This current Stranglers is still The Stranglers.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Re: This current Stranglers is still The Stranglers.

Post by Ruby »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:28
I don't rate Jim as a drummer, no. I find his playing really lumpen and his style far too heavy-handed for The Stranglers.
I thought it wasn't the Stranglers ? Make your mind up.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 11:02 I think you've replied to the wrong comment Kudu. The one you have replied to is concerning Hugh's drummers.

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 10:58
StanInBlack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:44

This is one thing that I love about the majority of Hugh's records, he fully understands the importance of having a great drummer on his material. Lots of Hugh's stuff is quite rhythmically propulsive, particularly on the Guilty and Totem & Taboo albums. He's always went out of his way to work with great drummers. Aside from Monster of course, but the approach on that record doesn't ruin it.
Well with all respect JJ who locks in with Jim seems happy with him, Jet rates him, I would say that says it all. Maybe you should give Jim a few lessons of how to play just like Jet? And I am a huge fan of Jet's drumming and I rate him, so you seem to be a minority but I respect your opinion. Jim plays his heart out night after night. Lt Kudu. 🥁
Oh yes sorry well I'm sure Stan will read it, I just don't get why he is so negative towards Jim Mac.Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 10:58 Maybe you should give Jim a few lessons of how to play just like Jet?
You're talking about something that can't be taught.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I don't think he is. I mean it helps if you can reply to the relevant quote from Stan.

Jim

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 16:32
theraven1979 wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 11:02 I think you've replied to the wrong comment Kudu. The one you have replied to is concerning Hugh's drummers.

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 10:58

Well with all respect JJ who locks in with Jim seems happy with him, Jet rates him, I would say that says it all. Maybe you should give Jim a few lessons of how to play just like Jet? And I am a huge fan of Jet's drumming and I rate him, so you seem to be a minority but I respect your opinion. Jim plays his heart out night after night. Lt Kudu. 🥁
Oh yes sorry well I'm sure Stan will read it, I just don't get why he is so negative towards Jim Mac.Lt Kudu.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

theraven1979 wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 16:52 I don't think he is. I mean it helps if you can reply to the relevant quote from Stan.

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 16:32 I just don't get why he is so negative towards Jim Mac.Lt Kudu.
To be fair, this is quite negative:
StanInBlack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:28 I don't rate Jim as a drummer, no. I find his playing really lumpen and his style far too heavy-handed for The Stranglers.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Ruby wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 12:33
I don't rate Jim as a drummer, no. I find his playing really lumpen and his style far too heavy-handed for The Stranglers.
I thought it wasn't the Stranglers ? Make your mind up.
I was referring to Jim's playing on the older material. I don't think I could be accused of having a windswept mind regarding the current line-up.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah it's critical but I don't think Kudu was referring to that. In fact he wasn't as that was written after the fact.

Jim
droopsnoot wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 17:00
To be fair, this is quite negative:
StanInBlack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:28 I don't rate Jim as a drummer, no. I find his playing really lumpen and his style far too heavy-handed for The Stranglers.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

OK I have seen hundreds of drummers over the years and I highly rate Jim Macs drumming, of course he comes from a different era to Jet and hits the drums hard, but IMHO he is the best drummer they could have other than Jet, Jim does some very subtle Hi Hat lilts in some of the songs and puts his own small touches in the older songs, of course Jet was a special drummer when playing, but I really think Jim does Jet and the band proud,he also fits in to. I'm huge fan of Jet's drumming style so I scrutinise Jim's drumming, If I thought he wasn't the man for the job I would say, and having seen him live on average about 3 or 4 times a year since 2012,I give him my seal of approval, I'm sure he would be pleased. :smt005 Lt Kudu.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

theraven1979 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:08Stan, surely that's enough for you?
I don't rate Jim as a drummer, no. I find his playing really lumpen and his style far too heavy-handed for The Stranglers. Dark Matters threw into sharp relief just how vital and irreplaceable a component of The Stranglers' sound Jet was/is.
Jim is a different drummer for sure he's a damn good one but I think jet has a very different style, relaxed, set back and you can tell he is a jazz drummer. Jim is more upfront. I think lumpen is a bit harsh but I do notice a difference in his drumming now that Toby is on the keys. Both are more direct players where as Jet and Dave locked into a groove more. Plus jet and Dave had 35 years or more of playing together
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 19:06
theraven1979 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:08Stan, surely that's enough for you?
I don't rate Jim as a drummer, no. I find his playing really lumpen and his style far too heavy-handed for The Stranglers. Dark Matters threw into sharp relief just how vital and irreplaceable a component of The Stranglers' sound Jet was/is.
Jim is a different drummer for sure he's a damn good one but I think jet has a very different style, relaxed, set back and you can tell he is a jazz drummer. Jim is more upfront. I think lumpen is a bit harsh but I do notice a difference in his drumming now that Toby is on the keys. Both are more direct players where as Jet and Dave locked into a groove more. Plus jet and Dave had 35 years or more of playing together
I've read all posts here and this is the one that for me has it spot on,i think you you've summed it up as it is and how i see it too well said.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I have noticed a difference with the drumming also since the arrival of Toby i agree and that's not being critical but a difference as i'm a big Jim fan,i also think there is clearly a noticeable difference between the two drummers with Jet's more laid back style where Jim is more of a full on harder hitting drummer and a bloody good one at that and as only one fan's worth is more than happy with what he has done and given this band over a decade's worth, Jim for me has lost none of the bands tradition and sound and i wouldn't of wanted anyone else,Jet's happy,JJ's happy and on the whole the fans are too and apart from anything i do wonder just what having had another drummer in instead of Jim would of offered,bettered or in general improved this band's overall sound that jim hasn't been doing for the past 10 years out of curiosity? I think he's a long serving pro who has studied and worked on staying very true to the stranglers sound bringing in specific drum equipment to give him that '70's sound that's needed for this bands sound as he has openly said and described on record himself.
The band tbh with only JJ left from MK1 has for me still kept that classic style and sound of old who are all very good musician's individually of their craft and as a unit staying true to what was once was.I find their energy incredible that has if anything stepped up a gear since Toby's arrival who seem to all feed off each other very well.Their overall live sound is sharp,tight and very clear especially individually i've noticed and i as only one fan has been very impressed with both the French and UK tour in both sound and reviews .
Last edited by toilerinblack on 11 Feb 2022, 23:01, edited 20 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 18:09 he is the best drummer they could have other than Jet
Hmmyeah, I don't agree with this at all. I think the only considerations when it came to recruiting Jim is that he was available and willing to do it. I don't think "suitability" came into it at all.