Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:02
jonimac wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:53 Regardless of how emphatically you present your well trodden view, it’s simply one bloke’s take on it, no more.
Fill your boots, for whatever buzz you seem intent on getting, but just accept other views are different and just as valid.
So, your first point is that someone's opinion is an opinion. Well observed.

Your second point is basically what I was saying earlier when I said that people who dislike the current line-up or new material should be allowed to voice their opinion.
Absolutely they should voice their opinion. But when they stalk the forum looking for posts that they can respond to, essentially just repeating the same thing, what value their opinion?
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:05 So please enlighten me or JJ for that matter, at exactly what point should he have dropped The Stranglers name?
I pretty much answered this question a couple of pages ago, but in a nutshell...

In a perfect world, the band would have called it a day after the Dreamtime album and tour and avoided making a relatively lacklustre final album. The most credible option would have been to end after Hugh left and preserve everything that was special about the band. Failing that, either when Jet retired or when Dave passed away. Three original members? Fine. One original member? Nah.
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:56
jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:42 Hugh never use to play Stranglers songs but then he did
Yes, and?

Because he set off thinking he would be the next Sting/Paul Weller but clearly it didn’t work out so he started playing the songs that made him

jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:42 and changed his logo to look like The Stranglers
Hugh doesn't have a logo. He's used the same font on occasion (and not as much as people like to claim either) but again, so what? Hugh had a lot to do with building The Stranglers' brand, so he has every right to draw attention to the fact that he was in the band, which leads me to...

Sorry I stand corrected ‘Font’ rather than ‘Logo’ Again it wasn’t working out so let’s refer back to the band that made him famous, why shouldn’t he?

jem750 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:42 and his promotion is as lead singer and songwriter from The Stranglers
He was the original lead singer and main songwriter in The Stranglers. This is fact. It's worth pointing out that this isn't the same as actually calling yourself "The Stranglers" (which he would probably have every right to do at this point) but that's so obvious that I'm sure you knew that.

Yes but he can’t can he because he left “The Stranglers”
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jonimac wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:19 stalk the forum looking for posts that they can respond to
This is how a forum works, to be fair.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:50 What do you mean by "the stranglers"?!
I mean The Stranglers of course, the band that formed in 74 and with various line-up changes (starting with Hans leaving and Dave joining) have continuously existed playing live and recording albums. They are currently on tour as a tribute to Dave and to promote their latest and his last album, that’s who.
theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:50
He plays the odd JJ song yes.
And it’s good to see you admit your earlier statement was a lie, and that Hugh also plays Stranglers songs he didn’t write, maybe you could refrain from perpetuating such lies in future (but I doubt it).
I have no issues with Hugh playing Stranglers songs he didn’t write, he performed on the original, strongly promotes himself as an ex-member of the band, and is open about he will play those songs (including an albums worth of reinterpretations released with Monster).
theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:50
But the bulk are his which JJ performs and charges punters under "the Stranglers" banner. If you're ok with that then fine crack on.
The bulk of what The Stranglers play are joint compositions, not Hugh or JJ solo compositions (another distortion you like to perpetuate), but even if they were written by Hugh (or any other ex member) they were recorded and released as Stranglers songs and they have every right to play them, and for some, an audience expectation for them to play.
I am ok with that (hence I read and post on a Stranglers fans forum) and will crack on (as far as I’m allowed to do) thanks.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:28 Yes but he can’t can he because he left “The Stranglers”
More to the point, he doesn't want to go out on tour or make music as The Stranglers. That's not to say he wants to deny ever being in the band or that he isn't proud of the material. Why would he and why wouldn't he be? It's largely his work that he spent a lot of time on.
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

StanInBlack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:23
jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:05 So please enlighten me or JJ for that matter, at exactly what point should he have dropped The Stranglers name?
I pretty much answered this question a couple of pages ago, but in a nutshell...

