Birmingham

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Birmingham

Post by StanInBlack »

Skindeep81 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 00:26 Is he not an incredible drummer?
No, I find his playing to have a stiff rigidity to it that lacks the tight-but-loose finesse and jazz influenced touch of Jet's playing. I find his style completely unsuitable for the material he's given to play - particularly anything that deviates from a standard 4/4 beat. He's not great on the more rhythmically challenging material. I don't think he was hired for his drumming skills, though, more because he was available to do it and up for doing it and they needed someone there because Jet was in bad shape.
Skindeep81
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Skindeep81 »

Stan come on man, are you really saying they hired him just because he was available and up for it?
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

StanInBlack wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 23:48 Whether you like Baz or not I don't get the "pretending to be Hugh Cornwell" sentiment at all.
Since PR left and Baz took over the lead vocalist slot, that is pretty much what he has been trying to do to the best of his ability. He's playing a role and he's actually 'fessed up to this fact. No, he can't sing or play exactly like Hugh, but I'm sure if that were possible (which it isn't) then he would have done. Which of course tallies in nicely with what I was saying earlier: JJ will always be able to play like JJ because he is JJ. Baz could never play or sing like Hugh (no matter how hard he tries), Toby could never truly play like Dave (even if he plays Dave's parts perfectly) and Jim is definitely no Jet - therefore the end result doesn't truly (and/or accurately) sound like The Stranglers.
Baz is filling that role which was originally done by Hugh in a 4 piece band setup as singer/songwriter/guitar player.

That is not the same as Baz copying or pretending to be Hugh..
I Hate You !
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

aldinblack wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 09:34 Baz is filling that role which was originally done by Hugh in a 4 piece band setup as singer/songwriter/guitar player.

When baz is performing his own work. But for the majority of every live show, when he's performing MK 1 material, how can he not be copying Hugh?
Skindeep81
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Skindeep81 »

Alot of the time his Sunderland accent is very prominent, totally different from Hugh, he does try and add some 'bite' and 'snarls though.

He certainly gets into the spirit of Hughs vocals, but its not a carbon copy at all....
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Oh dear oh dear that's all I can say, but I will just say one thing, Jim is a fantastic drummer and he has some light touches to, about the only thing I agree on he hits his drums hard so hard it's a wonder they dont disintegrate, but thats Jim hes young and that's the way he plays, if JJ wasn't happy with him he wouldn't want him in the band, Jet will always be the master but Jim is a powerhouse and plays his heart out night after night, total respect to Jim Mac with his lumpen drumming said with a Rift Valley sense of Kudu Irony, Iook forward to his heavy lumpen drumming tomorrow, again said with a Rift Valley sense of irony, if I don't like his drumming I may have to Don by snare and take over. Lt Kudu. :smt005
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Skindeep81 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 00:38 Stan come on man, are you really saying they hired him just because he was available and up for it?
I don't recall hearing about them auditioning hordes of drummers to find a suitable replacement, do you?
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Yanders wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 09:34 Baz is filling that role which was originally done by Hugh in a 4 piece band setup as singer/songwriter/guitar player.

When baz is performing his own work. But for the majority of every live show, when he's performing MK 1 material, how can he not be copying Hugh?
Well "copying" implies that he's trying to sing and play live exactly as Hugh did live.
And I don't think he is doing that at all.
I Hate You !
strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 00:33
Skindeep81 wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 00:26 Is he not an incredible drummer?
No, I find his playing to have a stiff rigidity to it that lacks the tight-but-loose finesse and jazz influenced touch of Jet's playing. I find his style completely unsuitable for the material he's given to play - particularly anything that deviates from a standard 4/4 beat. He's not great on the more rhythmically challenging material. I don't think he was hired for his drumming skills, though, more because he was available to do it and up for doing it and they needed someone there because Jet was in bad shape.
Are you a drummer yourself Stan?
See You At The Bar
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

Well "copying" implies that he's trying to sing and play live exactly as Hugh did live.
both JJ and Baz have said that it isn't Bazs place to change anything about the tracks. Baz doesn't play exactly how Hugh would live because he isn't the same player and vocalist and has stated he cannot change anything substantial as Hugh did and does.

It's an often written on here that what people like about baz is that he's pretty faithful to the original songs. That's copying hughs original work. The fact that Hugh wouldn't play like that live is neither here nor there.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Lumpen or part of the meaning of the word is ugly and ponderous, well I would say Jim is a rather good looking chap, but if you mean his drumming which I know you do I'm doing my infamous irony, I disagree Jim himself says he will never be able to touch Jet in his groove but he doesn't try to be Jet, he keeps faithful to Jet's patterns of course as he needs to lock in with JJ, I have noticed he has put in his own touches on some old songs ie Heroes the build up to the finish, he is doing a Hi Hat lilt or something similar and yes he does use his cymbals alot more than Jet especially on Toiler and The Raven but he has to put his individual stamp on the songs, I've just done some drumming now and I would describe my poor effort as Lumpen a new word to me, but I would certainly not describe Jim Macs drumming as Lumpen, but just in case I have my sticks at the ready to show Jim how it's done. Lt Kudu :smt005
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yep. The guitar parts he plays are almost robot like copies just like on the record. Prime example I guess is the intro on Toiler.

Jim
Yanders wrote: 21 Feb 2022, 17:08
both JJ and Baz have said that it isn't Bazs place to change anything about the tracks. Baz doesn't play exactly how Hugh would live because he isn't the same player and vocalist and has stated he cannot change anything substantial as Hugh did and does.

It's an often written on here that what people like about baz is that he's pretty faithful to the original songs. That's copying hughs original work. The fact that Hugh wouldn't play like that live is neither here nor there.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"