Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by Frederik »

StanInBlack wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 17:28 I saw the clip of them playing "Always the Sun" from last night and was stunned by how lacklustre it was.
60000 tickets sold - most of those won't be seeing them live again as it's the last big tour.

Was it a warm up gig? May be they're not trying too hard, or perhaps it was a bit too cold.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Shush this is serious
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

They did exactly and so beautifully the sort of tribute i wanted them to give Dave...It sure wasn't easy for JJ and Baz but so beautifully done for Dave...They did him proud well done to the both of you.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Frederik wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 20:32 Was it a warm up gig? May be they're not trying too hard, or perhaps it was a bit too cold.
Well, it's certainly not been promoted as a "warm up gig", and they couldn't be too rusty - not if they've been rehearsing, plus they did play those French dates a couple of months ago. It genuinely felt like the spark that I'd associate with the Stranglers brand was absent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Crlr5IHAc
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 22:03 They did exactly and so beautifully the sort of tribute i wanted them to give Dave...It sure wasn't easy for JJ and Baz but so beautifully done for Dave...They did him proud well done to the both of you.
The performance of "And if You Should See Dave..." to me is what JJ & Baz should be aiming for at the moment. If they really do enjoy each others company and enjoy writing songs together, why not establish themselves as a songwriting unit and as a duo and play acoustically like that? That would be far more credible than calling themselves The Stranglers.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

This was the first time they had played in front of a home crowd in the UK without Dave so this for me wasn't going to be an easy gig for them to do for sure where JJ showed emotion in front of a crowd on chairs playing The Dave song just the two of them without any percussion or backing must of been the hardest thing for the two of them to do for sure and credit to them i'm sure the audience felt it and appreciated what they did for Dave their former band mate and long term friend,that for me was a beautiful tribute and a celebration with their fans for Dave and they did that very well indeed i feel.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 26 Jan 2022, 22:36, edited 3 times in total.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Some lovely guitar from Baz and nice vocals from both of them. Cheers Arthur. I am off to see them on Monday. Still can't believe that I have been seeing them for over 40 years. Big impression they have made for me over the years.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais81 wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 22:54
Some lovely guitar from Baz and nice vocals from both of them. Cheers Arthur. I am off to see them on Monday. Still can't believe that I have been seeing them for over 40 years. Big impression they have made for me over the years.
Yes i too thought their guitar's on Dave was beautiful seeing both on an 6 string electric was a nice touch too it worked very nicely together.Baz's lead intor to Dave song sounded amazing i enjoyed hearing both their guitar work together there was a lovely blend.
kenl
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by kenl »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 22:57
Palais81 wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 22:54
Yes i too thought their guitar's on Dave was beautiful seeing both on an 6 string electric was a nice touch too it worked very nicely together.Baz's lead intor to Dave song sounded amazing i enjoyed hearing both their guitar work together there was a lovely blend.
Looking forward to Friday...
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Does anyone have the full set list yet?
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

toilerinblack wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 00:37 Does anyone have the full set list yet?
I saw it yesterday on one of the FB groups. A few welcome surprises.
Let's Boogie
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Don't hear much wrong with that ATS to be honest (apart from the pitch bend synth at the start) but it's never been one of my favs. Interesting that I also liked the version of Golden Brown that surfaced from the French tour that others thought lacklustre. I was more interested in who was going to do Dave's AAAH's in the solo. Think in the end it was a choir sound on the keys.
Let's Boogie