Reading the review the final full UK Tour?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Reading the review the final full UK Tour?

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 18:15 Sir thanks you know more than me, but wasn't Feline acoustic bass? On the Feline tour his bass was still loud but next Tour Aural the bass was really muted. Lt Kudu.
Actually Kudo you may be right. I forgot about the Kinkade acoustics which might have been the choice for recording the Feline album. I believe it was for Hugh. The live dates were electric bass as I recall. I think I might have to look up my old Strangled magazines and see when the flats came in.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 13:19 My last Stranglers gig was Portugal 2020,so since then big changes in my life and the Stranglers, so I was just pleased to be at Reading on Tuesday to be honest, first on the mighty Ruts DC pure class from the three piece maestros, a pure joy, classic Ruts songs and some cuts from the last album Music Must Destroy and really good new song from upcoming album, Segs Jennings said enjoy the Stranglers they are on fire? Well I would judge that for myself.

21.00 The Stranglers enter the stage and yes for me it's still the Stranglers end of, first song Toiler and from that moment all doubts about how I would feel being my first gig without Dave went, Toby is a fantastic player and Toiler is one of the most challenging songs on the keyboards according to a keyboard player friend of mine, you could tell the band were up for it, second number an energetic Something Better Change with JJ doing his Shidokan Karate stepping in that song.

Before Water Baz Introduced Toby and mentioned he had Big Balls and big shoes to fill, I can't comment on his balls :smt005 But Toby got a good cheer and applause, now let's just mention Toby a fucking hero for filling huge shoes and doing Dave and band proud, his playing is amazing and he looks and fits like a glove IMHO.

I won't mention all the set as you all know but it was similar but we had Tank and Heroes to finish.The sound mix was very good and I don't know if they have done something with the Keyboards but they seemed to have a fuller sound than last few years with the late great man. The lights were the best I can remember for along time they really added something to the whole production, my Faves of the night were White Stallion, Curfew, all the new songs and a stonking version of Straighten Out, but to be honest I enjoyed the whole set, the band have such a rappport on stage between each other, the shadow of Hugh no longer exists IMHO, Baz owns that frontman role now end of, of course it wouldn't be a Stranglers gig without Baz telling someone to Fuck Off,before Walk on Bye Baz was fine tuning his guitar and someone shouts get on with it, of course Baz said Fuck Off very funny.

JJ was in fine voice and as good as ever, Baz just fantastic and I have already mentioned Toby so the final mention will be for Jim Mac now I had my laser eyes on his drumming and my god that boy can play, he is a tour de Force thumping the shit out of that Black Ludwig kit but also has the soft touch when needed ie on GB and SLG, he is one gifted drummer and does Jet proud on the old songs and has created his own template on the new songs.

I was enjoying it so much I looked at my watch and it was 10.34 the time passed so quickly, the first encore had of course just JJ and Baz on high stools and we had the Lines, it sounded much better than the album version, then we had If you should see Dave, JJ talking about Dave and then some prick shouts out, JJ wasn't impressed, after they played those two songs Baz put his arm round JJ a touching moment and it shows how emotional it is performing that song and talking about Dave.

A few minutes later it's the full band back and a blistering version of Tank before JJ climbed the steps and every step the steps lit up a great touch, Baz started singing, start spreading the news I'm leaving today, and of course to finish the very apt No More Heroes a great way to finish.I have seen the Stranglers since 1981 and for me they are just as good as ever, that's my opinion, the crowd were also a really good one, no fat blokes punching each other, just some annoying chap shouting for Nellie the Elephant, it was funny the first time but after eight times a bit tedious, before I finish, it amuses me that some people seem to look so miserable, there was a middle class looking woman near me who seemed to have a face of thunder on her for the whole gig, arms folded, maybe her husband or boyfriend had dragged her along metaphorically speaking, but on the whole most people loved it, to be honest I was blown away how good they were, if this is my final Stranglers gig, it was going out on a high, is this really the last full tour? When your playing that well and people still want to see you? Let's wait and see? But If it is the final Full tour they have gone out on a high. Thanks for all the years of ENJOYMENT.Maybe Heroes do still exist. Lt Kudu over and out.

