Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 20:26
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 16:39 We seem to be going over and over this, so I will make it simple, yes we know JJ is the only original member, if people still enjoy the Stranglers yes Stranglers as they are now fine, but if you don't that's OK to feel like that to, I will be honest when DG passed I thought the band should finish, but when I heard some of the previews of DMs I thought, this sounds rather good, then I heard interviews with JJ and Baz and decided fuck it, why shouldn't the band continue, then heard the album and really enjoyed it and I still am, I then saw some of the footage of the Francais tour and thought fuck, they still sound great, so that's where I'm at, I still enjoy the band as they are now and Toby is doing an amazing job, so I really look forward to my one and only date at Reading on the 22nd,i just hope I don't get punched by a big Man or Woman just to keep things Pc :smt005 If that makes me a sad bastard for still enjoying the band as they are now, so be it. But I fully understand others who want to remember the band as they were. Lt Kudu Not in Ukraine, sorry that wasn't even funny, even by my terrible joke standard. And I am letting the side down by only wearing half black clothes today. :smt013
Blimey he we go again round and round in circles lol
I've read all your post and couldn't agree more with what you are saying,they are playing very well live along with a great full original material album's worth they are now on a UK tour that has 9 sell outs to it's name too,the French tour and the current Uk tour has been very well received.
A quick curious question as i haven't been on here very long compared to the most on here who have been for years now,when Hugh left which was then the ONLY original four member's band ever that was formed from '74 until he left, when he did leave and it was no longer the original band anymore and then two new members joined as in Paul & John together joined the band were they ever thought of as a tribute players too because they were not from the original band ?
If we was to forget the fact there were still three original members left at that point in time still but now there's only one left but the fact was that two new members who came in post originals' 90 were they ever thought of or classed as tribute players too like some think baz and Jim are because they were not from the original band line up? i'm a little confused as Baz has been in the band for 22 years now and Jim 10 with JJ obviously the 47 which is a lot of dedicated years to this band between them,so i'm wondering how can they can be a tribute band when three out of the four current line up members has been in the band for at least 10 years each?,surely you need a band with no original members left in it to be classed a tribute act like Straighten out obviously is,maybe it's just my way of thinking but i do think most are still very happy with the current line up still and good luck to the band still i say.Like i say it's more of a curious question as post Hugh i didn't follow the band for years so i'm not so sure how many thought of the band post the original had ended in '90.I suppose it just comes down to an individuals preference and choices at the end of the day.
Sir in answer to your question? Fuck knows, sorry to swear, as I said if you like them with the lineup now, you support them and If you don't that's people's choice, I don't think any of the thousands who are turning out to support the lads think they are a tribute band? Of course Toby is paying tribute to Dave by keeping the great mans music alive, but they are still the Stranglers to me, Jet fully supports them and that's good enough for me, I love DMs and am gutted I can't go to more dates but I can't, I am deff going to Reading so I will do one of my Infamous reviews, and I will be honest as always. Lt Kudu. :smt013
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 22:10 I've just heard i think the best version of If You Should See Dave that i've heard and that was at the Aberdeen gig,just a lovely version from start to finish,JJ's vocals,the guitars everything was perfect,even though Glasgow's Stallion wasn't an easy version on the vocals i think this track is really hard for them to do live even with all the pre recordings and backing to it all which does help to make it sound fuller and great i'm just not so sure now what is a fantastic studio track no doubt i love it but not so sure as a live track now,but that's not me being there it could sound amazing there at the gig to be honest.
Sir I understand some peoples views that it's not the Stranglers anymore with only JJ being the original but it's the way it is, Baz has earned his stripes and so has Jim, keeping the music going for those who want to see them live, and Toby the Star of the tour for me for taking on the daunting task of playing the legends fantastic keyboard parts, but what a pro and trooper. I'm so excited about my one and only gig in Sunny Reading, I remember the last time they played there Baz came up to me and said my first name and surname, JJ waved and I had brief Chat with DG, he seemed in another world, but Dave was a unique character, a very kind man and amazing talent, Dave would be proud of Toby I'm sure. Lt Cmdr Kudu, you will always find me in the kitchen and Parties. :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 23:18
toilerinblack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 22:10 I've just heard i think the best version of If You Should See Dave that i've heard and that was at the Aberdeen gig,just a lovely version from start to finish,JJ's vocals,the guitars everything was perfect,even though Glasgow's Stallion wasn't an easy version on the vocals i think this track is really hard for them to do live even with all the pre recordings and backing to it all which does help to make it sound fuller and great i'm just not so sure now what is a fantastic studio track no doubt i love it but not so sure as a live track now,but that's not me being there it could sound amazing there at the gig to be honest.
Sir I understand some peoples views that it's not the Stranglers anymore with only JJ being the original but it's the way it is, Baz has earned his stripes and so has Jim, keeping the music going for those who want to see them live, and Toby the Star of the tour for me for taking on the daunting task of playing the legends fantastic keyboard parts, but what a pro and trooper. I'm so excited about my one and only gig in Sunny Reading, I remember the last time they played there Baz came up to me and said my first name and surname, JJ waved and I had brief Chat with DG, he seemed in another world, but Dave was a unique character, a very kind man and amazing talent, Dave would be proud of Toby I'm sure. Lt Cmdr Kudu, you will always find me in the kitchen and Parties. :smt005
Well i think Jim said it well it's all down to each person what fans like and don't and like you say each person either way like's the line up today or they don't i think it's up to each indivdual preference and rightly so i think,yes the few time's i've chatted to Dave he's always been a real gent who will be always so sadly missed by the fans,i'm glad hopefully your be seeing them at Reading..... we wait your report.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Judging by the gig last night in Stoke you are going to have a great time in Reading. The set list is improving and they are firing on all cylinders like a finally tuned hog.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais81 wrote: 01 Feb 2022, 18:47
Judging by the gig last night in Stoke you are going to have a great time in Reading. The set list is improving and they are firing on all cylinders like a finally tuned hog.
Great to hear that about the stoke gig, i haven't heard anything yet from that gig but they do seem to be getting better and better with each venue which is great too hear and Toby will get naturally get sharper too the more he plays with the band not that he's not already to my ears anyway,but yes it's great news for paying fans who will be going to see them soon who haven't yet seen them on this tour.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

