XTC

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: XTC

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 10:57 I’m enjoying the new 5.1 of The Big Express at the moment.
It has definitely benefited from the Steven Wilson remix, less cluttered and clunky, and you can actually hear a lot of real drums on it, rather than the Linn drum that seemed to dominate the 1984 version.
I find it a bit hit and miss. He's fucked up "Train Running Low on Soul Coal" completely, IMO. Agree that it feels less cluttered and clunky, but the sonic overload of the original mixes is part of the character of the record, I think. As for the drums, I hear Linndrum where I've always been able to hear Linndrum and acoustic drums where I've always been able to hear acoustic drums.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

Personally I like what SW has done.
The original (which I bought day of issue in its original round cover ) is too harsh for my ears, and although it contains many great songs, I’ve never regarded it as a classic until now. The Linn drum seemed to smash the subtlety out of it.
I remember at the time a comment in Strangled about their new , silent drummer called Linn, as they (Hugh?) conducted an interview with them when the album came out.
In 1984, The Stranglers interviewing XTC was a such an affirmation of my musical tastes !

The only one I don’t like is my favourite on the album, Seagulls Screaming, where it has added nothing and somehow diminished it.
I love Train Running Low, and I Remember The Sun, and special shout out to a song I previously didn’t rate, Reign Of Blows.

I’m sure you know this already but the XTC podcast is a good place for extra info.
Here’s the one on the reissue, with the views explained so passionately that it convinced me to buy it.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/w ... 0627962374
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Still not happening but there's a certain warming to one offs or similar.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... e-reunion/

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

theraven1979 wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 10:13 Still not happening but there's a certain warming to one offs or similar.

Jim
A Friend of mine saw them @ Canterbury Odeon a few Months after The Stranglers Meninblack Tour gig in 1981.

I'm not sure what LP they were promoting but she said Andy clearly wasn't happy in front of an Audience then.

Checking their Discography it could have been The Black Sea Tour.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Can't see them ever touring again but remotely working together (which is amusing as they all live in Swindon)

Jim
Cells&Plasma wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 09:04
theraven1979 wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 10:13 Still not happening but there's a certain warming to one offs or similar.

Jim
A Friend of mine saw them @ Canterbury Odeon a few Months after The Stranglers Meninblack Tour gig in 1981.

I'm not sure what LP they were promoting but she said Andy clearly wasn't happy in front of an Audience then.

Checking their Discography it could have been The Black Sea Tour.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Did they all fall out then? It would be great to have another album by them.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah Dave Gregory walked out of the Apple Venus recording when Partridge insisted on hiring an orchestra. On top of that Colin and Andy have always been a bit frosty.

Jim
jason wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 09:46 Did they all fall out then? It would be great to have another album by them.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 10:17 Yeah Dave Gregory walked out of the Apple Venus recording when Partridge insisted on hiring an orchestra. On top of that Colin and Andy have always been a bit frosty.

Jim
jason wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 09:46 Did they all fall out then? It would be great to have another album by them.
"XTC": Chalkhills and Children https://amzn.to/3NGm9C0
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I need to re-read that!

Jim
Cells&Plasma wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 10:37
theraven1979 wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 10:17 Yeah Dave Gregory walked out of the Apple Venus recording when Partridge insisted on hiring an orchestra. On top of that Colin and Andy have always been a bit frosty.

Jim
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

theraven1979 wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 10:46 I need to re-read that!

Jim
Cells&Plasma wrote: 28 Dec 2023, 10:37

Jim

Me too!!! 😉😂 just rereading the Chapter on the Recording of Oranges and Lemons in Los Angeles and the subsequent US Radio Tour in 1989.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I find it somewhat surprising that they all live in or around Swindon but only Dave has bothered to visit the XTC mural in the centre.
Let's Boogie
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

markorbit wrote:I find it somewhat surprising that they all live in or around Swindon but only Dave has bothered to visit the XTC mural in the centre.
Or the only one that mentioned visiting it

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk