Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln,

Post by Bear Cage »

alaninblack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 03:51
Bear Cage wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 01:37 Maybe it’s because you (and Stan) are anti The Stranglers continued existence (and have been so for a number of years) ..
If they changed the name to "Stranglers" would everyone be okay with it ? Drop the "The" ? or would it have to be a full change, to "JJ Burnell and Friends" that satisfies all ?
The band isn’t “JJ Burnell and friends” it's not JJ’s and his backing band. The Stranglers is a continuing band, line-ups have changed but they continue, there is no need to change the name, there is no pretence or confusion that it’s not the same persons that first formed the band in 74.
If audiences don’t like The Stranglers they will stop buying the new releases and stop buying tickets, which some on here have done so, as is there right. However the majority haven’t, sales and audience sizes did drop off in the 90s, but have picked back up, The Stranglers have just released one of their most successful albums in years (as well as best received review wise) and are touring, in memory of Dave and to promote the album, to largely sell-out venues.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

All said and done it's a reasonable point to make. If for some bizarre reason someone saw the band who had never seen them live before I don't think it's too far removed for them to ask "who actually are the Stranglers these days?". The answer to which would raise an eyebrow. It is a bit of a stretch.

I'm being as delicate as possible in my reply as I know someone disagreeing with you will resort in you throwing insults back and making out this is an attack on you, the band or both

Jim
Bear Cage wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 09:00
alaninblack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 03:51
Bear Cage wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 01:37 Maybe it’s because you (and Stan) are anti The Stranglers continued existence (and have been so for a number of years) ..
If they changed the name to "Stranglers" would everyone be okay with it ? Drop the "The" ? or would it have to be a full change, to "JJ Burnell and Friends" that satisfies all ?
The band isn’t “JJ Burnell and friends” it's not JJ’s and his backing band. The Stranglers is a continuing band, line-ups have changed but they continue, there is no need to change the name, there is no pretence or confusion that it’s not the same persons that first formed the band in 74.
If audiences don’t like The Stranglers they will stop buying the new releases and stop buying tickets, which some on here have done so, as is there right. However the majority haven’t, sales and audience sizes did drop off in the 90s, but have picked back up, The Stranglers have just released one of their most successful albums in years (as well as best received review wise) and are touring, in memory of Dave and to promote the album, to largely sell-out venues.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jonimac
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Tour Start Tonight enjoy at Sunny Lincoln.

Post by jonimac »

StanInBlack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:49 [

Eh, the fact of the matter is anyone remotely interested in going to see the current Stranglers line-up live isn't going to give them a bad review even if the gig is shit - it'll either be ludicrously over the top praise or they won't say anything for fear of upsetting the die-hards that struggle to accept anything less than an arse licking review. Anyone who isn't interested will be indifferent enough to not pass comment.

[
Eh? I know we have all been here a long time Stan (whatever happened to that guitar tab site?) so surely you would agree that this has never been a place for unchallenged debate.
Or a change of opinion as we get older.
Looking back using the search facility at my contributions of years ago, I laugh at some of my opinions, although I think I may have been more prolific on the glorious orange forum set up by Liz.
Fascinating also, to see how my style of posting has changed too.....
Last edited by jonimac on 31 Jan 2022, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
From Glasgow, the centre of Stranglermania (copyright Strangled 1982)
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

I would say there is a good case for the current band still being credible as "The Stranglers", providing you can accept that Baz is a "real Strangler" (whatever that actually means.), since he's been there a very long time now anyway.
If you can't accept that then 1 original real Strangler only is pushing it a bit I suppose..

Either way I'm going to a couple of gigs and will enjoy the music / night out for what it is..
I Hate You !
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

markorbit wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:02
Greatkudu wrote: 30 Jan 2022, 22:34 JJ plays the riff at the start, the keys do the bass until later in song where JJ plays as usual, on the album he's playing Bass the whole song, the album version has Dave doing that Keyboard bass sound and Louie added extra bits, I think JJ isn't playing Bass until later on the live version as he's try to connect with the audience, if he was playing the bass, he couldn't do it or that expression with his arms. Lt Kudu.
Perhaps you have inside information (see what I did there?) but the recorded bass on the album seems more like a Louie thing to me rather than Dave.

