Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Jim Mac changing the bass drum parts on old songs

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:28
StanInBlack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:23
Yanders wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 18:55 They consistently only ever play 7, maybe 8 post hugh tracks at a gig, out of 24 or so. It must be written into their contact. Or they aren't confident that they'd sell tickets with baz era material.
I reckon if PR hadn't left the band and Suite XVI had been released with him on vocals, that would probably have been a good time for them to at least try and get away from the back catalogue and form a whole new live set of mostly MKIII material. It's not gonna happen now though, not only with Jet retiring and Dave sadly no longer being with us, but MKIV+ have proven - over time - that they just can't cut it as a creative force. If they were, it wouldn't have taken them so long to make the lacklustre Giants and even longer to make Dark Matters. Instead, we're down to one original member and his hired hands/mates paying tribute to the old catalogue.
Well it didn't happen with Paul with NC and all its publicity it certainly was never gonna happen with him at any point i think,which to a certain extent is sad because i think Paul really found his feet and showed his class with NC i love his vocals on it and i loved Paul's acoustic vocals especially to on screen acoustic set was it 2005 time i think well anyway he was really good for them then i agree,but the current line up if that's what you like the more roots of mk1 than Baz has returned that back to more like how they once were i feel in just my opinion for sure with his vocals and guitar playing back to the good old four piece band which is how it should always have stayed like to me post Hugh,the two member change and they way they were singing and the improvised guitaring straight after such a distinctive four piece style with Hugh was to much of a drastic change for me anyway form the band i loved.
Totally agree Sir with all you say, I will say one thing, Jim is well and truly been Stranglerfied, he looked so fresh faced when he started with band but now looks like a younger Jet looking mean and moody while playing. Lt Kudu. :smt005
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:28 Well it didn't happen with Paul with NC and all its publicity it certainly was never gonna happen with him at any point i think
With respect, what planet are you on?

Norfolk Coast (the debut album by MKIII) was the most well received album released under the Stranglers' name since Hugh left the band, not to mention that it was their first album on a major label since CBS shitcanned them. If you were around during the latter stages of MKII (which you clearly weren't) then you'd have noticed that the general vibe/reception of the Norfolk Coast album and tour in comparison to that of Written in Red and ESPECIALLY Coup de Grace was like day and night. For the first time since probably Stranglers in the Night, the fanbase were actually LOOKING FORWARD to hearing another album with Paul Roberts on vocals, or at least looking forward to another MKIII record and the general feeling was that the band were starting to develop some sort of creative momentum, which Suite XVI (as an "ersatz" MKIII record) would no doubt have confirmed if PR had remained with the band. As well all know, he DIDN'T remain with the band and MKIV spunked all that momentum and goodwill up the wall, leading to a path of endless touring old material culminating whatever nonsense is currently happening.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:36 I will say one thing, Jim is well and truly been Stranglerfied, he looked so fresh faced when he started with band but now looks like a younger Jet looking mean and moody while playing. Lt Kudu. :smt005
He looks the same as he's ever done and nothing at all like Jet. I've noticed Toby has lost the hat and started wearing a leather jacket now, which I suppose is grounds for some to call him a "proper Strangler", whatever that means :roll:
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:42
Greatkudu wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:36 I will say one thing, Jim is well and truly been Stranglerfied, he looked so fresh faced when he started with band but now looks like a younger Jet looking mean and moody while playing. Lt Kudu. :smt005
He looks the same as he's ever done and nothing at all like Jet. I've noticed Toby has lost the hat and started wearing a leather jacket now, which I suppose is grounds for some to call him a "proper Strangler", whatever that means :roll:
What i'm saying is in response to you saying that if PR had stayed for suite it would of done better and all i was saying is i don't think so commercially i mean if it hadn't happened all ready after all those years post Hugh it was likely never to have is all i'm saying and if you think that today's line up is a tribute one did you not think that they were one even more back then with a two member change that was even further away from what the MK1 band stood for than compared to the one now or at any point since Hugh,Yes i know how well NC had done and how well it was received at the time i still watched them live at the time with BTC on lorraine kelly lol i knew what was going on i might not of been big into them much since Hugh but still followed them then there was Baz for me that changed it back to more what i wanted this band to be like ,but again only my view.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 10 Mar 2022, 23:09, edited 2 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:57 What i'm saying is in response to you saying that if PR had stayed for suite it would of done better
Except that I didn't say this AT ALL.
toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:57 and all i was saying is i don't think so commercially
and this isn't what I'm talking about.

