Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 15:19
Greatkudu wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 14:52
toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 14:22
Intresting your right about the more crowd interaction from what i can see of it from the outside looking in especially from jj with the raised arms like you say and all the lights going it's all great stuff must of been great to be apart of all that.This band still whatever peoples own opinions are of today's state of play is far from finished they seem fresh who are playing extremely tight and full or energy from somewhere they certainly are giving the fans a good show and surely at the end of the day that's what it's all about fans going away happy to the band earning their crust,i can see them going for as long as they feel they can or want to and as musicians and second to none and your biggest buzz is to play to an audience,studio recordings i believe is just a small part to their career and the only way you can ever tell what people think of your material is to play it live to them and i think there is no bigger buzz than that and with this band the proof in the pudding is at JJs age whose played for 47 years odd for this band who clearly still is enjoying the crowd more than ever, i've never seen him so relaxed and happy on stage quite remarkable a buzz that never leaves them which they will miss so much when the time does come when they hang up their dms.... and for the fans who are still happy with this current line up let's all hope it's a long time off yet.
Yes as JJ said, he can be himself these days, it was great fun his putting his arms up, and he says more to the audience now, and he looks amazing at 70,a great example of what Karate does for you, I train ad hoc in Kung Fu and kick boxing but I'm no Sensei. Lt Kudu. Think of me as more Karate kid. :smt005
Lol Karate kid...Wax On Wax Off!
Yes an inner outer block,one of my favourite films. Daniel San.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 15:02 I thought JJ's back was fucked?

As for crowd interaction - no thanks. I almost walked out of a gig once when the lead singer started doing that "hey c'mon everyone clap your hands" bullshit.

But yeah each to their own. The Stranglers live shows now are all about entertainment and tribute to a time (and band) gone by.

Jim
No i can't agree there at all with them just being an entertainment tribute band to times gone by,they certainly aren't either they are a band playing a lot of the gig with their own new material which will obviously be mixed in with the old ones naturally because those songs is what made the band who they are today and the fans still want to hear those being played still it's part of a Hits tour,in my view their not a tribute band and yes they are entertaining the fans and involving them a little and why not it can only make it a good gig for both the band and and it's fans in my opinion,i say keep doing what they are doing because they are right on the money giving a good gig i'd rather see a band like that than some boring one with no energetic involvement at all,keep sending away the fans happy which they have been doing on both the French & UK tour...again only my fan fans view on it.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 10 Mar 2022, 20:06, edited 2 times in total.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"A lot of their own new material"? The setlist is 75% Hugh era songs.

Jim
toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 17:56
theraven1979 wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 15:02 I thought JJ's back was fucked?

As for crowd interaction - no thanks. I almost walked out of a gig once when the lead singer started doing that "hey c'mon everyone clap your hands" bullshit.

But yeah each to their own. The Stranglers live shows now are all about entertainment and tribute to a time (and band) gone by.

Jim
No i can't agree there at all with them just being an entertainment tribute band to times gone by,they certainly are not either they are a band playing now a lot of their own new material which is obviously mixed in with the old ones naturally because those songs is what made the band who they are today and the fans still want to hear those be played still,in my view their not a tribute band and yes they are entertaining the fans and involving them a little and why not it can only make it a good gig for both the band and and it's fans in my opinion,i say keep doing what they are doing because they are right on the money giving a good gig i'd rather see a band like that than some boring one with no energetic involvement at all,keep sending away the fans happy which they have been doing on both the French & UK tour...again only my fan fans view on it.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well it's a hits tour they are always going to play more of the MK1 material i don't know about the overall percentage to pre '90 is is it 75%? i don't know but i do feel they aren't a tribute entertainment one that i think is an unfair description to who they are and what they are doing,but again it's only my view on it your entitled to how you see the current line up is today and i respect that,i think on this final full tour they are giving it everything including the kitchen sink to make it a good tribute tour to remember and i think they have more than done that with mostly only blinding reviews from all over the place from those who have gone...but each to their own from a band whose just released an album with tracks that sound like nothing i've ever heard from them as the Hugh band....but again only my take on it from a band whose been opening on this current tour with Water at times which is this current bands new material not opening with a safe MK1 classic from the past which i think also say's a lot about their belief in themselves and their new music too .
So it's swings and roundabout's from a band that i think has moved away from the MK1 label now for sure but will always have to play the old ones fans expect them to play and want to hear and after all they are the paying public,i never heard any operatics when Hugh was in the band whose not inmy view riding off any MK1 backs but again it's only how i see it . and as usual each to their own.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 10 Mar 2022, 20:13, edited 3 times in total.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

They consistently only ever play 7, maybe 8 post hugh tracks at a gig, out of 24 or so. It must be written into their contact. Or they aren't confident that they'd sell tickets with baz era material.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Yanders wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 18:55 They consistently only ever play 7, maybe 8 post hugh tracks at a gig, out of 24 or so. It must be written into their contact. Or they aren't confident that they'd sell tickets with baz era material.
Of course so many come for the old songs, but the new ones went down well. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Blimey I think we all agree on this one!

