.Lt Kudu. :smt005
Gotcha well kind of lol the two drummes are very different i can see that in style and equipment that does make a difference.I mean we all know that Jet being the jazz drummer was clearly a one off,Jim has done a great job for sure but i'm noticing the difference maybe a lot slower than you being the drummer and i'm not lol....i'll stick to what i know with guitars lol thanks for the drum lesson on equipment.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 02 Mar 2022, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 17:12 This sounds a bit anorach territory, but I can't help noticing that Jim Mac has changed the bass drum parts on some of the older songs ie Heroes,Change and Toiler, I just wonder if JJ has had to adapt his playing? It's not a criticism but just an observation, only a drummer would notice possibly? I wonder if anyone else has noticed? Lt Kudu.
Just compared Toiler from Ally Pally to a 2022 show. Are you referring to JIm's 1+2 hits to Jet's 2+2 hits ie: Jim goes boom, splat, boom boom splat. Jet goes boom boom splat, boom boom splat?

Quite a big change really. JJ wouldn't need to change anything but I am surprised at the change. The older groove is best to me.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

markorbit wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 19:34
Greatkudu wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 17:12 This sounds a bit anorach territory, but I can't help noticing that Jim Mac has changed the bass drum parts on some of the older songs ie Heroes,Change and Toiler, I just wonder if JJ has had to adapt his playing? It's not a criticism but just an observation, only a drummer would notice possibly? I wonder if anyone else has noticed? Lt Kudu.
Just compared Toiler from Ally Pally to a 2022 show. Are you referring to JIm's 1+2 hits to Jet's 2+2 hits ie: Jim goes boom, splat, boom boom splat. Jet goes boom boom splat, boom boom splat?

Quite a big change really. JJ wouldn't need to change anything but I am surprised at the change. The older groove is best to me.
Just listened to the two that you have said and yes like you say there is a big difference between the two starts from the two drummers, i do too prefer Jet's it went so well to JJ's bass intro,the ally fog toiler will always a special toiler for me as i was there near Hugh watching him sing it as a strangler for the last time so that version will always be special to me i play it a lot, but yes i agree too i prefer Jet's pattern that is i think a perfect match to JJ's bass......but hey Jim's is still bloody good.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 02 Mar 2022, 00:12, edited 2 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yes Sir spot on with what I was trying to say. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 19:43

Just listened to the two that you have said and yes like you say there is a big difference between the two starts from the two drummers, i do too prefer Jet's it went so well to JJ's bass intro,the ally fog toiler will always a special toiler for me as i was there near Hugh watching him sing it a strangler so that version will always be special to me i play it a lot, but yes i agree too i prefer Jet's pattern that is think is a perfect match to JJ's bass,but hey Jim's is still bloody good.
Sir I have to say the way Jet played it is harder, its quite tricky to keep that precision going the way Jet played it, Jim also simplifies the bass drum bit on the run down to the end of Heroes, if you listen to the version on all live and night you will hear what I mean, again it's fucking hard to keep the precision, But Jim is still a great drummer IMHO, but fuck he hits hard and has arms like tree trunks. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Skindeep81
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Skindeep81 »

I wouldnt be surprised if JJ has something to do with that. Didn't he mention on that recent French interview some of the bass drums parts weren't played how he wanted or they realised they were done different...maybe he wanted to change things up abit.

Just a thought.