(I'm not even going to bother with the rest of it.)
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 23:02
toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:57 What i'm saying is in response to you saying that if PR had stayed for suite it would of done better
Except that I didn't say this AT ALL.
toilerinblack wrote: 10 Mar 2022, 22:57 and all i was saying is i don't think so commercially
and this isn't what I'm talking about.

(I'm not even going to bother with the rest of it.)
Yep soz you said to get away from the back catalogue and not commercially my mistake.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Well Jim does look different, he's totally confident in the roll and is accepted by the fans who still enjoy seeing the Stranglers yes the Stranglers not JJ and friends. Maybe you should go and see the Stranglers, you may enjoy it, but I think you were at Reading telling Baz to get on with it before Walk On Bye. Lt Kudu. :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

haha they should sell "Proper Stranglers" outifts as tour merchandise. Dark shades, leather jacket, black jeans (turn ups of course!). "Do you wanna be in the Stranglers? Yeah? Well now you can buy the 'proper stranglers' outfit" :lol:

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

They could where shades, baggy shorts,a short sleeved palm tree shirt and flip flops oh yeah and not forgetting that suntan bottle of lotion for that peeling skin and can still call themselves a strangler by name in my book if they can keep playing the way this current unit is for sure in my view ..All top musician's all playing their instruments so well but more importantly to me is they gel so well together as a unit and have done so quickly too as the gigs are clearly proving that to be just the case i think from what iv'e only seen from the outside looking in.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 11 Mar 2022, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

toilerinblack wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 14:11 They could where shades, baggy shorts,a short sleeved palm tree shirt and flip flops oh yeah and not forgetting that suntan bottle of lotion for that peeling skin and can still call himself a strangler member by name in my book if he can still keep playing the way this current unit is for sure in my view ..All top musician's all playing their instruments so well but all importantly they gel so well off each other as a unit.
Sounds like you are describing Youth's attire when he plays live - kind of jars with Jaz's necromancer look!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais81 wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 14:18
toilerinblack wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 14:11 They could where shades, baggy shorts,a short sleeved palm tree shirt and flip flops oh yeah and not forgetting that suntan bottle of lotion for that peeling skin and can still call himself a strangler member by name in my book if he can still keep playing the way this current unit is for sure in my view ..All top musician's all playing their instruments so well but all importantly they gel so well off each other as a unit.
Sounds like you are describing Youth's attire when he plays live - kind of jars with Jaz's necromancer look!
lol
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 12:06 haha they should sell "Proper Stranglers" outifts as tour merchandise. Dark shades, leather jacket, black jeans (turn ups of course!). "Do you wanna be in the Stranglers? Yeah? Well now you can buy the 'proper stranglers' outfit" :lol:

Jim

Well whether anyone is a Stranglers fan or not, everyman should have a black leather jacket in their wardrobe IMHO, I have 6 black ones and a brown one just to even things up, it becomes part of your body with age, the more you wear it the better it looks, especially if you have an American Schott Perfecto which was the first proper Motorcycle Jacket, Marlon Brando wore a Schott in the iconic film the Wild One, I wonder why JJ has stopped wearing one, and also why Hugh doesn't wear a Leather Jacket anymore? You are never to old and I'm 84 :smt005 Lt Leather Boy Kudu.