Brixton 5th Feb.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Brixton 5th Feb.

Post by RetroRocket »

This has at last come around!

I originally bought the ticket when Dave was still with us, and had decided then that it would be my last stranglers gig. That's still my thinking, not because of the is it / is it not the stranglers debate ( I really like much of DM), but after more than 40 years of seeing them live and Dave no longer there it feels even more right for me to end now. So it will be an especially emotional gig for me...please be kind to the middle aged man clad in black gently sobbing!

I do hope they play the Raven, my favourite ever stranglers track which has some of Daves most sublime playing....but I'll immerse myself in the whole gig whatever.

On a related note, I'm also seeing Hugh at the Dover booking hall on the 10th March! A new venue for me as I recently moved to this part of Kent. I've only seen him a few times live, i do really like Monsters so looking forward to that. This will probably be my last Hugh gig too!

RR
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Brixton 5th Feb.

Post by aldinblack »

Hope you enjoy your final gigs. Everything has to stop sometime.
I too will be at Brixton, and possibly Cambridge.
I'm not really a festival goer so that could be my last too, and if so it would be a good place to stop.
I can't see the band carrying on with these tours any more, although if they do then I could be tempted I guess...
Who knows how long Hugh will keep going, he's getting on as well. Probably one more album /tour is my guess...
I Hate You !
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

aldinblack wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 11:18 Who knows how long Hugh will keep going, he's getting on as well.
I'm considering seeing him in March, as I haven't seen him since he left the band. Not sure at the moment, though.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

droopsnoot wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 11:18 Who knows how long Hugh will keep going, he's getting on as well.
I'm considering seeing him in March, as I haven't seen him since he left the band. Not sure at the moment, though.
Definitely would recommend you go while you can. I've always enjoyed seeing Hugh live.

Personally I prefer his own stuff.
I don't dislike his Stranglers renditions, I find they're OK but his own stuff is great live. Assuming you like his albums that is.
I'm talking about his full electric gigs here.
His accoustic shows are nice enough though..
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

aldinblack wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 14:33 Personally I prefer his own stuff.
I don't dislike his Stranglers renditions, I find they're OK but his own stuff is great live.
I think Hugh does Stranglers songs very well (his rendition of "Bear Cage" is sublime, I think) but I kinda agree. I would rather see Hugh playing mostly (if not entire sets of) his solo work, simply because you can tell that he enjoys playing that material more. It's fresher to him.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 15:19
I don't dislike his Stranglers renditions, I find they're OK but his own stuff is great live.
I think Hugh does Stranglers songs very well (his rendition of "Bear Cage" is sublime, I think) but I kinda agree. I would rather see Hugh playing mostly (if not entire sets of) his solo work, simply because you can tell that he enjoys playing that material more. It's fresher to him.
Must admit that The Stranglers songs that Hugh does I am not impressed at all .The versions live seem lifeless and dull , just my take on it however and this is from YouTube .I really don't think I would go to a Hugh show .
All quiet ..........
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I got the hump and turned my back on him when he left in 1990. I then managed to catch him at a free show in 96 or 97 at HMV and I thought he was pretty good. Good to hear those vocals live again. Since then I've been very impressed with both his recorded output and his live performances.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 15:43
StanInBlack wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 15:19
Must admit that The Stranglers songs that Hugh does I am not impressed at all .The versions live seem lifeless and dull , just my take on it however and this is from YouTube .I really don't think I would go to a Hugh show .
Some of the old Stranglers songs work with Hugh live and some don't, to be honest I prefer him acoustic these days. Lt Kudu.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

I've always gone to see Hugh live and will continue to do so. I did stop going to see the Stranglers for a few years as I wasn't a fan of Paul live.

For me, Hugh has done a good job adapting some Stranglers songs to suit a 3 piece.
Manc In Black
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Manc In Black »

Never heard you talk about that before.
Would make a whole night topic at one of the RI sesh's.
theraven1979 wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 16:04 I got the hump and turned my back on him when he left in 1990. I then managed to catch him at a free show in 96 or 97 at HMV and I thought he was pretty good. Good to hear those vocals live again. Since then I've been very impressed with both his recorded output and his live performances.

Jim
on on on on
Established 11 September 1974
redinblack62
SHAKESPEARO

Post by redinblack62 »

I've seen Hughie quite a few times over the years, last time at The Brudenell pre lockdowns, always enjoy his shows, and would agree that he seems to enjoy playing his own stuff more.
Thats Really Not Cool
giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by giants »

Not seen hugh live for age's' last time I saw him live think it was in Widnes? Nice blonde girl in the band. Albums Love Black Hair' black eyes' black suit- First bus to babylon- Hi-fi. Just can't get into his solo stuff after those 3. I just don't rate Monster at all. I think its the stripped back production' I'm a fan of big production. Wish him well but I think he became very grumpy and lost his way a bit. Oh I must mention my fav hugh track The Story of he and she' absolute Classic with polished clean cut production.