Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 21:18
StanInBlack wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 20:22 Well, there's a re-writing of the truth if I ever saw one. The dissent of PR and JE's treatment of various MKI songs was so consistent it may as well have been a meme. As this current line-up have proved, a certain subset of hardcore fans would have gone to see a band playing in front of a banner with "The Stranglers" on it regardless of who was in the band, what they were doing and the quality of the end result.
The Jim talk was a noticeable change with patterns and bass drum sound that was never said as a criticism by anybody,i think most like both drummers different patterns that may prefer Jet's old pattern to jim's as a prefer that's not a dislike to this band's distinctive style of music, for me there's a difference to a prefer than to a change like the post '90 than for some just didn't work as a change.
Sir yes and Mr Ellis ruined all Hughs solos as I remember, a great player but Baz plays them how they should be played. Lt Kudu.
So does the chap out of Straighten Out. It's a great tribute to Hugh

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 20:22
jetblacksdad wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 10:25 I disagree Stan. For a long time PR and JE did their own things to Stranglers songs and it was acceptable.
Well, there's a re-writing of the truth if I ever saw one. The dissent of PR and JE's treatment of various MKI songs was so consistent it may as well have been a meme. As this current line-up have proved, a certain subset of hardcore fans would have gone to see a band playing in front of a banner with "The Stranglers" on it regardless of who was in the band, what they were doing and the quality of the end result.
It's all or nothing for you isn't it?
From seeing the first gigs with Paul and right through In the Night and About Time era - even up to WIR, there was a lot of positivity and talk about how the band was reinvigorated. As I said, for a long time, there was a buzz and acceptance from a huge majority. I think hindsight has re-written the perception of those early post Hugh years. You talk as if JE and PR were written off from day one and they simply were not.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 09:07
Greatkudu wrote:
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 21:18

The Jim talk was a noticeable change with patterns and bass drum sound that was never said as a criticism by anybody,i think most like both drummers different patterns that may prefer Jet's old pattern to jim's as a prefer that's not a dislike to this band's distinctive style of music, for me there's a difference to a prefer than to a change like the post '90 than for some just didn't work as a change.
Sir yes and Mr Ellis ruined all Hughs solos as I remember, a great player but Baz plays them how they should be played. Lt Kudu.
So does the chap out of Straighten Out. It's a great tribute to Hugh

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Correct Phil from straighten Out does plays Hugh's solos very well in their tribute band where as Baz and Jim both play for the real Stranglers band which can never be a tribute band being the difference there,but agreed yes Phil plays Hugh's parts well and sings his parts better by the year,i'v noticed he's singing more with hugh's aggression and growl like Hugh does in his vocals than he used to,he sang a great Sewer back in December 2021 it's worth checking it out on Youtube if anyone hasen't seen it before, i've always thought that Straighten Out have been a class tribute act to the real one.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 10:41 You talk as if JE and PR were written off from day one and they simply were not.
I'm not saying that people didn't give JE and PR a chance. Personally, I rate John Ellis highly as a guitarist (and I still don't think he's found the best context for his playing) and I rate PR as a songwriter and vocalist EVEN in the context of MKII/MKIII. To say that people didn't have a problem for a long time over JE's & PR's treatment of the MKI songs isn't just disingenuous, it's an outright fib.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 17:00 Correct Phil from straighten Out does plays Hugh's solos very well in their tribute band where as Baz and Jim both play for the real Stranglers band which can never be a tribute band
You couldn't be more wrong. Baz and JIm play for a band calling itself "The Stranglers" which is very much a tribute to the actual Stranglers.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 17:52
toilerinblack wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 17:00 Correct Phil from straighten Out does plays Hugh's solos very well in their tribute band where as Baz and Jim both play for the real Stranglers band which can never be a tribute band
You couldn't be more wrong. Baz and JIm play for a band calling itself "The Stranglers" which is very much a tribute to the actual Stranglers.
No.. how can the real band which is an ongoing entity that has never stopped ever be called a tribute band it's the same unit but a changing band that simply cannot be the case that still has JJ an original in it too, it simply cannot ever be called a tribute band what ever way someone looks at it ,yes Straighten Out is a tribute band because no one member has ever played for the real band that is a tribute band ..fact the current band that still has Jj in it cannot be a tribute band.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 04 Mar 2022, 20:06, edited 2 times in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

The Cambridge dictionary defines the word tribute band as the following....A tribute band does not include members of the original band whose music is being honoured.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

