Reading the review the final full UK Tour?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Reading the review the final full UK Tour?

Post by Greatkudu »

My last Stranglers gig was Portugal 2020,so since then big changes in my life and the Stranglers, so I was just pleased to be at Reading on Tuesday to be honest, first on the mighty Ruts DC pure class from the three piece maestros, a pure joy, classic Ruts songs and some cuts from the last album Music Must Destroy and really good new song from upcoming album, Segs Jennings said enjoy the Stranglers they are on fire? Well I would judge that for myself.

21.00 The Stranglers enter the stage and yes for me it's still the Stranglers end of, first song Toiler and from that moment all doubts about how I would feel being my first gig without Dave went, Toby is a fantastic player and Toiler is one of the most challenging songs on the keyboards according to a keyboard player friend of mine, you could tell the band were up for it, second number an energetic Something Better Change with JJ doing his Shidokan Karate stepping in that song.

Before Water Baz Introduced Toby and mentioned he had Big Balls and big shoes to fill, I can't comment on his balls :smt005 But Toby got a good cheer and applause, now let's just mention Toby a fucking hero for filling huge shoes and doing Dave and band proud, his playing is amazing and he looks and fits like a glove IMHO.

I won't mention all the set as you all know but it was similar but we had Tank and Heroes to finish.The sound mix was very good and I don't know if they have done something with the Keyboards but they seemed to have a fuller sound than last few years with the late great man. The lights were the best I can remember for along time they really added something to the whole production, my Faves of the night were White Stallion, Curfew, all the new songs and a stonking version of Straighten Out, but to be honest I enjoyed the whole set, the band have such a rappport on stage between each other, the shadow of Hugh no longer exists IMHO, Baz owns that frontman role now end of, of course it wouldn't be a Stranglers gig without Baz telling someone to Fuck Off,before Walk on Bye Baz was fine tuning his guitar and someone shouts get on with it, of course Baz said Fuck Off very funny.

JJ was in fine voice and as good as ever, Baz just fantastic and I have already mentioned Toby so the final mention will be for Jim Mac now I had my laser eyes on his drumming and my god that boy can play, he is a tour de Force thumping the shit out of that Black Ludwig kit but also has the soft touch when needed ie on GB and SLG, he is one gifted drummer and does Jet proud on the old songs and has created his own template on the new songs.

I was enjoying it so much I looked at my watch and it was 10.34 the time passed so quickly, the first encore had of course just JJ and Baz on high stools and we had the Lines, it sounded much better than the album version, then we had If you should see Dave, JJ talking about Dave and then some prick shouts out, JJ wasn't impressed, after they played those two songs Baz put his arm round JJ a touching moment and it shows how emotional it is performing that song and talking about Dave.

A few minutes later it's the full band back and a blistering version of Tank before JJ climbed the steps and every step the steps lit up a great touch, Baz started singing, start spreading the news I'm leaving today, and of course to finish the very apt No More Heroes a great way to finish.I have seen the Stranglers since 1981 and for me they are just as good as ever, that's my opinion, the crowd were also a really good one, no fat blokes punching each other, just some annoying chap shouting for Nellie the Elephant, it was funny the first time but after eight times a bit tedious, before I finish, it amuses me that some people seem to look so miserable, there was a middle class looking woman near me who seemed to have a face of thunder on her for the whole gig, arms folded, maybe her husband or boyfriend had dragged her along metaphorically speaking, but on the whole most people loved it, to be honest I was blown away how good they were, if this is my final Stranglers gig, it was going out on a high, is this really the last full tour? When your playing that well and people still want to see you? Let's wait and see? But If it is the final Full tour they have gone out on a high. Thanks for all the years of ENJOYMENT.Maybe Heroes do still exist. Lt Kudu over and out.

Ps I Had a brief chat with Louie and thanked him for his production on the album, he was genuinely chuffed. Lt Kudu. :smt006
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Reading the review the final full UK Tour?

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one Kudu - glad you enjoyed it - I think that Baz "fuck off" routine has been done before - pretty sure I saw it at Leeds once.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 13:51 Nice one Kudu - glad you enjoyed it - I think that Baz "fuck off" routine has been done before - pretty sure I saw it at Leeds once.

