Reading the review the final full UK Tour?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Skindeep81
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Reading the review the final full UK Tour?

Post by Skindeep81 »

StanInBlack wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 15:22
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 13:19 Baz owns that frontman role now end of
End of what, exactly? The "end of" the shit that comes out the "end of" a bull? Because that's what that statement amounts to :lol:
He absolutely owns the front man role. Fact. Its no coincidence Baz joining The Stranglers catapulted them back into bigger tours, better reviews, kicked out the dead wood and made the band a million miles better than it was before he joined...and we all know that's true because that's what happened.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Skindeep81 wrote:
End of what, exactly? The "end of" the shit that comes out the "end of" a bull? Because that's what that statement amounts to Image
He absolutely owns the front man role. Fact. Its no coincidence Baz joining The Stranglers catapulted them back into bigger tours, better reviews, kicked out the dead wood and made the band a million miles better than it was before he joined...and we all know that's true because that's what happened.
That's your opinion not really factual. They were filling the same venues with Roberts and Ellis. If what you're saying is true (which it isn't), it's sad that they need someone to come along and rescue the band

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

theraven1979 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 00:17 That's your opinion not really factual. They were filling the same venues with Roberts and Ellis. If what you're saying is true (which it isn't), it's sad that they need someone to come along and rescue the band

Not true.They were playing Manchester Academy, not the Apollo.London Shepherds Bush Empire, not Brixton.The band weren't filling many venues during that dark era of the 90s.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Ruby wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 00:17 That's your opinion not really factual. They were filling the same venues with Roberts and Ellis. If what you're saying is true (which it isn't), it's sad that they need someone to come along and rescue the band

Not true.They were playing Manchester Academy, not the Apollo.London Shepherds Bush Empire, not Brixton.The band weren't filling many venues during that dark era of the 90s.
They were filling the same venues fact. You're comparing different venues. MKII also played bigger venues RAH etc. So what?! Baz has no relevance here

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

StanInBlack wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 16:06
Greatkudu wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 00:23 others may disagree of course, but it was just my honest thoughts
Greatkudu wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 16:01 I find your comment pretty offensive
I'm sorry that you're offended that I disagree with you even after you've already acknowledged that people may disagree with you. In my opinion, Baz can never truly "own" the role of Stranglers frontman as he had absolutely nothing to do with either the creation of the position or the "value" such a position holds in the first place.
Fuck me Stan .... you spout the same drivel on every thread , we know what you think so no need to keep spouting it.There's loads of threads I don't comment on whether I have an opinion or not, but I agree regarding you being a 'moderator' .... is it a Power thing for you? Just stop repeating yourself on every thread.
Homer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Homer »

PS .... Stan, as your reside in 'Durham' I take it you'll be going to see Hugh on the Friday night at the SVF at Ushaw Moor, Aug 5th? Local to you ..... will you bother to see The Stranglers on the Saturday night?

You may be surprised how they are these days, I was, I still admit I hated 'Giants' and the gigs of the time but they seemed to have turned things around.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Skindeep81 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 00:03
End of what, exactly? The "end of" the shit that comes out the "end of" a bull? Because that's what that statement amounts to :lol:
Agreed it's each to their own on this one...but i agree here too.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Didn't that come off the back of Norfolk coast, with Paul as the front man?
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Ruby wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 01:15 The band weren't filling many venues during that dark era of the 90s.
I think a lot of bands from the same era had a lull in the 90s/00s. Maybe they were seen as yesterdays men until later when you earn the kudos from being around for so long.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 22:03
Greatkudu wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 21:02
Palais81 wrote: 25 Feb 2022, 19:40 Many thanks for your review Kudu. White Stallion really works on this tour. It proves that being at the gig is a lot different to watching YouTube footage from a mobile phone. I personally do not care if a band has the occasional backing track as long as the members participate in playing during the song (I have seen plenty of psychedelic bands do this over the years and some others who are synth heavy during recording). Glad you enjoyed the gig. For me the tour had 2 important plusses : 1. No brass. 2. No Paul. Many will disagree with this...but been seeing them live for the same time as you and it's just my preference. Shock horror - I preferred this gig to seeing Mk1 at the Dominion on the Aural Sculpture tour.
Glad you enjoyed Sir, White Stallion a fantastic song. Lt Kudu. :smt006
I've got to admit as my gig days are done now i would love to hear and see them after seeing just how good they've been on this tour especially with the likes of White Stallion and other DM tracks they've done that i won't get to hear live anymore because they really are sounding especially good nowdays as a unit sounding a very tight band that's certainly full of energy with also the big noticeable factor for me is that they do appear clearly to be enjoying their craft still live so much and that's the main thing apart from also that the fans seem to be very happy with their good night out and money's worth still which for me at the end of the day is the main thing all round for both the band and it's following.
The band's satisfaction of a good performance as a musician is secondary to none with their earning a crust for a living doing what they love doing best what a job lol also seeing that their fans are enjoying what they are doing up on stage is the buzz i think that keeps them going on and on and the fact that they are bringing enjoyment to people's lives who are enjoying what they are doing up on stage where all round everyone's happy.
Great Post Sir spot on. Lt Kudu.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Yanders wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 02:39

Yes exactly, Paul was part of rekindling of the success. Sure you can point to Baz joining the band as being part of the reason, but not necessarily Baz as frontman.
MKIII were a great lineup.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

parasiteinblack wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 11:32
Yanders wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 02:39

Yes exactly, Paul was part of rekindling of the success. Sure you can point to Baz joining the band as being part of the reason, but not necessarily Baz as frontman.
MKIII were a great lineup.
True but Baz joining injected a well need injection of energy to the band as he bonded with JJ, that's really the key IMHO, and after NC album Paul was feeling like a session singer as he was cut out of alot of the songwriting as I understand it. But it's all history, to me they are still a great live band and I hope they carry on for a few more years yet, but I don't see another album.Lt Kudu.