So where does that leave “From the Jam”? Genuine question, not being facetious/smart.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Boody wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 19:41 So where does that leave “From the Jam”? Genuine question, not being facetious/smart.
It's the same for them too,Paul left but Bruce Foxton on Bass is still there and their drummer Rick Buckler is too i believe so because there are originals left they cannot officially too be called a tribute band,it's the same for them as it is for the Stranglers or whatever band is in the same position of members having left it has to be a band that has members that have never played for the real band to then be called a tribute band like it has been said a million times before,i understand how people feel that it simply doesn't sound the same or they feel it's not as good as how it used to be with different members coming and going i get that and i have my favourite time with this band decades ago too but it still doesn't what change the fact makes them officially a tribute band .
Last edited by toilerinblack on 05 Mar 2022, 03:29, edited 2 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 19:27 No.. how can the real band which is an ongoing entity that has never stopped ever be called a tribute band it's the same unit
1. If you REALLY have to ask at this point, then I suppose you'll never grasp it

and

2. It's NOT the same unit. This whole spiel about it being an "ever-changing evolving entity" (or some such bollocks) is just deflecting from the obvious reality that it isn't The Stranglers anymore. It's the sort of nonsense that politicians spout. If you want to remind yourself what The Stranglers are, then take a good look at the back cover of The Raven and ask yourself if you can really reconcile the band in that picture with the band currently calling itself "The Stranglers" at the moment, because the two things are worlds apart.
Boody wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 19:41 So where does that leave “From the Jam”? Genuine question, not being facetious/smart.
I would also consider them to be a tribute band.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 20:48
toilerinblack wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 19:27 No.. how can the real band which is an ongoing entity that has never stopped ever be called a tribute band it's the same unit
1. If you REALLY have to ask at this point, then I suppose you'll never grasp it

and

2. It's NOT the same unit. This whole spiel about it being an "ever-changing evolving entity" (or some such bollocks) is just deflecting from the obvious reality that it isn't The Stranglers anymore. It's the sort of nonsense that politicians spout. If you want to remind yourself what The Stranglers are, then take a good look at the back cover of The Raven and ask yourself if you can really reconcile the band in that picture with the band currently calling itself "The Stranglers" at the moment, because the two things are worlds apart.
Yes fans will preter times from a changing bands past i have said that and for me it will always be MK1 no question and for others it may well be different we all think different,but the fact is like it or not as stated in the dictionary what a tribute band is and this current band like the Jam has original members in it so it cannot be a tribute band it might sound like one agreed or not be as good as an original one but...they and the jam are offically not tribute band's if nothing else that's all i can say it's up to each individual what they think is a tribute band,but for me this band can never be what they were but they are still the stranglers and have my support not because i feel i have to but because i still like their music and what they are still doing...but that's just me as one fan each but each to their own and your entitled as usual to your opinion.
One thing is for sure after watching Manchester's Tank i haven't heard it being played with the pace and energy of this version like this since way back in the day of MK1 it blew me away at the ending that was so powerful .
Last edited by toilerinblack on 05 Mar 2022, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 21:12
StanInBlack wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 20:48

and

Yes fans will preter times from a changing bands past i have said that and for me it will always be MK1 no question and for others it may well be different we all think different,but the fact is like it or not as stated in the dictionary what a tribute band is and this current band like the Jam has original members in it so it cannot be a tribute band it might sound like one agreed or not be as good as an original one but...they and the jam are offically not tribute band's if nothing else that's all i can say it's up to each individual what they think is a tribute band,but for me this band can never be what they were but they are still the stranglers and have my support not because i feel i have to but because i still like their music and what they are still doing...but that's just me as one fan each to their own and your entitled as usual to your opinion.
One thing is for sure after watching Manchester's Tank i haven't heard it being played with the pace and energy of this version like this since way back in the day of MK1 it blew me away at the ending so powerful .
Sir From the Jam are a tribute band as they were formed years after the Jam split up, The Stranglers never split totally, members left etc, retired and of course the most tragic being the loss of Dave, the Fact they brought out a new album shows they are not a tribute act, still the Stranglers but with different lineup obviously Baz is a Strangler, Jim is and Toby keeping Dave's fantastic music alive and as for JJ, I won't insult him by having to justify his role, they were fucking amazing on the tour recently, not a bad date, when I saw them at Reading, any doubts evaporated after about 10 seconds, JJs booming bass intro to Toiler, followed by Jims tight playing and Mr Warnes guitar, then Toby dealing with the fast keyboard runs like he had been in the band years, just fantastic and a joy to behold. Lt Kudu.
Last edited by Greatkudu on 04 Mar 2022, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.