Ground control Paris

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Ground control Paris

Post by Greatkudu »

I've already said I thought the gig was very good. Lt Kudu.
the taxman
Rats Rally

Post by the taxman »

i'd like them to do a gig of just post-Hugh stuff,think would be interesting change
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

the taxman wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 12:58 i'd like them to do a gig of just post-Hugh stuff,think would be interesting change
It would be. Or rather it would have been, if PR hadn't left the band and MKIII had continued to establish itself with Suite XVI. I think they then could have got away with a setlist mostly made of tracks from Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI, which could have set them up nicely for the next album. With PR's involvement it may have been superior to what eventually became Giants. I think that ship has sailed though.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

the taxman wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 12:58 i'd like them to do a gig of just post-Hugh stuff,think would be interesting change
This is why I'm always hmmm about baz being just as much a strangler as any of mk1. Wouldn't baz want that too? Why when deciding on a setlist is he choosing to play so many songs he's had nothing to do with?
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

of course you are right there, we are OT but I dare say thou art as responsible most of the time.
The fluidity of your criteria is amusing, there is a sense of credibility to it, I'm not that harsh, but if you are talking about time, Baz has been a Strangler longer that Hugh so.........

Anyway. The gig. As I said before, a band really on form.I've captured the audio and once I have separated the tracks will make it available IF the mods agree on the STRICT proviso that folks don't take the piss!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 14:50 Baz has been a Strangler longer that Hugh so.........
I mean, if only it worked like that!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Oh Lord. :smt013
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Yanders wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 13:25 This is why I'm always hmmm about baz being just as much a strangler as any of mk1. Wouldn't baz want that too? Why when deciding on a setlist is he choosing to play so many songs he's had nothing to do with?
I would say it's because you can't just jettison the past which includes all the well-known tracks that are part of history. If the post-1988 tracks (broadly speaking) were of the same quality then you could try but I don't think anyone is under any illusions about that. A lot of them don't even have the classic sound within the bass, drums and keys.
Let's Boogie
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

The frightening thing is imagining a still continuing Mk 1 Stranglers, Hugh and JJ in separate transport, not a glance at each other on stage, topping up their pensions, while grinding out School Mam (I was at Ally Pally!) or some other cr**.

While a very different beast to the glory days I witnessed at the Glasgow Apollo, the current line up and show is something I can live with for a few more years, if they so choose.

Not so keen on a some stripped down version of 5 Mins or Skin Deep in a half filled club, as a support act. I honestly cannot remember the last new Hugh song that I liked.

“Beyond Elysian Fields” almost seems like it’s named as an unassailable boundary to my patience with Hugh’s material, although I would accept that Monster, while lacking any conjones on record, was brilliant to hear live.

All in my humble opinion of course!
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jonimac wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 20:48 The frightening thing is imagining a still continuing Mk 1 Stranglers, Hugh and JJ in separate transport, not a glance at each other on stage, topping up their pensions, while grinding out School Mam (I was at Ally Pally!) or some other cr**.

While a very different beast to the glory days I witnessed at the Glasgow Apollo, the current line up and show is something I can live with for a few more years, if they so choose.

Not so keen on a some stripped down version of 5 Mins or Skin Deep in a half filled club, as a support act. I honestly cannot remember the last new Hugh song that I liked.

“Beyond Elysian Fields” almost seems like it’s named as an unassailable boundary to my patience with Hugh’s material, although I would accept that Monster, while lacking any conjones on record, was brilliant to hear live.

Oh my god I'm going to sound like Stan but i think all Hughs solo albums are higher quality than any Stranglers albums until they woke up with NC, I saw Hugh last night as support to the Undertones with crowd of 850 and he went down a storm and was in really fine fettle with his humour and he has a stonking backing group, I enjoyed it just as much as the Stranglers a few weeks ago, he finished with a lively London Lady. Lt Kudu. :smt006
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 21:40 Oh my god I'm going to sound like Stan but i think all Hughs solo albums are higher quality than any Stranglers albums until they woke up with NC
I mean, you're not wrong at all but I'd probably go further. If Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI are the best offerings to be released under the Stranglers name after Hugh went solo full time (well, I think they are at least) then I'd say there are several Hugh solo albums (or all of them apart from things like Footprints in the Desert and CCW etc.) that outdo even those.

If I'm going to listen to anything Stranglers or Stranglers-related these days, I'm more likely to reach for a Hugh Cornwell solo album first, a Stranglers MKI record (that isn't 10) second, and in a distant third something by either MKII/MKIII (I count Suite XVI as a MKIII album) and absolutely nothing by MKIV+ ... and even then I'm more inclined to weigh up my options as to what other music I could possibly listen to before I get to the stage of putting a MKII/MKIII album on. I could easily live without hearing a note of Giants or Dark Matters ever again.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

jonimac wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 20:48 The frightening thing is imagining a still continuing Mk 1 Stranglers, Hugh and JJ in separate transport, not a glance at each other on stage, topping up their pensions, while grinding out School Mam (I was at Ally Pally!) or some other cr**.

I don't think mk1 could exist if jj and hugh continued not to speak to each other. But if, in an alternate universe, they made up and started to write together again, why would would you assume that their output would be rubbish?

Maybe we wouldn't have had so many greatest hits tours, but it (just might) have been a little more experimental and a little less safe.