Jim
Thanks Jim , I don't think I've ever heard Baz not say Fuck Off to someone, someone shouted slap head but he didnt hear that. Lt Kudu.
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

Fab review Kudu!!
Are you not tempted by R fest Blackpool?
I am plus Numan on as well
Different days so have to stay the weekend!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Halifax Linda wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 21:10 Fab review Kudu!!
Are you not tempted by R fest Blackpool?
I am plus Numan on as well
Different days so have to stay the weekend!
Thanks I would love to but I'm a full time carer to my dad so cant do overnight now, I had a carer in to enable me to attend the Reading gig, I would love to have done more dates but grateful for seeing them at all, the way they played I think they have a few more years left. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Well done a review that was well worth the wait and an honest one from someone who was there on the ground who has confirmed alot of what i was noticing from only youtube vids tbh which can never be the same but i did think the same as what you have confirmed about the great sound quality and especially with Toby's keys i don't know quite what they changed on the sound mix front but to me on vids only it sounds bloody good.
Reading your review was nice to see you praising every new present and old member to this current line up and it was also nice to hear you say that this is still the Stranglers and you confirming studying Jim in person just how dam good he is and that's coming from someone whose seen all MK's over the years and that's good enough for me...again glad you enjoyed it and your review was a great piece of work i thought that was an honest one that i really enjoyed reading .....Thanks.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 25 Feb 2022, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

Have to agree with the review regarding sound etc etc ..... Ive only seen them at Leeds on this tour and felt they were a 'serious' band agin (no dad dancing lol) Was hoping to do Cambridge but can't so Ive booked the weekend at the SVF North festival as they're playing the Saturday (Cornwell on the Friday)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 21:55 Well done a review that was well worth the wait and an honest one from someone who was there on the ground who has confirmed alot of what i was noticing from only youtube vids tbh honest which can never be the same but i did think the same as what you have confirmed about the great sound quality and especially with Toby's keys i don't know quite what they changed on the sound mix front but to me on vids only it sounds bloody good.
Reading your review was nice to see you praising every new present and old member to this current line up and it was also nice to hear you say that this is still the Stranglers and you confirming studying Jim in person just how dam good he is and that's coming from someone whose seen all MK's over the years and that's good enough for me...again glad you enjoyed it and your review was a great piece of work i thought that was an honest one that i really enjoyed reading .....Thanks.
Thanks Sir I really appreciate that, it makes it worth the effort when you get nice comments, others may disagree of course, but it was just my honest thoughts, it really was a blinder of a gig and White Stallion is so much better live, Toby does all the extra bits ie the Opera sample on his keyboards, I paid particular attention when they played that, and Toby plays the keyboard riff that Dave plays on the album, JJ does the bass intro and then plays again when Baz does his verse, so it's mostly live, it was so impressive with the red lighting, if it's my final Stranglers gig I went out on a high and I bought the black signed Remo drum head from the Merchandise stall, as soon as I got in I bought it, it's a great momento to go with my Jet Black signed head. Lt Kudu.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 00:23 White Stallion is so much better live, Toby does all the extra bits ie the Opera sample on his keyboards, I paid particular attention when they played that
To be pedantic he could be miming it though? There are string stabs going on as well in that part. I doubt he's playing both. Dave would do something like that but then he would sound 'live' when doing it. It's all so perfect on every clip I've watched I'm not sure if any of that is being played. I suppose the stabs could remain on backing to keep everything linked together. Was he 'playing' both?

Those stabs in the operatic bit remind me time-wise of what Dave played behind the organ solo in Let Me Down Easy.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

markorbit wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 03:09
Greatkudu wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 00:23 White Stallion is so much better live, Toby does all the extra bits ie the Opera sample on his keyboards, I paid particular attention when they played that
To be pedantic he could be miming it though? There are string stabs going on as well in that part. I doubt he's playing both. Dave would do something like that but then he would sound 'live' when doing it. It's all so perfect on every clip I've watched I'm not sure if any of that is being played. I suppose the stabs could remain on backing to keep everything linked together. Was he 'playing' both?

Those stabs in the operatic bit remind me time-wise of what Dave played behind the organ solo in Let Me Down Easy.
Well Toby was definitely playing all those operatic parts and more, there was backing as well as so much production that Louie added. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 13:19 Baz owns that frontman role now end of
End of what, exactly? The "end of" the shit that comes out the "end of" a bull? Because that's what that statement amounts to :lol:
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 15:22
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 13:19 Baz owns that frontman role now end of
End of what, exactly? The "end of" the shit that comes out the "end of" a bull? Because that's what that statement amounts to :lol:
Sometimes it's better to not respond to such a comment. But all I will say is 1,200 people having a cracking evening of live music. Lt Kudu. :smt013