XTC

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: XTC

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 00:34 Eh, I find "War Dance" to be a really drab song which potentially works best outside of the context of the album, but within the context of the album it feels like a filler track to me. In terms of XTC's anti-war tracks, I personally don't think it gets any better than "This World Over", particularly the part where it's like: "Will you smile like any father with your children on a Sunday hike, when you get to a sea of rubble and they ask 'What was London like'?" ... really simple and powerful stuff. Plenty of people have pointed out that the track sounds a bit like The Police but for all of his commercial success and for all his pretensions, Sting just simply doesn't have it in him to write a lyric as good as that.
Not for me, but that’s ok we can’t all like the same things can we…

Yeah, I can’t really see it or hear it rather with The Police, I do believe XTC toured The States with The Police around 1980, and they apparently got on quite well together.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Just had a quick listen and I agree, 'This World Over' is in the style of The Police circa 1980. Maybe not the bass so much but it's still minimal with plenty of space.
Let's Boogie
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

I think Andy once referred to themselves as the anti-Police.
Swindon vs American/jazz/reggae combo.
This world over is a good period piece, given the political landscape at the time, and his first child on the way.

Not a fan of the song however. Bit too plodding for me, not helped by the Linn drums.
The song before it however!
Seagulls Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her. Only Andy Partridge could come up with this wonderful tune. Easily in my XTC top ten.

It even inspired a Japanese group of the same name - just as Toiler On The Sea had done.
It’s all in the seagulls!
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

markorbit wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 03:07 Just had a quick listen and I agree, 'This World Over' is in the style of The Police circa 1980. Maybe not the bass so much but it's still minimal with plenty of space.
Ghost in the Machine era? Yeah, totally. Although I think "This World Over" is far stronger than anything The Police were doing at the time - it particularly outclasses Sting's more political efforts like "Invisible Sun" etc.
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

I think Black Sea has a couple of cracking anti war tunes on it
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 12:46
markorbit wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 03:07 Just had a quick listen and I agree, 'This World Over' is in the style of The Police circa 1980. Maybe not the bass so much but it's still minimal with plenty of space.
Ghost in the Machine era? Yeah, totally. Although I think "This World Over" is far stronger than anything The Police were doing at the time - it particularly outclasses Sting's more political efforts like "Invisible Sun" etc.
More Regatta/Zenyatta to me but it's all similar.
Let's Boogie
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I need to listen to some of the older XTC albums again. I've got them all but I haven't listened to the pre Skylarking albums that much.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

“Melt the Guns” from English Settlement is another great track
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I can't get past Drums & Wires.
It really is a terrific album, and would be on my list of all time favourite albums.
I'm revisiting all their catalogue, to see if it can be challenged. But I don't think so..
I Hate You !
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

aldinblack wrote:I can't get past Drums & Wires.
It really is a terrific album, and would be on my list of all time favourite albums.
I'm revisiting all their catalogue, to see if it can be challenged. But I don't think so..
I remember getting into XTC and I'd given their later albums a first pass and wasn't impressed I remember saying to a serious xtc fan that I was into the early stuff and nothing beyond drums and they said "oh no their best stuff is their later stuff".

Subjective of course but as I got more into the back catalogue this turned out to be the case.

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jonimac

Post by jonimac »

Agreed
I’m not a particular fan of the Barry years. Odd one or two songs are ok.
But Drums and Wires is where XTC really took off for me.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Drums and Wires is where it all really begins (I think that's the general consensus, but it's definitely the case for me) but as great as Drums and Wires is, it feels like a light snack compared to the banquets that would follow.