Ps I Had a brief chat with Louie and thanked him for his production on the album, he was genuinely chuffed. Lt Kudu. :smt006
Glad you thanked louie for the production because yes we all know it was dam good,but i must say watching a few song's from your gig i think Baz has improved on the Mk1 song's and appears not to be over trying or giving it to much when it's not needed,i say that after listening to a suberbly and rightly sung Strange Little Girl he sang it really well i thought and again the sound does sound overall fantastic on the keys and guitars.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

StanInBlack wrote:
Greatkudu wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 16:53 the guitar was back to a Fender Telecaster
Of course it was. It's kinda the first step if you're going to embark on a new career trying to impersonate Hugh Cornwell.
Absolutely

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 20:21
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 13:19 My last Stranglers gig was Portugal 2020,so since then big changes in my life and the Stranglers, so I was just pleased to be at Reading on Tuesday to be honest, first on the mighty Ruts DC pure class from the three piece maestros, a pure joy, classic Ruts songs and some cuts from the last album Music Must Destroy and really good new song from upcoming album, Segs Jennings said enjoy the Stranglers they are on fire? Well I would judge that for myself.

21.00 The Stranglers enter the stage and yes for me it's still the Stranglers end of, first song Toiler and from that moment all doubts about how I would feel being my first gig without Dave went, Toby is a fantastic player and Toiler is one of the most challenging songs on the keyboards according to a keyboard player friend of mine, you could tell the band were up for it, second number an energetic Something Better Change with JJ doing his Shidokan Karate stepping in that song.

Before Water Baz Introduced Toby and mentioned he had Big Balls and big shoes to fill, I can't comment on his balls :smt005 But Toby got a good cheer and applause, now let's just mention Toby a fucking hero for filling huge shoes and doing Dave and band proud, his playing is amazing and he looks and fits like a glove IMHO.

I won't mention all the set as you all know but it was similar but we had Tank and Heroes to finish.The sound mix was very good and I don't know if they have done something with the Keyboards but they seemed to have a fuller sound than last few years with the late great man. The lights were the best I can remember for along time they really added something to the whole production, my Faves of the night were White Stallion, Curfew, all the new songs and a stonking version of Straighten Out, but to be honest I enjoyed the whole set, the band have such a rappport on stage between each other, the shadow of Hugh no longer exists IMHO, Baz owns that frontman role now end of, of course it wouldn't be a Stranglers gig without Baz telling someone to Fuck Off,before Walk on Bye Baz was fine tuning his guitar and someone shouts get on with it, of course Baz said Fuck Off very funny.

JJ was in fine voice and as good as ever, Baz just fantastic and I have already mentioned Toby so the final mention will be for Jim Mac now I had my laser eyes on his drumming and my god that boy can play, he is a tour de Force thumping the shit out of that Black Ludwig kit but also has the soft touch when needed ie on GB and SLG, he is one gifted drummer and does Jet proud on the old songs and has created his own template on the new songs.

I was enjoying it so much I looked at my watch and it was 10.34 the time passed so quickly, the first encore had of course just JJ and Baz on high stools and we had the Lines, it sounded much better than the album version, then we had If you should see Dave, JJ talking about Dave and then some prick shouts out, JJ wasn't impressed, after they played those two songs Baz put his arm round JJ a touching moment and it shows how emotional it is performing that song and talking about Dave.

A few minutes later it's the full band back and a blistering version of Tank before JJ climbed the steps and every step the steps lit up a great touch, Baz started singing, start spreading the news I'm leaving today, and of course to finish the very apt No More Heroes a great way to finish.I have seen the Stranglers since 1981 and for me they are just as good as ever, that's my opinion, the crowd were also a really good one, no fat blokes punching each other, just some annoying chap shouting for Nellie the Elephant, it was funny the first time but after eight times a bit tedious, before I finish, it amuses me that some people seem to look so miserable, there was a middle class looking woman near me who seemed to have a face of thunder on her for the whole gig, arms folded, maybe her husband or boyfriend had dragged her along metaphorically speaking, but on the whole most people loved it, to be honest I was blown away how good they were, if this is my final Stranglers gig, it was going out on a high, is this really the last full tour? When your playing that well and people still want to see you? Let's wait and see? But If it is the final Full tour they have gone out on a high. Thanks for all the years of ENJOYMENT.Maybe Heroes do still exist. Lt Kudu over and out.

Ps I Had a brief chat with Louie and thanked him for his production on the album, he was genuinely chuffed. Lt Kudu. :smt006
Glad you thanked louie for the production because yes we all know it was dam good,but i must say watching a few song's from your gig i think Baz has improved on the Mk1 song's and appears not to be over trying or giving it to much when it's not needed,i say that after listening to a suberbly and rightly sung Strange Little Girl he sang it really well i thought and again the sound does sound overall fantastic on the keys and guitars.
Yes I would say Baz is better than ever IMHO. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Greatkudu wrote:

What does that even mean?!

