This current Stranglers is still The Stranglers.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: This current Stranglers is still The Stranglers.

Post by strangledinAuch »

When Hugh left the band I had the same attitude as Stan,for over 20 years,that was it,the Stranglers was done
And that was only with Hugh leaving!
I have a brother who also a member of the familyinblack,but he stuck with them,through thick and thin
We had many discussions about it,I was always a Hugh man,my brother was always a JJ man
So although we were playing for the same team,there was always something niggling away when it came to the Stranglers
The Roberts era was not for me and I have no regrets about that
About 8 years ago the Stranglers were going to play in Toulouse, about an hour away from me
My brother said 'you should go,it's different now with Baz'
I did go and that was it,I was back in the fold
With Dave's passing and all the covid shit,the chance to see them,probably for the last time,I wasn't going to let it pass by
Baz and Jim have been in the Stranglers for so long,really it felt like only Dave was missing
Obviously a massive hole in the band,but you know,life is for the living
I've seen Deep Purple,without Lord and Blackmore and had the same feeling,I was seeing Deep Purple
Now,I'm very much a JJ man and so grateful to him for keeping the Stranglers going
Long live The Stranglers!
See You At The Bar
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

strangledinAuch wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 18:03 When Hugh left the band I had the same attitude as Stan,for over 20 years,that was it,the Stranglers was done
And that was only with Hugh leaving!
I have a brother who also a member of the familyinblack,but he stuck with them,through thick and thin
We had many discussions about it,I was always a Hugh man,my brother was always a JJ man
So although we were playing for the same team,there was always something niggling away when it came to the Stranglers
The Roberts era was not for me and I have no regrets about that
About 8 years ago the Stranglers were going to play in Toulouse, about an hour away from me
My brother said 'you should go,it's different now with Baz'
I did go and that was it,I was back in the fold
With Dave's passing and all the covid shit,the chance to see them,probably for the last time,I wasn't going to let it pass by
Baz and Jim have been in the Stranglers for so long,really it felt like only Dave was missing
Obviously a massive hole in the band,but you know,life is for the living
I've seen Deep Purple,without Lord and Blackmore and had the same feeling,I was seeing Deep Purple
Now,I'm very much a JJ man and so grateful to him for keeping the Stranglers going
Long live The Stranglers!
Great post i enjoyed the read.
jeromeinparis
Down In The Sewer

Post by jeromeinparis »

I don't care about all these stories of the Stranglers are better when there was Hugh, with Paul, without Paul, Toby is not a Strangler, MKI, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII etc..., the post Hugh albums are bad, etc...

I loved Dark Matters as rarely a Stranglers album since 1990, I loved seeing them in November in Valenciennes, I love going to see them in concert, I tell myself every day that we are lucky to continue to listen to their new titles and to buy tickets and to go with friends in concert and drink beers and spend good time in black. I'm always excited as I'm 18.

My new 2020s Stranglers are the Fonntaines DC.

Kisses
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jeromeinparis wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 19:14 I don't care about all these stories of the Stranglers are better when there was Hugh, with Paul, without Paul, Toby is not a Strangler, MKI, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII etc..., the post Hugh albums are bad, etc...

I loved Dark Matters as rarely a Stranglers album since 1990, I loved seeing them in November in Valenciennes, I love going to see them in concert, I tell myself every day that we are lucky to continue to listen to their new titles and to buy tickets and to go with friends in concert and drink beers and spend good time in black. I'm always excited as I'm 18.

My new 2020s Stranglers are the Fonntaines DC.

Kisses
So nice to have a positive post, it just gets fucking boring all the negative comments about the current lineup by some, love your positive post. Yes and I am still playing Dark Matters daily,White Stallion is as good as anything they have ever done IMHO and that goes for Water, Breathe and a few others. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

BankMan wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 10:09 I think this is spot on for a lot, if not the majority of the current fan base, not just some of them. And - in their eyes- the credibility and authenticity comes from the fact that all new members of the band post Hugh have been appointed and annointed by the three original members still left in the band. The only exception to this of course is Toby and I suspect that is why the Pam statement came out
Indeed. The problem with looking at it that way - of course - is that it doesn't take into account how the actual musical chemistry of The Stranglers works. It has to be four specific individuals to create that exact Stranglers sound. Eventually through change, that chemistry gets diluted. Jet being replaced by Jim in hindsight was the change too far, this current line-up is beyond even that. If people are happy to pay money to see the current line-up and convince themselves they're seeing The Stranglers because that's what it says on the ticket, then of course that's on them. I'll never be convinced that this current line-up is The Stranglers at all.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 12:26 Final time I shall say this
I believe you :roll:
Halifax Linda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Halifax Linda »

What’s wrong with Jim?
Why is it a stretch too far?
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 22:33 is that it doesn't take into account how the actual musical chemistry of The Stranglers works. It has to be four specific individuals to create that exact Stranglers sound. Eventually through change, that chemistry gets diluted.
I think its more of a evolution that a dilution ? We defiantly do not hear on new material the "typical" edgy Hugh guitar work that was a large part of MKI. We probably will not get that precise Jazz drum handling that Jet had on new material. We definitely will not get similar keyboard work to Dave on new material in the future. It is something different and is definitely not Hugh, JJ, Jet and Dave. But is it The Stranglers ?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

alaninblack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 04:34 I think its more of a evolution that a dilution ?
I disagree, if only because the term "evolution" implies that something improves and/or gets stronger or more potent, and I don't think any of the post-Hugh line-ups (let alone this current one) are an improvement on MKI. I'm sure that there are some out there that consider the current line-up to be "even better than the real thing" (as Bono once sang) but I disagree with that completely, not to mention it's an insult to the legacy of the classic line-up. Give me the real thing any day of the week, even though they only exist on record.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

alaninblack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 04:34 We definitely will not get similar keyboard work to Dave on new material in the future.
I wouldn't rule that out. A good musician (which Toby obviously is) could bring peak Dave (Raven, MIB) back into the fold if he's tuned in enough. He does seem to be more boogie-woogie than synth though. We'll see but it's possible.
Let's Boogie
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Stan is making this difficult for me, I promised I wouldn't say anymore on this, but every time I read Stans post he makes me want to say more, but I will resist. Lt Kudu. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

There has been in my opinion only nothing wrong with Jim being the one taking over from Jet,Jet is Jet that we will always respect and not forgetting was the founder member too so without Jet there wouldn't be band today for sure who he seems more than happy himself for them to carry on still who as a drummer was as good as it got back in the day that helped make them be the band they were and are which for me has never been in question or shall it be.
But with a band that has been going this long which now seem's a life time i do i still feel lucky being able to still support and enjoy this band's music after such a long time, members will always come and go and some sadly can no longer continue on due to health reasons so the band either just stopped and folded at such times or continued on with the great music that they have produced and with the gigs after such times to the much enjoyment still of the majority of fans which they have done and at times very well too.
Jim has done a great job starting out as a fill but now permanently because Jet could no longer continue on to play.
An all important factor for me is that i feel the band have got right on the whole since departures over the years and that's they have continued on in The Stranglers way of things with tradition and no altering to their overall classic sound of theirs which is how their fans would only want it to be like also. I think they have tried hard to stay true with that all crucial stranglers style and sound as i see it maybe others may disagree which is fair enough.
The band has been a continuous brand name with JJ & Co deciding to continue on playing for the for the time being and for as long as they see fit and right i'm guessing with both band and fans still on the whole very happy with that being the case,so good luck to them i say for as long as they want to keep it going for a living and giving the old and new fans enjoyment still with both material and as a live act.