theraven1979 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 21:56
sendwarrior wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 29 Jan 2022, 11:05 I wonder how Toby compares to Mick out of Straighten Out
It's not a comparision, as Mick only plays MK1 material and Toby plays everything from Grip to White Stallion Image
That's a decent Venn diagram. Ok so let's forgo the 4 songs they play post 1990
I think you need to re-string your abacus - they play more than 4 post 1990 songs :grin:
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
jem750
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jem750 »

StanInBlack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 17:57
Yanders wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 13:48 I don't think jj should stop playing live, stop playing strangler music or change the band name. But I bet fewer people than ever going to see them live could name all the band members.

I don't know why some on here are seeing that three quarters of the current line up had no input into three quarters of the set and are getting pissy with people who are questioning what their favourite band have become?
Indeed. I don't think JJ should stop playing live either, and I definitely don't think he should stop playing songs he sang lead vocals on or was mainly responsible for while being part of The Stranglers. I just find it an incredible stretch to call the current line-up "The Stranglers" ... if they actually did go out on tour as Burnel & Warne or JJ Burnel & Friends I would be like "fair enough" ... at least - to me - that would more honest about what it is and would cater for those that want to see an evening of Stranglers music played professionally well but at the same time it not being The Stranglers.
Cant believe we are still talking about this :lol: Through a not perfect evolution JJ’s band is still “The Stranglers” After an incredible gig in Brixton on Saturday night I did briefly remember the gig from 1980 with the 4 original Meninblack bathed in only white light but it didn’t take me feel that what I was watching 42 years later was any less valid. I enjoyed the moment and after the last 2 years that is what life is about. There isn’t any more navel gazing needed. Hope I can see them again on Monday band illness permitting and then I have Hugh too look forward too in April 🤠
I Spend My Time Watching The Ocean....
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

jem750 wrote: 07 Feb 2022, 22:36
Cant believe we are still talking about this
Indeed.
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

You don't have to talk about it. If a topic doesn't interest you, you have no obligation to join in.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Indeed - I thought we were done with this after 6 days of blissful silence :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfrvOEnoaCM

Jim
Yanders wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 08:30 You don't have to talk about it. If a topic doesn't interest you, you have no obligation to join in.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

It's what i like best about this forum - a thread can be silent for years and without warning the squabble can start up again.