New Killing Jokes track

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

RetroRocket
Rats Rally

New Killing Jokes track

Post by RetroRocket »

I don't think these guys are going into their dotage quietly!

After the excellent Pylon the next album sounds promising on the basis of this number!

https://youtu.be/SSVjEc5rIMc
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Re: New Killing Jokes track

Post by markorbit »

RetroRocket wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 17:03 I don't think these guys are going into their dotage quietly!

After the excellent Pylon the next album sounds promising on the basis of this number!

https://youtu.be/SSVjEc5rIMc
I adore KJ but this sounds a lazy rewrite of Virus. They are capable of better. Might improve after a few plays?
Let's Boogie
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

Yes, it's definitely grown on me ! Very quickly!
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'll give this a listen later. Are they releasing an album or an EP?
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

It' sounds like it just could have been on the Pylon album. Which isn't a bad thing but hopefully any further tracks released will sound a bit different. It's a decent production again though.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

An EP 25th March. Vinyl in September. Some nice dub mixes on the EP.

I too had expected a bit of variation/progression.

It is very much in the vein of the last 3 albums but I would like to see it opened up a bit more.
What I am pleased about is that it is a concise track and not a 6 minute overblown affair

And the drums are excellent
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

jetblacksdad wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 19:09 An EP 25th March. Vinyl in September. Some nice dub mixes on the EP.

It is very much in the vein of the last 3 albums but I would like to see it opened up a bit more.
What I am pleased about is that it is a concise track and not a 6 minute overblown affair

Do you know if there will be an album Jetblacksdad?
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Managed to get a ticket for the warm up Cheltenham gig today, was sold out in minutes. 150 capacity venue, could be a contender for gig of the year.
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

jetblacksdad wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 19:09 An EP 25th March. Vinyl in September. Some nice dub mixes on the EP.

Got to say a quick listen didn’t get me over excited and I’ve been into Killing Joke maybe not as long as quite a few around here, but years nonetheless. There’s a bit too much repetition with Killing Joke reincarnated. Of the three albums that came out under the original line up reformation “Absolute Dissent” is by far the best of the three albums they released imho, even if the studio recording wasn’t the best quality in places, that was a fantastic and absolute classic album, the following two have their moments but a bit dull in places. It would be good to hear what else Killing Joke are capable of other than the mostly wall of noise . Have to say I enjoyed Jaz Coleman’s KJ symphonic album more than the majority of “Pylon” and “MMXII”
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

jason wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 19:55

Yes. Much of it already recorded.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

jetblacksdad wrote: 12 Feb 2022, 14:01
jason wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 19:55

Yes. Much of it already recorded.
Oh great!
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I'd like their next album to be a bit more melodic but I'm not sure if that will happen!
Last edited by jason on 13 Feb 2022, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.