Brixton 5th Feb.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Brixton 5th Feb.

Post by aldinblack »

I was at the gig last night, which was my first Stranglers gig since Nov 2019(France).
I nearly cried when they came on, just to see someone else in Dave's place brought tears to my eyes.
I felt quite sad for the first couple of songs, just watching them play with only JJ still there.
It took me a while to get into it. I can't fault Toby's playing though, or the performance on the whole.
My highlights were Don't Bring Harry, probably cause its been a while.., and
the Dave tribute song.
Can't fault any of it, but not sure how I feel about it still..I guess it'll take some getting used to..
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

aldinblack wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 15:29 I was at the gig last night, which was my first Stranglers gig since Nov 2019(France).
I nearly cried when they came on, just to see someone else in Dave's place brought tears to my eyes.
I felt quite sad for the first couple of songs, just watching them play with only JJ still there.
It took me a while to get into it. I can't fault Toby's playing though, or the performance on the whole.
My highlights were Don't Bring Harry, probably cause its been a while.., and
the Dave tribute song.
Can't fault any of it, but not sure how I feel about it still..I guess it'll take some getting used to..
I understand how you feel, Dave was so loved by the fans, but Toby is doing Dave Proud, thats the way I see it. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Just watched Toby's solo work on Walk on By good effect but does make me think of Dave and how much he will always missed,but never the less this tour has been a good celebration to the great man.
RetroRocket
Rats Rally

Post by RetroRocket »

Yes. A very slick and professional show, hard to fault it. A great tribute to Dave. The only number I thought was weak, a bit lacklustre was White Stallion. Maybe they need to speed up the backing tracks a bit to give more of a live feel, I think ultravox used to do that!

It was the clearest sound I've heard from the band for a long while, I guess this relates the the no amps conversation on another thread.

Welll...that was my last live Stranglers show, a good place to end for me. I first saw them in 1979 at the Rainbow!

I wish them every ongoing success, and I will always be very interested in their output and whatever they are doing.

Next gig is Hugh in March, again I think will be the last time I will see him.