I was very surprised to see JJ not play that live but perhaps it's one of those where the vocals and the bass are difficult to do simultaneously. Oh and I suspect the live version has it on backing track along with loads of other stuff.
At the start of the studio version, you here that deep bass keyboard riff, that's deff Dave, the rest of the keyboards are Louie, JJ plays bass on the whole song on studio version, but live he may have decided it was hard to sing and play bass, but later in the live version he plays his bass live when Baz sings his verse, I hope this clarifies the situation. I may be wrong? But I deff hear JJs bass the whole song on the studio version along with Dave's deep Bass keyboard riff or pad. Lt Kudu the Sixth Beatle. :smt005
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:49
jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:39 Not a perfect world though is it?
Of course it isn't. If it was, we wouldn't be having this conversation!
jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:39 For me I thought the band could not carry on without Dave or JJ. However the reviews are sounding great
Eh, the fact of the matter is anyone remotely interested in going to see the current Stranglers line-up live isn't going to give them a bad review even if the gig is shit - it'll either be ludicrously over the top praise or they won't say anything for fear of upsetting the die-hards that struggle to accept anything less than an arse licking review. Anyone who isn't interested will be indifferent enough to not pass comment.
jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:39 and I am looking forward to next week
...and fill your boots! Just don't forget that it is what it is and what it is isn't really The Stranglers, but quite possibly the most professional tribute to their music in existence today. I think thst's a very fair assessment of the current line-up.
Wrong Sir, if when I go and I think its a bad gig, I will say, I am known for my honesty, sometimes I'm to honest, but that's life. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I doubt very much you'll see a "bad gig" - they've been putting in some very polished performances by all accounts

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 10:39
jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:39 Not a perfect world though is it?
jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:39 For me I thought the band could not carry on without Dave or JJ. However the reviews are sounding great
jem750 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:39 and I am looking forward to next week
...and fill your boots! Just don't forget that it is what it is and what it is isn't really The Stranglers, but quite possibly the most professional tribute to their music in existence today. I think thst's a very fair assessment of the current line-up.
Wrong Sir, if when I go and I think its a bad gig, I will say, I am known for my honesty, sometimes I'm to honest, but that's life. Lt Kudu.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

StanInBlack wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 00:49 ... Anyone who isn't interested will be indifferent enough to not pass comment.

[
Good advice :roll:
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 10:40 I doubt very much you'll see a "bad gig" - they've been putting in some very polished performances by all accounts

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 10:39

Well I will be honest in my appraisal, I won't say its good if I don't think it is,I will be looking for more than just a polished performance, I always go to a gig with an open mind, that's the best way to be, so I will always be honest, I have been to some crap Stranglers gigs, the worst one was Birmingham Punk All Day thing in 2005 I think? It was a shocker, I knew then Paul would leave soon after and he did, he looked so unhappy and pissed off. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 09:24 All said and done it's a reasonable point to make. If for some bizarre reason someone saw the band who had never seen them live before I don't think it's too far removed for them to ask "who actually are the Stranglers these days?". The answer to which would raise an eyebrow. It is a bit of a stretch.
It's the "Trigger's broom" theory, isn't it? He replaced both the broomhead and handle enough times that while he ended up with a broom that functions perhaps better than it normally would have done after years of use, it's not actually the same broom. This may not be a problem if we're talking about a broom, but when it's applied to a band it can be a bit problematic as bands rely on the contributions and playing styles of specific individuals which is what gives them their sound and feel. Change the chemistry, and the output isn't quite right no matter what it's called.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

It's all down to what people will accept - I mentioned Straighten Out earlier for a good reason. If you're happy with the lineup with 1 original member and the stranglers logo slapped all over it then fair enough - embrace it. But there is no disputing the fact that there's 1 original member. Regardless of someone being "a proper true Strangler" it's still a line-up with just 1 original member. I have no particular issue with it and I think under the unfortunate circumstances they should finish off the tour under that banner. But for someone to dispute the fact then that's crazy

Jim
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I don't think jj should stop playing live, stop playing strangler music or change the band name. But I bet fewer people than ever going to see them live could name all the band members.

I don't know why some on here are seeing that three quarters of the current line up had no input into three quarters of the set and are getting pissy with people who are questioning what their favourite band have become?