Reading the review the final full UK Tour?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Reading the review the final full UK Tour?

Post by theraven1979 »

parasiteinblack wrote:
Yanders wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 02:39
Skindeep81 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 00:03 He absolutely owns the front man role. Fact. Its no coincidence Baz joining The Stranglers catapulted them back into bigger tours, better reviews, kicked out the dead wood and made the band a million miles better than it was before he joined...and we all know that's true because that's what happened.

Didn't that come off the back of Norfolk coast, with Paul as the front man?
Yes exactly, Paul was part of rekindling of the success. Sure you can point to Baz joining the band as being part of the reason, but not necessarily Baz as frontman.
MKIII were a great lineup.
Agreed. The "rebirth" of the band around the time of Norfolk Coast was absolutely with Paul as the front man. Things seem to dive a little with S16 then by the time they'd got to Giants they were completely out of steam

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 11:50
parasiteinblack wrote:
Yanders wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 02:39

Didn't that come off the back of Norfolk coast, with Paul as the front man?
Yes exactly, Paul was part of rekindling of the success. Sure you can point to Baz joining the band as being part of the reason, but not necessarily Baz as frontman.
Agreed. The "rebirth" of the band around the time of Norfolk Coast was absolutely with Paul as the front man. Things seem to dive a little with S16 then by the time they'd got to Giants they were completely out of steam

Jim

Well I think by all accounts Baz joining was the key to NC being a return to form, he gave the band an injection of energy and a sonic kick up the arse after the tragic Coup de Grace, but it was also the beginning of the end for Paul. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Skindeep81 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 00:03 He absolutely owns the front man role. Fact. Its no coincidence Baz joining The Stranglers catapulted them back into bigger tours, better reviews, kicked out the dead wood and made the band a million miles better than it was before he joined...and we all know that's true because that's what happened.
Even if this were true (which it isn't), what does any of this have to do with Baz's non-role in establishing The Stranglers' brand or writing/recording any of The Stranglers key/classic tracks or albums? Absolutely zip.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Homer wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 01:32 will you bother to see The Stranglers on the Saturday night?
I'm not interested in going to see the band currently calling itself "The Stranglers", no.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 11:32 Yes exactly, Paul was part of rekindling of the success. Sure you can point to Baz joining the band as being part of the reason, but not necessarily Baz as frontman.
Indeed, PR was very much part of dragging the band out of the Coup de Grace era doldrums as well as - perhaps most importantly - increased engagement and interest from Black, Burnel and Greenfield. If there's any line-up that could have established a career that didn't rely on MKI, it was MKIII. Of course PR was prised out, Baz took over as singer and artistically it all went to shit again.
straightenout
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by straightenout »

Great review Mr Kudu and sums up my thoughts too , I got to three gigs on the Tour and all were fantastic and big respect to JJ ,Baz , Jim and Toby for putting on 3 of the best gigs I have seen in a long time ,highlights for me were the 6 songs from Dark Matters but especially White Stallion which followed one of my all time favourite Stranglers songs Curfew , the overall production and light show which just added to 3 special evenings in Guildford ,Portsmouth and Brighton ,I spoke to JJ prior to Guildford gig and he was so pleased with how the Tour had been and the reception that Toby had received at the gigs ,I also grabbed a few words with Louis after Brighton gig thanking him for his production on Dark Matters -if Brighton is to be the last time I see the band live then so be it but it was a belter to go out on if it was
I don't mean Rough Looking
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 13:26
theraven1979 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 11:50
parasiteinblack wrote:

Jim

Well I think by all accounts Baz joining was the key to NC being a return to form, he gave the band an injection of energy and a sonic kick up the arse after the tragic Coup de Grace, but it was also the beginning of the end for Paul. Lt Kudu.
I agree 100% you are right there with Baz and that is exactly how i see it like you say 'The Injection Of Energy' and kick up the arse that i felt was needed too for sure.Baz for sure and to my ears clearly could see as a fan from the outside looking in where they were going wrong and that is to get them back to basics and back to their roots again so to speak annd to a certain extent as MK1 can never be reproduced but to change direction and lets start again to put smiles back on our fans faces again to what they want to hear and see and lets return and crank it up the energy again with the fast pace and turned up dirty bass again and turn it all up again where we can hear Dave's keys and above everything else JJ's bass thumping out form start to finish of a track again and not under everything else.....and that to me is what seperated them from the rest and above all that's what was missing on the new material but did return again on NC,it's that distinctive up beat dirty bass music and exceptional riffs that made this band the one they were, so i think he returned again to what was missing and what they have known for decades in their past works very well and what their fans want to hear on the new material and i think he woke up a few clouded heads along the way and now they are really in top gear with all their instruments being heard again as it always was with MK1,that's how i see it as one fan.
Again it's only my guess to how i see the band improvement again with baz.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 16:10
Greatkudu wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 13:26
theraven1979 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 11:50 Agreed. The "rebirth" of the band around the time of Norfolk Coast was absolutely with Paul as the front man. Things seem to dive a little with S16 then by the time they'd got to Giants they were completely out of steam