In a perfect world, the band would have called it a day after the Dreamtime album and tour and avoided making a relatively lacklustre final album. The most credible option would have been to end after Hugh left and preserve everything that was special about the band. Failing that, either when Jet retired or when Dave passed away. Three original members? Fine. One original member? Nah.
Not a perfect world though is it? For me I thought the band could not carry on without Dave or JJ. However the reviews are sounding great and I am looking forward to next week, and for me the last album with Dave is the best thing the band have done since i cant remember when so I will live for the moment and enjoy and not worry how credible i feel
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:39 Not a perfect world though is it?
Of course it isn't. If it was, we wouldn't be having this conversation!
jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:39 For me I thought the band could not carry on without Dave or JJ. However the reviews are sounding great
Eh, the fact of the matter is anyone remotely interested in going to see the current Stranglers line-up live isn't going to give them a bad review even if the gig is shit - it'll either be ludicrously over the top praise or they won't say anything for fear of upsetting the die-hards that struggle to accept anything less than an arse licking review. Anyone who isn't interested will be indifferent enough to not pass comment.
jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:39 and I am looking forward to next week
...and fill your boots! Just don't forget that it is what it is and what it is isn't really The Stranglers, but quite possibly the most professional tribute to their music in existence today. I think that's a very fair assessment of the current line-up.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln,

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:55
Bear Cage wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:43 This is like the if a tree falls in a forest and Stan isn't there does it make a noise?! Image

Clearly Stan doesn't need to be there to know that the setlist is changing very slightly by 1 or 2 songs at best

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Which is EXACTLY what JJ said, he didn’t say they change the whole set every night, but they liked to vary things and change one or two songs each night (which is more variation than most other bands).
Listen to yourself. Why did he call that out in interviews? Most bands wouldn't bother mentioning it.

Jim

Listen to myself? I was just clarifying a fact around a misinterpretation, you mentioned the set-list was changing by one or two songs at best, I highlighted that’s exactly what JJ had said they like to do.
Questions happen in interviews and interviewees respond. Most bands wouldn’t mention changing sets-lists, because most bands don’t change them.
Why would you object to him saying something true in an interview, then doing it? Maybe it’s because you (and Stan) are anti The Stranglers continued existence (and have been so for a number of years), like to distort everything you can into criticism, perpetuate these distortions and object to those that call these out,
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 01:37 Maybe it’s because you (and Stan) are anti The Stranglers continued existence (and have been so for a number of years) ..
If they changed the name to "Stranglers" would everyone be okay with it ? Drop the "The" ? or would it have to be a full change, to "JJ Burnell and Friends" that satisfies all ?
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

A few of us mentioned JJ calling this out in interviews and the fact that the change in setlist is so small it barely warrants a mention. Again facts that you have real problems with.

Jim
Bear Cage wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 23:55
Bear Cage wrote: Which is EXACTLY what JJ said, he didn’t say they change the whole set every night, but they liked to vary things and change one or two songs each night (which is more variation than most other bands).
Listen to yourself. Why did he call that out in interviews? Most bands wouldn't bother mentioning it.

Jim

Listen to myself? I was just clarifying a fact around a misinterpretation, you mentioned the set-list was changing by one or two songs at best, I highlighted that’s exactly what JJ had said they like to do.
Questions happen in interviews and interviewees respond. Most bands wouldn’t mention changing sets-lists, because most bands don’t change them.
Why would you object to him saying something true in an interview, then doing it? Maybe it’s because you (and Stan) are anti The Stranglers continued existence (and have been so for a number of years), like to distort everything you can into criticism, perpetuate these distortions and object to those that call these out,

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I highlighted that, in said interview, JJ said the change was by a song or two.
I never have issues with facts, it's distortions and lies I struggle with, hence I call them out. “Again facts that you have real problems with.”
theraven1979 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 08:30 A few of us mentioned JJ calling this out in interviews and the fact that the change in setlist is so small it barely warrants a mention. Again facts that you have real problems with.

Jim