Ground control Paris

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Ground control Paris

Post by jonimac »

I said still continuing, not making up.

In some fictional universe.where Hot Cat On A Tin Roof, Harry Power, Known Unto God and Miss You (both versions :lol: ) don’t exists.

Actually, sounds quite a happy place!
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:52 and Dare respectively, both acts were - very quickly and early in their career - make a break from their past and were able to re-establish themselves to a degree where not only were they very successful, but the majority of people consider those line-ups to be the "classic" line-ups.
Disagree on that one, Human League MKI are definitely the classic line up.
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

jonimac wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 22:58 Harry Power, Known Unto God and Miss You (both versions :lol: ) don’t exists.
Harry Power is not that bad, its sung / produced very much like a Aussie bush ballard, which its subject matter is all about. Not top shelf stuff, but not bad.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 23:08
StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 11:52 and Dare respectively, both acts were - very quickly and early in their career - make a break from their past and were able to re-establish themselves to a degree where not only were they very successful, but the majority of people consider those line-ups to be the "classic" line-ups.
The early Human League were more of a cult concern. While they did indeed make two very good records, both of which I love (Reproduction and Travelogue, obviously), the Oakey/Sulley/Catherall/Wright/Burden/Callis line-up that made Dare and Hysteria were more visible and more of a success, and the big hits that they made their name with come from that period. It's the period of the Human League that most people know. Regardless of your preference for the early Human League (and there are many people out there that DO prefer the early Human League) it's definitely more of a cultish thing in comparison. Even Heaven 17 were more successful than the early Human League, and the Dare/Hysteria line-up were far, far, far more successful than Heaven 17.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 22:58 In some fictional universe.where Hot Cat On A Tin Roof, Harry Power, Known Unto God and Miss You (both versions :lol: ) don’t exists.
Yes, "Known Only Unto God" and both the WIR and CdG versions of "Miss You" are utter garbage. "Hot Cat on a Tin Roof" and "The Story of Harry Power" both not only outclass those MKII songs, but are actually very good songs in the first place. I completely understand what Hugh was attempting with both and he succeeded.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Indeed.
He succeeded in really annoying me, so fair play to him
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

If JJ, Dave and Jet had decided 30 years ago to leave the band or to finish making music and Hugh had made the decision to carry on as The Stranglers with other musicians, would we have the same tribute band discussion?
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 23:44
alaninblack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 23:08
The early Human League were more of a cult concern. While they did indeed make two very good records, both of which I love (Reproduction and Travelogue, obviously), the Oakey/Sulley/Catherall/Wright/Burden/Callis line-up that made Dare and Hysteria were more visible and more of a success, and the big hits that they made their name with come from that period. It's the period of the Human League that most people know. Regardless of your preference for the early Human League (and there are many people out there that DO prefer the early Human League) it's definitely more of a cultish thing in comparison. Even Heaven 17 were more successful than the early Human League, and the Dare/Hysteria line-up were far, far, far more successful than Heaven 17.
I wonder if there's human league fans who hate that they've become a cabaret act? Are fans general happy or not that they're singing being boiled in the style of nightclub singers.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Lafleur wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 12:54 If JJ, Dave and Jet had decided 30 years ago to leave the band or to finish making music and Hugh had made the decision to carry on as The Stranglers with other musicians, would we have the same tribute band discussion?
People hate that hugh left the band in the lurch. There's talk about how some can't get over the idea of a stranglers without hugh, but probably more can't forgive him for giving up and the stranglers being a shadow of their former selves without him. That's why we have the hyperbolic idea that baz saved the band - they are desperate to prove that the band could survive and thrive without him.

I think if jj left the band, instead of Hugh, the same would have happened. Maybe hugh would have had pop hits as the stranglers? But then we'd get those who didn't like the new direction and blame hugh for ruining their legacy and some who would blame jj for leaving.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 00:26 He succeeded in really annoying me, so fair play to him
Indeed. I can only perceive the fact that he annoys a subset of Stranglers die-hards as a good thing.
Yanders wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 12:57 I wonder if there's human league fans who hate that they've become a cabaret act? Are fans general happy or not that they're singing being boiled in the style of nightclub singers.
There'll be some, no doubt. For me, their career after the Hysteria album has been one long stream of irrelevance.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 23:50
jonimac wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 22:58 In some fictional universe.where Hot Cat On A Tin Roof, Harry Power, Known Unto God and Miss You (both versions :lol: ) don’t exists.
Yes, "Known Only Unto God" and both the WIR and CdG versions of "Miss You" are utter garbage. "Hot Cat on a Tin Roof" and "The Story of Harry Power" both not only outclass those MKII songs, but are actually very good songs in the first place. I completely understand what Hugh was attempting with both and he succeeded.
Yes I agree Hot Cat and Harry Power are great songs. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 13:17 People hate that hugh left the band in the lurch. There's talk about how some can't get over the idea of a stranglers without hugh, but probably more can't forgive him for giving up and the stranglers being a shadow of their former selves without him.
Yup. Nothing but the plain and simple truth, that. JJ himself is among the people that haven't forgiven Hugh for going for a full-time solo career. It's clear it still rankles him even now. I completely understand Hugh's perspective: there's not a lot of bands that last as long as MKI did, and after all that time he could be forgiven for wanting to do something different and work with different people.