Birmingham

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bogenbroom
Rats Rally

Birmingham

Post by Bogenbroom »

Gig tonight, first time I’ll have seen the band since 2016, and - most likely - the last time too. Going to be a bittersweet night I think but I’m looking forward to hearing the new songs live, a couple of old ones I haven’t heard quite as often as the others, and a chance to say goodbye.

Hope it’s a good one 8)
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Re: Birmingham

Post by RetroRocket »

Have a good one!

I did the same at Brixton. It was time for my last Stranglers gig, it was a great gig...I felt quite content!

RR
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Bogenbroom wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 14:18 and a chance to say goodbye.
Never Say Goodbye
See You At The Bar
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

We’ll Leeds was my first!
Really hope not the last time!
Bogenbroom
Rats Rally

Post by Bogenbroom »

That was superb.

We all know the setlist, so no surprises as such, but it was well put together. Don’t Bring Harry was nicely done, the selection of 77-79 stuff was all the songs the crowd wanted to hear plus a couple of slightly deeper cuts (ok, not that deep, but not played for a while).

Most of the new songs were significantly better live than on the record. The Lines and Dave made a really affecting encore - it generated real emotion - and White Stallion was immense. The clips on YouTube aren’t remotely representative of how it comes across in the hall.

Toby did exactly what was needed - played all the right notes, got the tricky bits right, added a touch here and there.

Jim played solidly all night. I miss Jet’s subtler touch on things like Walk on By and Skin Deep, but Jim powered the whole thing along.

Based on the reaction of a big crowd who were clearly up for it tonight, there’s no question that this is the Stranglers. It’s not the *same* Stranglers as 40 years ago, stating the bleeding obvious, but it’s the Stranglers today.

Brilliant gig. And I don’t think they’ve finished at all, given what JJ and Baz were saying.

Stick with them, or don’t if you prefer, but this is a good band and they seem pretty full of life at the moment.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bogenbroom wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 01:01 Based on the reaction of a big crowd who were clearly up for it tonight, there’s no question that this is the Stranglers. It’s not the *same* Stranglers as 40 years ago, stating the bleeding obvious, but it’s the Stranglers today.
Hmm. I would definitely question it, not only on the basis that the Stranglers of 40 years ago were The Stranglers (and therefore this current line-up isn't and could never be) but also I don't see what the size and the level of enthusiasm of the crowd (which is going to be mostly comprised of dyed-in-the-wool hardcore fans who are evidently willing to continue to invest in the brand no matter what and people that they've dragged along) watching has to do with the collection of individuals onstage and their decision to call themselves The Stranglers.

I'm glad you enjoyed the gig, though!
airflamesred
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by airflamesred »

Let it go Stan, it'll be better for your health.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Bogenbroom wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 01:01 That was superb.

We all know the setlist, so no surprises as such, but it was well put together. Don’t Bring Harry was nicely done, the selection of 77-79 stuff was all the songs the crowd wanted to hear plus a couple of slightly deeper cuts (ok, not that deep, but not played for a while).

Most of the new songs were significantly better live than on the record. The Lines and Dave made a really affecting encore - it generated real emotion - and White Stallion was immense. The clips on YouTube aren’t remotely representative of how it comes across in the hall.

Toby did exactly what was needed - played all the right notes, got the tricky bits right, added a touch here and there.

Jim played solidly all night. I miss Jet’s subtler touch on things like Walk on By and Skin Deep, but Jim powered the whole thing along.

Based on the reaction of a big crowd who were clearly up for it tonight, there’s no question that this is the Stranglers. It’s not the *same* Stranglers as 40 years ago, stating the bleeding obvious, but it’s the Stranglers today.

Brilliant gig. And I don’t think they’ve finished at all, given what JJ and Baz were saying.

Stick with them, or don’t if you prefer, but this is a good band and they seem pretty full of life at the moment.
Well said Bogenbroom, it seem’s almost unanimous from those who first saw the band ~40 years ago and have been on the recent tour, just how good The Stranglers still are, not the same (‘stating the bleeding obvious’), but still great live.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Great to hear you all enjoyed. Lt Kudu.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

You can't fool Strangers fans they are to switched on, people who have been going since the early 80s are still enjoying the gigs, they can't be fooled, it's still the Stranglers but in a different incarnation obviously, Im really excited about Reading this Tuesday touch wood, even after treatment back is still not right, but even if I have to go using stick I will. Lt Kudu. :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:
Bogenbroom wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 01:01 That was superb.

Well said Bogenbroom, it seem’s almost unanimous from those who first saw the band ~40 years ago and have been on the recent tour, just how good The Stranglers still are, not the same (‘stating the bleeding obvious’), but still great live.
"not the same" . Yep, that band you saw 40 years ago is very different to what it is now. Probably before Jim was even born. But yeah glad you enjoyed it. I also enjoy going to see Straighten Out in a similar way that I enjoyed seeing Cornwell, Greenfield, Black and Burnel all those years ago.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 12:51"not the same" . Yep, that band you saw 40 years ago is very different to what it is now. Probably before Jim was even born. But yeah glad you enjoyed it. I also enjoy going to see Straighten Out in a similar way that I enjoyed seeing Cornwell, Greenfield, Black and Burnel all those years ago.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
It’s good you enjoy going to see Straighten Out, and IMO sad you have decided to no longer go to see The Stranglers, you are really missing out on an excellent band on top form. I find it strange preferring a tribute act (no matter how good), when the vastly better Stranglers are still going, but each to theIr own.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.