This current Stranglers is still The Stranglers.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: This current Stranglers is still The Stranglers.

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 14:09 There has been in my opinion only nothing wrong with Jim being the one taking over from Jet,Jet is Jet that we will always respect and not forgetting was the founder member too so without Jet there wouldn't be band today for sure who he seems more than happy himself for them to carry on still who as a drummer was as good as it got back in the day that helped make them be the band they were and are which for me has never been in question or shall it be.
But with a band that has been going this long which now seem's a life time i do i still feel lucky being able to still support and enjoy this band's music after such a long time, members will always come and go and some sadly can no longer continue on due to health reasons so the band either just stopped and folded at such times or continued on with the great music that they have produced and with the gigs after such times to the much enjoyment still of the majority of fans which they have done and at times very well too.
Jim has done a great job starting out as a fill but now permanently because Jet could no longer continue on to play.
An all important factor for me is that i feel the band have got right on the whole since departures over the years and that's they have continued on in The Stranglers way of things with tradition and no altering to their overall classic sound of theirs which is how their fans would only want it to be like also. I think they have tried hard to stay true with that all crucial stranglers style and sound as i see it maybe others may disagree which is fair enough.
The band has been a continuous brand name with JJ & Co deciding to continue on playing for the for the time being and for as long as they see fit and right i'm guessing with both band and fans still on the whole very happy with that being the case,so good luck to them i say for as long as they want to keep it going for a living and giving the old and new fans enjoyment still with both material and as a live act.
Totally agree Sir, and Jim is a fantastic drummer I should know as I've played most of Jet's patterns over the years and some are really tricky but Jim is a tour de force in the skins, no drug references intended. Lt Jama.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Yeah great - Chris Bell and Windsor are also a "tour de force in the skins" as you put it

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 16:20
toilerinblack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 14:09 There has been in my opinion only nothing wrong with Jim being the one taking over from Jet,Jet is Jet that we will always respect and not forgetting was the founder member too so without Jet there wouldn't be band today for sure who he seems more than happy himself for them to carry on still who as a drummer was as good as it got back in the day that helped make them be the band they were and are which for me has never been in question or shall it be.
But with a band that has been going this long which now seem's a life time i do i still feel lucky being able to still support and enjoy this band's music after such a long time, members will always come and go and some sadly can no longer continue on due to health reasons so the band either just stopped and folded at such times or continued on with the great music that they have produced and with the gigs after such times to the much enjoyment still of the majority of fans which they have done and at times very well too.
Jim has done a great job starting out as a fill but now permanently because Jet could no longer continue on to play.
An all important factor for me is that i feel the band have got right on the whole since departures over the years and that's they have continued on in The Stranglers way of things with tradition and no altering to their overall classic sound of theirs which is how their fans would only want it to be like also. I think they have tried hard to stay true with that all crucial stranglers style and sound as i see it maybe others may disagree which is fair enough.
The band has been a continuous brand name with JJ & Co deciding to continue on playing for the for the time being and for as long as they see fit and right i'm guessing with both band and fans still on the whole very happy with that being the case,so good luck to them i say for as long as they want to keep it going for a living and giving the old and new fans enjoyment still with both material and as a live act.
Totally agree Sir, and Jim is a fantastic drummer I should know as I've played most of Jet's patterns over the years and some are really tricky but Jim is a tour de force in the skins, no drug references intended. Lt Jama.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Yes Jim Hugh's had some good drummers too i agree,what i'm just trying to say like many on here i think on the whole they've done ok post '90 and yes they can't be the same as the original four not that i think they've tried to that in the slightest post '90 getting in Paul and john certainly proved that to be the case for sure and with their first follow up with In The Night after Hugh you couldn't get away any further than what they were doing apart from
Time To Die which was and is just a fine piece of musical work for sure and i still think it about that track, i would of loved it as an MK1 track for sure.Anyway they've done well and like you have said it's all about one's choice at the end of the day....you can please all of the people some of the time...but you can't please all of the people all of the time!
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

It is what it is.It's in the eye of the beholder whether it's the Stranglers or not.Why anyone not interested yet still posts on the subject day in day out on a regular basis, ad infinitum, beats me.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

I have a mate who is world class pro drummer, awards winner, etc.

He really rates Jim, as well as saying he is a top guy.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jonimac wrote:

Stan, surely that's enough for you?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:08Stan, surely that's enough for you?
I don't rate Jim as a drummer, no. I find his playing really lumpen and his style far too heavy-handed for The Stranglers. Dark Matters threw into sharp relief just how vital and irreplaceable a component of The Stranglers' sound Jet was/is.
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jonimac »

theraven1979 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:08
jonimac wrote:

Jim

:grin: :lol:

It could never be that easy
Last edited by jonimac on 10 Feb 2022, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jonimac wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:08
jonimac wrote: I have a mate who is world class pro drummer, awards winner, etc.

Jim

:grin: Image Image
Apologies I couldn't resist. I do rate Jim for the record.

Jim

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 16:28 Yeah great - Chris Bell and Windsor are also a "tour de force in the skins" as you put it
This is one thing that I love about the majority of Hugh's records, he fully understands the importance of having a great drummer on his material. Lots of Hugh's stuff is quite rhythmically propulsive, particularly on the Guilty and Totem & Taboo albums. He's always went out of his way to work with great drummers. Aside from Monster of course, but the approach on that record doesn't ruin it.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:44
theraven1979 wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 16:28 Yeah great - Chris Bell and Windsor are also a "tour de force in the skins" as you put it
This is one thing that I love about the majority of Hugh's records, he fully understands the importance of having a great drummer on his material. Lots of Hugh's stuff is quite rhythmically propulsive, particularly on the Guilty and Totem & Taboo albums. He's always went out of his way to work with great drummers. Aside from Monster of course, but the approach on that record doesn't ruin it.
Well with all respect JJ who locks in with Jim seems happy with him, Jet rates him, I would say that says it all. Maybe you should give Jim a few lessons of how to play just like Jet? And I am a huge fan of Jet's drumming and I rate him, so you seem to be a minority but I respect your opinion. Jim plays his heart out night after night. Lt Kudu. 🥁
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think you've replied to the wrong comment Kudu. The one you have replied to is concerning Hugh's drummers.

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 10:58
StanInBlack wrote: 10 Feb 2022, 21:44
Well with all respect JJ who locks in with Jim seems happy with him, Jet rates him, I would say that says it all. Maybe you should give Jim a few lessons of how to play just like Jet? And I am a huge fan of Jet's drumming and I rate him, so you seem to be a minority but I respect your opinion. Jim plays his heart out night after night. Lt Kudu. 🥁