Birmingham

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Birmingham

Post by Bear Cage »

Greatkudu wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 12:51 …people who have been going since the early 80s are still enjoying the gigs, they can't be fooled…
Spot on sir, and hopefully your back is suitably recovered for Reading, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed by either The Ruts DC or The Stranglers.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 19:23
Bogenbroom wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 14:18 and a chance to say goodbye.
Never Say Goodbye
I've a feeling you could be more than right there.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 13:58 I find it strange preferring a tribute act (no matter how good), when the vastly better Stranglers are still going, but each to theIr own.
To my mind it's the same thing. The only difference is that the likes of Straighten Out don't pretend they're anything more than a tribute act.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 15:18
Bear Cage wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 13:58 I find it strange preferring a tribute act (no matter how good), when the vastly better Stranglers are still going, but each to theIr own.
To my mind it's the same thing. The only difference is that the likes of Straighten Out don't pretend they're anything more than a tribute act.
To quote Lt Kudo
Greatkudu wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 12:51 …people who have been going since the early 80s are still enjoying the gigs, they can't be fooled, it's still the Stranglers…
But there are those that have seen neither (and whose opinions are less credible).
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:
To quote Lt Kudo
Greatkudu wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 12:51 …people who have been going since the early 80s are still enjoying the gigs, they can't be fooled, it's still the Stranglers…
But there are those that have seen neither (and whose opinions are less credible).
I think whether you saw the stranglers 40 years ago or for the first time last night it doesn't make anyone's opinion less valid.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 15:45
Bear Cage wrote:

To quote Lt Kudo
I think whether you saw the stranglers 40 years ago or for the first time last night it doesn't make anyone's opinion less valid.

Jim

I never said opinions weren’t valid, just some were more credible than others.
if you’ve seen neither the Stranglers of forty years ago, nor their recent concerts, then your opinion on either is less credible than someone who has (which is what I posted), especially if that opinion is a comparison. Others may shout (or post endlessly) otherwise (which is their right), but I (and others) don’t have to accept that as a credible opinion, so can challenge/disagree.
For example, If I started spouting shit on here about the Stranglers live in 77 (having not seen them in that period) and Alan Hillier disagreed, most reasonable people would accept his opinion as more credible and valid.
Last edited by Bear Cage on 20 Feb 2022, 18:20, edited 2 times in total.
jeanjacketburnel
Rats Rally

Post by jeanjacketburnel »

I saw the stranglers last night. Not the same line-up when I first saw them in '79 but the same vibe.
STEVE
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

Is vibe another word for songs? :grin:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

It's not so much a question of whether people can or can't be "fooled" and it's more either an exercise in denial as to what the current line-up actually is or clutching at straws to justify the current line-up as being anywhere close to the real deal. To my mind, it all seems to boil down to a refusal to believe that it's over, for one reason or another.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 01:19
Bogenbroom wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 01:01 Based on the reaction of a big crowd who were clearly up for it tonight, there’s no question that this is the Stranglers. It’s not the *same* Stranglers as 40 years ago, stating the bleeding obvious, but it’s the Stranglers today.
Hmm. I would definitely question it, not only on the basis that the Stranglers of 40 years ago were The Stranglers (and therefore this current line-up isn't and could never be) but also I don't see what the size and the level of enthusiasm of the crowd (which is going to be mostly comprised of dyed-in-the-wool hardcore fans who are evidently willing to continue to invest in the brand no matter what and people that they've dragged along) watching has to do with the collection of individuals onstage and their decision to call themselves The Stranglers.

I'm glad you enjoyed the gig, though!
This isn't the same band of 40 years ago that's the obvious to everybody and fan out there too like you say but it's still The stranglers band different in members yes and looks yes but that stranglers distinctive sound that they have worked so hard to be the same is and has not changed when they want it to that is,so for me anyway the energy is the same,the sound is the same to an ever on going never broken up band.
So i like you have said am glad that the fans are enjoying themselves because whatever any of us think or say about this band the all important point is fans are enjoying the band live again for their money's worth and also with the new material too and if this band brings enjoyment to people out there in a world that's seen so much doom and gloom for such a long time now not being allowed to go out and about i say well done to them for cheering people up and getting people out again on a good night out ...enjoying themselves again and enjoying their music too.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 20 Feb 2022, 19:17, edited 2 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 18:53
StanInBlack wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 01:19
Bogenbroom wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 01:01 Based on the reaction of a big crowd who were clearly up for it tonight, there’s no question that this is the Stranglers. It’s not the *same* Stranglers as 40 years ago, stating the bleeding obvious, but it’s the Stranglers today.
Hmm. I would definitely question it, not only on the basis that the Stranglers of 40 years ago were The Stranglers (and therefore this current line-up isn't and could never be) but also I don't see what the size and the level of enthusiasm of the crowd (which is going to be mostly comprised of dyed-in-the-wool hardcore fans who are evidently willing to continue to invest in the brand no matter what and people that they've dragged along) watching has to do with the collection of individuals onstage and their decision to call themselves The Stranglers.

I'm glad you enjoyed the gig, though!
This is isn't the same band of 40 years ago that's the obvious to everybody and fan out there too like you say but it's still The stranglers band different in members yes and looks yes but that stranglers distinctive sound that they have worked so hard to be the same is and has not changed when they want it to that is,so for me anyway the energy is the same,the sound is the same to an ever on going never broken up band.
So i like you have said am glad that the fans are enjoying themselves because whatever any of us think or say about this band the all important point is fans are enjoying the band live again for their money's worth and also with the new material too and if this band brings enjoyment to people out there in a world that's seen so much doom and gloom with for a long time not being allowed to go out and about i say well done to them for cheering people up and getting people out again on a good night out ...enjoying themselves again and enjoying their music too.
Totally agree Sir, if people still enjoy the gigs and the band seem to be relishing playing live again, they are showing a more emotional side with the sad loss of Dave, I've noticed JJ can hardly hold it together when he talks about Dave, like he said he can be himself these days and doesn't have to hide behind the hard man veneer, of course those were different times, but I'm really excited about Reading, the back was really bad earlier, but I will make a decision whether I can go tomorrow, I made need a zimmer frame though. Lt Kudu. :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

StanInBlack wrote:It's not so much a question of whether people can or can't be "fooled" and it's more either an exercise in denial as to what the current line-up actually is or clutching at straws to justify the current line-up as being anywhere close to the real deal. To my mind, it all seems to boil down to a refusal to believe that it's over, for one reason or another.
Sadly I think this is the case for some. To be fair though this tour was billed as a celebration/memory to Dave

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"