Ground control Paris

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Ground control Paris

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 19:25
Yanders wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 13:17 People hate that hugh left the band in the lurch. There's talk about how some can't get over the idea of a stranglers without hugh, but probably more can't forgive him for giving up and the stranglers being a shadow of their former selves without him.
Yup. Nothing but the plain and simple truth, that. JJ himself is among the people that haven't forgiven Hugh for going for a full-time solo career. It's clear it still rankles him even now. I completely understand Hugh's perspective: there's not a lot of bands that last as long as MKI did, and after all that time he could be forgiven for wanting to do something different and work with different people.
Yep i agree Stan with all you have said here,nobody well me and god knows how many more have got over Hugh leaving but have excepted it and understood why like Hugh has said himself god knows how many times since that..... after all that time and literally living in each others pockets for 16 years i'd like to play with some others thank you very much and i get that and understand that as a musician but it wasn't easy for me for a long time after he did leave, but saying that nowday's i am happy with what both camps are doing ..... eventually lol
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Yanders wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 12:57 I wonder if there's human league fans who hate that they've become a cabaret act? Are fans general happy or not that they're singing being boiled in the style of nightclub singers.
It was actually quite interesting to see H17 play Reproduction and Travelogue live back to back recently considering that Glenn Gregory was the original preferred singer over Phil. I know they have done the odd track over the years, but I would have liked the opportunity to see that gig.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 21:35
Yanders wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 12:57 I wonder if there's human league fans who hate that they've become a cabaret act? Are fans general happy or not that they're singing being boiled in the style of nightclub singers.
It was actually quite interesting to see H17 play Reproduction and Travelogue live back to back recently considering that Glenn Gregory was the original preferred singer over Phil. I know they have done the odd track over the years, but I would have liked the opportunity to see that gig.
I like Gregory as a vocalist (and he seems to be very down to earth personality-wise, too) but I think Oakey's voice suited those albums more. The closest Heaven 17 got to early Human League was the second side of Penthouse and Pavement (which is my favourite side of vinyl Heaven 17 ever did), other than that Ware/Marsh seemed to move away from the sound of the early Human League fairly quickly.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Gregory has a great podcast at the moment.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Penthouse and pavement is great. Spice girls ripped it off

Jim

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Personally I prefer the Human league before the ladies, but of course they were cult then, I have the Empire State Human single and first album class. LT General Custer.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 22:12 I like Gregory as a vocalist (and he seems to be very down to earth personality-wise, too) but I think Oakey's voice suited those albums more. The closest Heaven 17 got to early Human League was the second side of Penthouse and Pavement (which is my favourite side of vinyl Heaven 17 ever did), other than that Ware/Marsh seemed to move away from the sound of the early Human League fairly quickly.
Also, from my understanding, Phil made up many of the lyrics on the spot, so the songs, or at least the lyrics would have been completely different with Glenn, but yes, the second side of Penthouse and Pavement is superb, and there was a few BEF releases just prior to H17 ? which sounded more like "The Future"

Came across a live recording a few weeks back of the League just after the split, when Phil and the girls were still singing the the old tracks, which I've heard before, but in this case also a new song that I never had heard "Take On The World" and also "I am the Law", but no other Dare material. Does include Boys and Girls though.

http://www.liveandloudshows.com/2014/09 ... mment-form
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

theraven1979 wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 22:26 Gregory has a great podcast at the moment.

Jim

Same with Ware. Great series of interviews. I’m just listening to part 2 of his Mark White chat.
ABC - Now there was a great 80s band of diminishing returns.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Apologies it was Ware that I meant. There's some interesting people interviewed.

Jim
jonimac wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 08:21
theraven1979 wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 22:26 Gregory has a great podcast at the moment.

Jim

Same with Ware. Great series of interviews. I’m just listening to part 2 of his Mark White chat.
ABC - Now there was a great 80s band of diminishing returns.
ozymandias
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ozymandias »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 23:44
alaninblack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 23:08
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:52 and Dare respectively, both acts were - very quickly and early in their career - make a break from their past and were able to re-establish themselves to a degree where not only were they very successful, but the majority of people consider those line-ups to be the "classic" line-ups.
Disagree on that one, Human League MKI are definitely the classic line up.
The early Human League were more of a cult concern. While they did indeed make two very good records, both of which I love (Reproduction and Travelogue, obviously), the Oakey/Sulley/Catherall/Wright/Burden/Callis line-up that made Dare and Hysteria were more visible and more of a success, and the big hits that they made their name with come from that period. It's the period of the Human League that most people know. Regardless of your preference for the early Human League (and there are many people out there that DO prefer the early Human League) it's definitely more of a cultish thing in comparison. Even Heaven 17 were more successful than the early Human League, and the Dare/Hysteria line-up were far, far, far more successful than Heaven 17.
Totally read that in a Patrick Bateman accent.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

haha "Whitney's first album, simply entitled 'Whitney'...."

Jim
ozymandias wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 13:04
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 23:44
alaninblack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 23:08

Disagree on that one, Human League MKI are definitely the classic line up.
The early Human League were more of a cult concern. While they did indeed make two very good records, both of which I love (Reproduction and Travelogue, obviously), the Oakey/Sulley/Catherall/Wright/Burden/Callis line-up that made Dare and Hysteria were more visible and more of a success, and the big hits that they made their name with come from that period. It's the period of the Human League that most people know. Regardless of your preference for the early Human League (and there are many people out there that DO prefer the early Human League) it's definitely more of a cultish thing in comparison. Even Heaven 17 were more successful than the early Human League, and the Dare/Hysteria line-up were far, far, far more successful than Heaven 17.
Totally read that in a Patrick Bateman accent.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

ozymandias wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 13:04 Totally read that in a Patrick Bateman accent.
Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?