Brighton?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Brighton?

Post by strangledinAuch »

my home town,sadly couldn't make the gig,sold out very quickly

anyone attend?

what with it being Dave's home town and who can forget Aunt Gwen

any special mentions?
See You At The Bar
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Brighton?

Post by Greatkudu »

strangledinAuch wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 19:39 my home town,sadly couldn't make the gig,sold out very quickly

anyone attend?

what with it being Dave's home town and who can forget Aunt Gwen

any special mentions?
Sir I have seen no reviews of Brighton on here, apparently Kirk Brandon from TOH and Spear of Destiny was at the gig. Lt Kudu.
Valery
Rats Rally

Post by Valery »

This must be one of the most exhaustive gig reviews I have ever seen written up by local news media.

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/202 ... reenfield/
dreamtime101

Post by dreamtime101 »

Valery wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 00:36 This must be one of the most exhaustive gig reviews I have ever seen written up by local news media.

That's a great review. I guess that it sums up how a lot of fans will feel. Thanks for the link.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Thanks I have seen this review already, pure class review even better than my Reading review, someone who really has taken it all in and knows their stuff, great that they gave Ruts DC alot of space as they are the best support act the band have had in recent year's and a great band in their own right.Well done to the reviewer I give them 10 out of 10. Lt Kudu. :smt006
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Ooh, Baz is changing the lyric to "Peaches" just like Hugh did! 8)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 12:54 Ooh, Baz is changing the lyric to "Peaches" just like Hugh did! 8)
Is he? Naughty Baz give him fifty lines of speed, shock horror. Lt Kudu. :smt005
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

I was at Brighton with my son, upstairs this time unlike Guildford a couple of weeks before, where I was downstairs with the hoardes.
We turned up as the Ruts were finishing, which was no great musical loss to me. I wandered out to get a beer during their set in Guildford, as I found their solid sound powerful enough for a three piece but of no musical interest. Some faux reggae song was the final blow for me.
I await the replies on that assessment :grin:
However I would say that as got some merch at the end, they were also at their stand and seemed like really good blokes, chatting to their many fans.

The MiB were again on top form. Yes, it’s a very different experience to a tension filled Glasgow Apollo in 1980, with a line of police at the back of the hall, but in terms of sheer enjoyment it was all I could ask for. The band are playing and sounding great, and as someone who was watching and listening to Toby, willing him on, he has truly risen to the challenge. Not only were his keys spot on [shout out for Golden Brown, Walk On By, Go Buddy Go] but the choice of keyboard sounds seemed to have more of a bottom end than Dave had in the later years, something Ive moaned about previously.

Jim never gets enough credit for me, and he is very much the backbone to all of this, just like the great man . Like Guildford, Ioved the way he shouts at JJ and the audience during the silent 1-2-3-4 pause in Go Buddy Go.

Baz could not be more of a Strangler to me. Yes, he is playing and singing HC’s parts on many songs, but he is fully invested. His musical contributions in the 21st century material have, for me, been vital in keeping the band moving forward, and I suspect getting the best out of JJ’s songwriting material. I can almost forgive him for Golden Brown solo posturing now :grin:
Almost.
The one thing he needs to work on is stage patter. Last three or four times Ive seen them, it is the usual “Cockney wankers”, “can you understand what I’m saying” or some “humerous” dig at the posh people upstairs. With Stewart Lee, every time I revisit his videos, the audience digs get funnier and funnier. This is the opposite. Apologies for this slight moan however, as I could not be more grateful for all he brings to the band. Relentless - best post HC song.

As for JJ, well there is no more to be said. A bass giant, the man who more than any band member, current or previous, probably brings that menace to the melody, which is the essence of why they remain my favourite band after all these years, and is still, with Baz, producing music that I love.
White Stallion being the latest example, where he tries his best to get along with the beat while looking slightly awkward, the band (and backing tracking) deliver the goods, and the audience reaction at the end of the song, at both gigs, was a joy to see.

And he obviously put Nostradamus in the shade, as he sings Curfew while current events unfold.[ there’s a reference to at least two songs in there]

As the Brighton review said, there can surely be no way they will be giving this up when they are on this kind of form?

For me, half the pleasure is when you bring family or mates along, and they really enjoy it. My son certainly did, and is a true credit to the brainwashing he has received over the last 15 years, as he told me each song title as it cranked up. My project is now complete.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch »

Valery wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 00:36 This must be one of the most exhaustive gig reviews I have ever seen written up by local news media.

many thanks for this,fantastic!
See You At The Bar
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

jonimac wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 17:10 Some faux reggae song was the final blow for me.
However I would say that as got some merch at the end, they were also at their stand and seemed like really good blokes, chatting to their many fans.
That was my initial thought when they were supporting a few years ago, but it's grown on me a bit and on this tour I've made sure to get there in plenty of time to see their full set, and I'm even thinking of going to their own tour later in the year.

I'd agree they seem to be nice blokes - I had a chat with Segs Jennings on Warrington railway station on the original night as he'd not found out until his train was almost there, and Leigh was standing with the merch last night chatting, signing and having photos taken and generally interacting.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
straightenout
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by straightenout »

droopsnoot wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 19:09
jonimac wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 17:10 Some faux reggae song was the final blow for me.
That was my initial thought when they were supporting a few years ago, but it's grown on me a bit and on this tour I've made sure to get there in plenty of time to see their full set, and I'm even thinking of going to their own tour later in the year.

I'd agree they seem to be nice blokes - I had a chat with Segs Jennings on Warrington railway station on the original night as he'd not found out until his train was almost there, and Leigh was standing with the merch last night chatting, signing and having photos taken and generally interacting.
Segs and Ruffy are top guys and in my eyes the best Rhythm section to come out of Punk , always very affable and approachable and seen the band loads of times live , will not comment on the Guitarist though but hasten to add that Brighton gig was the last time that i will see them live -seen them over 70 times :x
I don't mean Rough Looking
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

straightenout wrote: 01 Mar 2022, 16:04
droopsnoot wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 19:09

Segs and Ruffy are top guys and in my eyes the best Rhythm section to come out of Punk , always very affable and approachable and seen the band loads of times live , will not comment on the Guitarist though but hasten to add that Brighton gig was the last time that i will see them live -seen them over 70 times :x
Leigh Heggarty a great player. Lt Kudu.