XTC

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: XTC

Post by jonimac »

I really liked the TC and I single.
But he released something last year that sounded a bit mediocre to me.
Likewise, Andy has a project called My failed Songwriting career, with versions of songs he has offered to others.
Again, not music to my ears.

But I live in hope of a reunion.
Looks like I’ve picked the two most stubborn bands, with little chance of a reconciliation in either!

And Pink Floyd were my most played artist last year, just to round it off!
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Didn't realise Andy had released that album I will have to check it out.

I doubt they'll reform but they sound on slightly better terms than messrs Burnel and Cornwell. Andy wished TC&I and E-XTC well and gave them his blessings.

Also, pretty sure Gregory is on Apple Venus.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Andy’s was an EP and he plans to release more. Colin’s was a single. I got both through on CD from Burning Shed, played them a few times,
And thought my wallet was £10 lighter for some pretty ordinary stuff.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jonimac wrote:Andy’s was an EP and he plans to release more. Colin’s was a single. I got both through on CD from Burning Shed, played them a few times,
And thought my wallet was £10 lighter for some pretty ordinary stuff.
That's a real shame. Some of Andy's Fuzzy Warbles stuff is great

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 22:50 I was referring more to his input, which had sadly been sidelined during the album.
His input hadn't been sidelined during the album, though. Certainly not in a playing/recording sense, anyway. Perhaps his opinions on what sort of album they should be making and his opinions on business decisions were sidelined, but he played on over half of the album before he left.

On "Easter Theatre" he plays mellotron and acoustic guitar and did some keyboard programming, on "Greenman" he plays synth as well as keyboard programming, he plays piano and did the cello charts for "Your Dictionary", he plays piano and synths on "I Can't Own Her", piano on "Harvest Festival", and on Colin's songs he plays piano, synths and mellotron on "Frivolous Tonight" (as well as sings backing vocals on it) and plays synths, acoustic & electric guitars, organ and mellotron on "Fruit Nut" ...

... he didn't play much electric guitar during the Apple Venus sessions because the songs don't really require it.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Like I said, to my ears his musical input was sidelined.

Probably Colin’s was to an extent too, as he leaned towards his “quintessentially English” type genre.

And Andy blowing the budget at Abbey Road might not have helped.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

The Disappointed is one of my all time favourite singles.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 00:34 Like I said, to my ears his musical input was sidelined.
The evidence is to the contrary, though!
jonimac wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 00:34 Probably Colin’s was to an extent too, as he leaned towards his “quintessentially English” type genre.
Colin always got a higher percentage of his songs onto XTC records than Andy did, but that's because Colin wasn't a prolific songwriter and Andy was ludicrously prolific.
jonimac wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 00:34 And Andy blowing the budget at Abbey Road might not have helped.
If we're talking financially, sure!
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jason wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 01:53 The Disappointed is one of my all time favourite singles.
Yeah, that's another good one and yet another example of a great XTC middle eight. I have days where I think Nonsuch might actually be my favourite album of theirs. I certainly think it's the best "long" record the band made, besting out both English Settlement (which was my first XTC album and the one that made me a fan) and Oranges & Lemons.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 23:51 I doubt they'll reform
I'm not sure that I'd want them to at this point. I can't help but think of the albums they could have potentially gone on to make if they hadn't fallen apart, though.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 02:08
jonimac wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 00:34 Like I said, to my ears his musical input was sidelined.

XTC Song Stories, Complicated Game, or Chalkhills.org stuff, to get some idea of Dave’s input.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I feel Stan has a point though. To my ears Greenman, Easter Theatre and a few others do sound like Dave's played a large part similar to his arrangements on Skylarking. Like yourself though this is to my (untrained) ear.

Jim
jonimac wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 09:28
StanInBlack wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 02:08

XTC Song Stories, Complicated Game, or Chalkhills.org stuff, to get some idea of Dave’s input.