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yes i suppose we all agree there lol that the fans are going for the old ones to hear those songs that made this band who they are today which being the MK1 fan i'am who does think it's their best period ever and is the reason i'm still a fan today but on the other hand i will give an honest opinion on how well currently i see this band doing and they are doing well i believe and i enjoy their new material some of their best post Hugh for sure and i'll still give credit where it's due and not just keep slamming them because their not the Hugh band from way back when whose nothing more now than a suggested tribute band ....but we all differ on opinions which is what makes jim's forum such a good one as it is....so may the healthy debates continue on lol
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

markorbit wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 13:33 There's shedloads on backing track on this one. Most of what you say Toby does is also on there. Deffo that distorted bass - which starts with a solo'd filtered version that is on backing - and I'd say the opera as well plus all the sound effects and risers in the right places.

We can see what JJ, Baz and Jim are doing but the rest... I'm not so sure but I would lean towards backing track.
Based off what I saw when the first videos of them performing it were doing the rounds, I'd say that pretty much the majority of "Stallion" was on backing.
droopsnoot wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 13:53 Look at the recent footage from France - the Arte Concert gig - and that's much better.
I had a quick look at this recently out of curiosity and couldn't get past the lacklustre rendition of "Heroes" ... so much fucking gurning too, not only Baz but Jim is getting in on the act as well. It's almost like they're doing it because that's how they believe a "Strangler" is supposed to act onstage, and I'm sure they think they look menacing and aggressive, but it just looks like they're advertising Senokot.
Greatkudu wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 16:44 Yes an inner outer block,one of my favourite films. Daniel San.
:roll:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:06
markorbit wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 13:33 There's shedloads on backing track on this one. Most of what you say Toby does is also on there. Deffo that distorted bass - which starts with a solo'd filtered version that is on backing - and I'd say the opera as well plus all the sound effects and risers in the right places.

We can see what JJ, Baz and Jim are doing but the rest... I'm not so sure but I would lean towards backing track.
Based off what I saw when the first videos of them performing it were doing the rounds, I'd say that pretty much the majority of "Stallion" was on backing.
droopsnoot wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 13:53 Look at the recent footage from France - the Arte Concert gig - and that's much better.
I had a quick look at this recently out of curiosity and couldn't get past the lacklustre rendition of "Heroes" ... so much fucking gurning too, not only Baz but Jim is getting in on the act as well. It's almost like they're doing it because that's how they believe a "Strangler" is supposed to act onstage, and I'm sure they think they look menacing and aggressive, but it just looks like they're advertising Senokot.
Greatkudu wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 16:44 Yes an inner outer block,one of my favourite films. Daniel San.
:roll:
I haven't a clue to what your going on about with this band and what they are trying to ...but all i can clearly see is them just being good at what they are doing as musicians who are really enjoying their crowd interaction who are bloody good at what they do and one polished act in just my opinion...but each to their own on how they hear and see this band.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 10 Mar 2022, 22:24, edited 1 time in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 18:55 They consistently only ever play 7, maybe 8 post hugh tracks at a gig, out of 24 or so. It must be written into their contact. Or they aren't confident that they'd sell tickets with baz era material.
I reckon if PR hadn't left the band and Suite XVI had been released with him on vocals, that would probably have been a good time for them to at least try and get away from the back catalogue and form a whole new live set of mostly MKIII material. It's not gonna happen now though, not only with Jet retiring and Dave sadly no longer being with us, but MKIV+ have proven - over time - that they just can't cut it as a creative force. If they were, it wouldn't have taken them so long to make the lacklustre Giants and even longer to make Dark Matters. Instead, we're down to one original member and his hired hands/mates paying tribute to the old catalogue.
toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:20 I haven't a clue to what your going on about
Fucking hell, my ironyometer just broke!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:23
I reckon if PR hadn't left the band and Suite XVI had been released with him on vocals, that would probably have been a good time for them to at least try and get away from the back catalogue and form a whole new live set of mostly MKIII material. It's not gonna happen now though, not only with Jet retiring and Dave sadly no longer being with us, but MKIV+ have proven - over time - that they just can't cut it as a creative force. If they were, it wouldn't have taken them so long to make the lacklustre Giants and even longer to make Dark Matters. Instead, we're down to one original member and his hired hands/mates paying tribute to the old catalogue.
Well it didn't happen with Paul with NC and all its publicity it certainly was never gonna happen with him at any point i think,which to a certain extent is sad because i think Paul really found his feet and showed his class with NC i love his vocals on it and i loved Paul's acoustic vocals especially to on screen acoustic set was it 2005 time i think well anyway he was really good for them then i agree,but the current line up if that's what you like the more roots of mk1 than Baz has returned that back to more like how they once were i feel in just my opinion for sure with his vocals and guitar playing back to the good old four piece band which is how it should have always had stayed like to me post Hugh,the two member change and they way they were singing and the improvised guitaring straight after such a distinctive four piece style for 16 years with Hugh that worked so well for them was to much of a drastic change i feel for me anyway from the band i loved,i just think it was a big mistake but many will disagree with that and that's fine and i even think Paul did suite them in the end and found the style of song with NC that really worked for his vocal style and a new stranglers sounding range that worked very well and then he went which was a shame at that point in time i agree that only he could of done as good as he did for sure.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 10 Mar 2022, 22:40, edited 2 times in total.