Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by theraven1979 »

Bear Cage wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:43
jem750 wrote: Well aware of that, setlist generally changes very little, but for somebody has no interest in seeing them live why are you so interested? Image
This is like the if a tree falls in a forest and Stan isn't there does it make a noise?! Image

Clearly Stan doesn't need to be there to know that the setlist is changing very slightly by 1 or 2 songs at best

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Which is EXACTLY what JJ said, he didn’t say they change the whole set every night, but they liked to vary things and change one or two songs each night (which is more variation than most other bands).
Listen to yourself. Why did he call that out in interviews? Most bands wouldn't bother mentioning it.

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:42 Hugh never use to play Stranglers songs but then he did
Yes, and?
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:42 and changed his logo to look like The Stranglers
Hugh doesn't have a logo. He's used the same font on occasion (and not as much as people like to claim either) but again, so what? Hugh had a lot to do with building The Stranglers' brand, so he has every right to draw attention to the fact that he was in the band, which leads me to...
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:42 and his promotion is as lead singer and songwriter from The Stranglers
He was the original lead singer and main songwriter in The Stranglers. This is fact. It's worth pointing out that this isn't the same as actually calling yourself "The Stranglers" (which he would probably have every right to do at this point) but that's so obvious that I'm sure you knew that.
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:45
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:37 Well aware of that, setlist generally changes very little, but for somebody has no interest in seeing them live why are you so interested? 🤔
So not only do you agree with me but you feel the need to ask me the same question twice. The answer hasn't changed. Unless your question is "why do you read JJ Burnel interviews?" which I think is a question that answers itself.
Nope sorry asked only once and not read any JJ interviews recently! Anyway really looking forward to seeing The Stranglers on Saturday and Hugh with his band in April 🤠
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

jem750 wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:45
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:37 Well aware of that, setlist generally changes very little, but for somebody has no interest in seeing them live why are you so interested? Image
So not only do you agree with me but you feel the need to ask me the same question twice. The answer hasn't changed. Unless your question is "why do you read JJ Burnel interviews?" which I think is a question that answers itself.
Nope sorry asked only once and not read any JJ interviews recently! Anyway really looking forward to seeing The Stranglers on Saturday and Hugh with his band in April Image
Just don't mention the setlist Stan Image

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:53 Regardless of how emphatically you present your well trodden view, it’s simply one bloke’s take on it, no more.
Fill your boots, for whatever buzz you seem intent on getting, but just accept other views are different and just as valid.
So, your first point is that someone's opinion is an opinion. Well observed.

Your second point is basically what I was saying earlier when I said that people who dislike the current line-up or new material should be allowed to voice their opinion.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:34 JJ plays the riff at the start, the keys do the bass until later in song where JJ plays as usual, on the album he's playing Bass the whole song, the album version has Dave doing that Keyboard bass sound and Louie added extra bits, I think JJ isn't playing Bass until later on the live version as he's try to connect with the audience, if he was playing the bass, he couldn't do it or that expression with his arms. Lt Kudu.
Perhaps you have inside information (see what I did there?) but the recorded bass on the album seems more like a Louie thing to me rather than Dave.

I was very surprised to see JJ not play that live but perhaps it's one of those where the vocals and the bass are difficult to do simultaneously. Oh and I suspect the live version has it on backing track along with loads of other stuff.
Let's Boogie
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:01 Just don't mention the setlist Stan Image
Spoiler alert: it's the greatest hits :lol:
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:56
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:42 Hugh never use to play Stranglers songs but then he did
Yes, and?
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:42 and changed his logo to look like The Stranglers
Hugh doesn't have a logo. He's used the same font on occasion (and not as much as people like to claim either) but again, so what? Hugh had a lot to do with building The Stranglers' brand, so he has every right to draw attention to the fact that he was in the band, which leads me to...
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:42 and his promotion is as lead singer and songwriter from The Stranglers
He was the original lead singer and main songwriter in The Stranglers. This is fact. It's worth pointing out that this isn't the same as actually calling yourself "The Stranglers" (which he would probably have every right to do at this point) but that's so obvious that I'm sure you lnew that.
So please enlighten me or JJ for that matter, at exactly what point should he have dropped The Stranglers name? It’s sad that its not the same 4 that i first saw in 1980 but this is 2022, that would be impossible. We are where we are and it is what it is and “The Stranglers” continue to be a fantastic live act and attract big audiences, much more than Hugh but does it really matter?
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

StanInBlack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:04
theraven1979 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:01 Just don't mention the setlist Stan Image
Spoiler alert: it's the greatest hits :lol:
Oh Fuck you’re telling me Hugh’s only playing his greatest hits! 🤣
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

markorbit wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:02 I was very surprised to see JJ not play that live but perhaps it's one of those where the vocals and the bass are difficult to do simultaneously.
Eh, it doesn't strike me as being the sort of thing that JJ would have any problem playing while singing. There's a few songs that JJ doesn't struggle with that seem far more difficult on that front.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:09 Oh Fuck you’re telling me Hugh’s only playing his greatest hits! 🤣
For clarification, I was referring to JJ Burnel and Friends' set (and given that it was me that made the post, I would know what I intended) ... as for Hugh's set, it'll be 50% Stranglers classics and 50% solo material as has been his M.O. for a while.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

StanInBlack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:10 Eh, it doesn't strike me as being the sort of thing that JJ would have any problem playing while singing. There's a few songs that JJ doesn't struggle with that seem far more difficult on that front.
Are you a bass player and vocalist Stan? Some things are just like that. Which songs sound difficult to you?
Let's Boogie