Jim

I agree 100% you are right there with Baz and that is exactly how i see it like you say 'The Injection Of Energy' and kick up the arse that i felt was needed too for sure.Baz for sure and to my ears clearly could see as a fan from the outside looking in where they were going wrong and that is to get them back to basics and back to their roots again so to speak annd to a certain extent as MK1 can never be reproduced but to change direction and lets start again to put smiles back on our fans faces again to what they want to hear and see and lets return and crank it up the energy again with the fast pace and turned up dirty bass again and turn it all up again where we can hear Dave's keys and above everything else JJ's bass thumping out form start to finish of a track again and not under everything else.....and that to me is what seperated them from the rest and above all that's what was missing on the new material but did return again on NC,it's that distinctive up beat dirty bass music and exceptional riffs that made this band the one they were, so i think he returned again to what was missing and what they have known for decades in their past works very well and what their fans want to hear on the new material and i think he woke up a few clouded heads along the way and now they are really in top gear with all their instruments being heard again as it always was with MK1,that's how i see it as one fan.
Again it's only my guess to how i see the band improvement again with baz.
Sir spot on again IMHO, the guitar was back to a Fender Telecaster, the bass was dirty and loud again, although it was JJs choice to have a quiter sound from La Folie onwards, but around 84 he started using Flat Wound strings which aren't as bright as Round Wound ones, every one was trying to sound like him at the time so he go fed up with that sound, Hugh was happy as he wanted a quieter bass sound, I'm so glad JJ came back with his Round Wound strings for NC and cranked it up, i remember when they were rehearsing Big Thing Coming, Dave said where back and they were, like a sleeping Lion awoken from his afternoon rest after feasting on a Zebra, the band woke up and the rest is history, Baz deff was the key make no mistake. And the band I saw in Reading may have had some changes obviously but to me and many others, it's still the Stranglers working that old Black Magic And playing the black Jukebox and more. I Salute the band. Lt Kudu. PS when you have just come back from a Yamaha Mk1 ride it makes you rather positive. :smt005 but I was Captain slow today a feeble 130mph, I hang my head in shame.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 16:53 JJs choice to have a quiter sound from La Folie onwards, but around 84 he started using Flat Wound strings which aren't as bright as Round Wound ones, every one was trying to sound like him at the time so he go fed up with that sound, Hugh was happy as he wanted a quieter bass sound, I'm so glad JJ came back with his Round Wound strings for NC and cranked it up
I think the only two flatwound albums were Feline and Aural. Dreamtime possibly but that just sounds like a Steinberger XL2 to me (as does Un Jour Parfait).
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

markorbit wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 17:15
Greatkudu wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 16:53 JJs choice to have a quiter sound from La Folie onwards, but around 84 he started using Flat Wound strings which aren't as bright as Round Wound ones, every one was trying to sound like him at the time so he go fed up with that sound, Hugh was happy as he wanted a quieter bass sound, I'm so glad JJ came back with his Round Wound strings for NC and cranked it up
I think the only two flatwound albums were Feline and Aural. Dreamtime possibly but that just sounds like a Steinberger XL2 to me (as does Un Jour Parfait).
Sir thanks you know more than me, but wasn't Feline acoustic bass? On the Feline tour his bass was still loud but next Tour Aural the bass was really muted. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 18:15
markorbit wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 17:15
Sir thanks you know more than me, but wasn't Feline acoustic bass? On the Feline tour his bass was still loud but next Tour Aural the bass was really muted. Lt Kudu.
I find it intresting how on top of their game each single member is and especially Toby and the togetherness all so very quickly.So would you say the sound was a lot better all round or some of the best you've heard on individual instruments i mean i'm only what i call listening second hand on vids which can never be the same but it seems to me more than anything the crystal clear sound of especially Toby's keys and baz's lead guitar work and riffs sounded extra clear and good what did you think compared to previous gigs they've obviously changed something overall for the better,it must of been great at the gig and again glad you made it and enjoyed it.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 16:53 the guitar was back to a Fender Telecaster
Of course it was. It's kinda the first step if you're going to embark on a new career trying to impersonate Hugh Cornwell.