Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 21:38 Y'see, it's acceptable to JJ Burnel & Friends fans when Jim makes embellishments but it was never acceptable when PR or JE did it. I'll let you all chew on that thought for a while.
I disagree Stan. For a long time PR and JE did their own things to Stranglers songs and it was acceptable. Look at how well attended the gigs were for a long long time. It is only in hindsight did negative comments come from JJ. At the time he was very loyal but the band politics got in the way.

For some fans, yes, PR and JE were never acceptable and for some Baz and Jim are unacceptable.But there is not a difference in reception for the changes from where I'm sitting.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 10:25
StanInBlack wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 21:38 Y'see, it's acceptable to JJ Burnel & Friends fans when Jim makes embellishments but it was never acceptable when PR or JE did it. I'll let you all chew on that thought for a while.
I disagree Stan. For a long time PR and JE did their own things to Stranglers songs and it was acceptable. Look at how well attended the gigs were for a long long time. It is only in hindsight did negative comments come from JJ. At the time he was very loyal but the band politics got in the way.

For some fans, yes, PR and JE were never acceptable and for some Baz and Jim are unacceptable.But there is not a difference in reception for the changes from where I'm sitting.
Sir as I have said many times, if people don't like the lineup don't bother, but it seems 60,000 fans had a great evening of live music from two class acts, of course the Stranglers being the headline band, I didn't see anyone who was disappointed or comments that it wasn't the Stranglers etc. But other people disagree, thank Fuck we have a choice as the world has gone back in time and I think you know what I'm talking About, Free Ukraine 🇺🇦. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 10:25 I disagree Stan. For a long time PR and JE did their own things to Stranglers songs and it was acceptable.
Well, there's a re-writing of the truth if I ever saw one. The dissent of PR and JE's treatment of various MKI songs was so consistent it may as well have been a meme. As this current line-up have proved, a certain subset of hardcore fans would have gone to see a band playing in front of a banner with "The Stranglers" on it regardless of who was in the band, what they were doing and the quality of the end result.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 20:22
jetblacksdad wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 10:25 I disagree Stan. For a long time PR and JE did their own things to Stranglers songs and it was acceptable.
Well, there's a re-writing of the truth if I ever saw one. The dissent of PR and JE's treatment of various MKI songs was so consistent it may as well have been a meme. As this current line-up have proved, a certain subset of hardcore fans would have gone to see a band playing in front of a banner with "The Stranglers" on it regardless of who was in the band, what they were doing and the quality of the end result.
Stan I totally disagree, the majority of fans would not go if JJ was not still in the band, well personally I wouldn't.Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:
Stan I totally disagree, the majority of fans would not go if JJ was not still in the band, well personally I wouldn't.Lt Kudu.
You'd have probably said that when there was just JJ and Dave in the band. People will go if it's no original members but the words "the stranglers" are on the poster especially if the people in the band have had "the band's blessing" (whatever that means)

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

The Jim talk was a noticeable change with patterns and bass drum sound that was never said as a criticism by anybody,i think most like both drummers different patterns that may prefer Jet's old pattern to jim's as a prefer that's not a dislike to this band's distinctive style of music, for me there's a difference to a prefer than to a change like the post '90 than for some just didn't work as a change.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 03 Mar 2022, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Skindeep81
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Skindeep81 »

It wouldn't carry on without JJ..
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Skindeep81 wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 22:32 It wouldn't carry on without JJ..
Agreed, i believe that's the bottom line too.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 23:05
Sir yes I deff wouldn't go if JJ wasn't in the band. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:
In game betting now!. When the fun stops, stop

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 23:58
Greatkudu wrote:
In game betting now!. When the fun stops, stop

Jim

Jim as I said if JJ wasn't in the band I wouldn't go and very few would, I think they will go on for about another two years? I see no more albums, but they love playing live and have gigs planned for 2023,but no one wants them to become Dr Feelgood without any original members. Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Mar 2022, 21:18
The Jim talk was a noticeable change with patterns and bass drum sound that was never said as a criticism by anybody,i think most like both drummers different patterns that may prefer Jet's old pattern to jim's as a prefer that's not a dislike to this band's distinctive style of music, for me there's a difference to a prefer than to a change like the post '90 than for some just didn't work as a change.
Sir yes and Mr Ellis ruined all Hughs solos as I remember, a great player but Baz plays them how they should be played. Lt Kudu.