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Skindeep81
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Skindeep81 »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 19:43
Greatkudu wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 16:53 the guitar was back to a Fender Telecaster
Of course it was. It's kinda the first step if you're going to embark on a new career trying to impersonate Hugh Cornwell.
Do your fingers ever get tired of typing shite?
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 21:47
Greatkudu wrote:

Jim

Jim what does that mean? What it says, he is performing better than ever being the frontman IMHO. Lt Kudu.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

It wasn't so much as a gig as a religious experience.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 22:50 It wasn't so much as a gig as a religious experience.
The false gods and hypocrisy experience?
Greatkudu wrote: Yes I would say Baz is better than ever IMHO. Lt Kudu.
Well, let's see...

He could mean "Baz is a better songwriter than ever" but I'd disagree with that statement completely as its evident from the recorded output that Baz had used up every single last one of his better ideas on Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI before running out of creative steam.

He could mean "Baz is a better singer than ever" but I'd also disagree with that statement as Baz's voice was at its "finest" (or at its most tolerable) on Suite XVI before rapidly falling off. His vocal on "Retro Rockets" was just about bearable, but stuff like "Mercury Rising" and (even more recently) "This Song" is just inexcusable and lends credence to the theory that he's the weakest singer ever to perform with the "Stranglers brand" ... he's no Hugh, he's definitely no PR, but he's no Dave or JJ either. As for singing the MKI songs? Give me a break.

He could mean that "Baz is a better performer than ever" but his stage shtick - from what I've seen, at least - has remained the same since the Suite XVI era and even before, so... again, I disagree.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 22:50
Yanders wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 22:50 It wasn't so much as a gig as a religious experience.
The false gods and hypocrisy experience?
Greatkudu wrote: Yes I would say Baz is better than ever IMHO. Lt Kudu.
Well, let's see...

He could mean "Baz is a better songwriter than ever" but I'd disagree with that statement completely as its evident from the recorded output that Baz had used up every single last one of his better ideas on Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI before running out of creative steam.

He could mean "Baz is a better singer than ever" but I'd also disagree with that statement as Baz's voice was at its "finest" (or at its most tolerable) on Suite XVI before rapidly falling off. His vocal on "Retro Rockets" was just about bearable, but stuff like "Mercury Rising" and (even more recently) "This Song" is just inexcusable and lends credence to the theory that he's the weakest singer ever to perform with the "Stranglers brand" ... he's no Hugh, he's definitely no PR, but he's no Dave or JJ either. As for singing the MKI songs? Give me a break.

He could mean that "Baz is a better performer than ever" but his stage shtick - from what I've seen, at least - has remained the same since the Suite XVI era and even before, so... again, I disagree.
Stan I would be disappointed if you ever agreed with me. Lt Kudu. :smt005
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 19:43 Of course it was. It's kinda the first step if you're going to embark on a new career trying to impersonate Hugh Cornwell.
I don't think he goes out to impersonate Hugh. He can play the guitar parts from the MKI tracks live with ease, somewhat better than Hugh, he can sing the lyrics, though lacks the range. What he does not do, is to try and play in the style of Hugh on new material - if he did, then yes, that would be an impersonation.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

He means which is quite self explanatory i think that currently Baz is performing at his very best with the Stranglers which i happen to 100% agree with that too.I started to think Baz was singing and playing his best that i have ever heard him previoulsy and that was on the DM acoustic sessions with an incredible version with JJ with ISGKM it made me take notice of Baz in a different light who also in that version played the harmonica very nicely too.I think he's matured well togehter with JJ who know eachother inside out now and are peaking their craft so well better than at any other point previously i feel in this band.I haven't seen them live since before the release of DM but since last year in the wilderness of covid leading up to it's release i could tell that Baz had clearly improved so much so gone was any over trying or over doing any vocal parts and that his singing was just right and sung really well and nicely on the album and now this tour too,another example is LMOTM off DM i listened to his vocals on this tour and once again he's really improved the live version as good as the studio version live.
So overall yes i agree that Baz right now is at his very best performing with this band and that's both live and studio tracks from DM both at his best for me anyway as just one fan i can't speak for anybody else each to their own as usual.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 27 Feb 2022, 00:23, edited 1 time in total.