JJ in Cumbria Times

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: JJ in Cumbria Times

Post by Bear Cage »

Greatkudu wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 00:03
They enjoy playing them of course, but Peaches needs a fucking break Sir, I'm fed up with the Puppies noses bit, sorry Baz. Lt Vice Admiral Kudu.
Peaches has never been my favourite track (least liked track off Rattus for me) and although personally I would like to see it rested again, it is one of the songs that seems to get a big cheer and go down really well with the majority of the audience at gigs, so I think it dropping out the set is unlikely.
Peaches or not, I’m still looking forwards to seeing them again next month (hopefully), which is too long a gap since my last Stranglers gig (Back on the Tracks tour, 2019), confident I’ll hear something rarely played (or not played for years), as well as some Dark Matters.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Peaches seems to be one of the most played songs by both Hugh solo and by the Stranglers.
Looking at setlist.fm (not that it’s complete/authoritative) The Stranglers and Hugh’s solo top 10 most played songs include a lot of overlap (Grip, Peaches, Heroes, Sleazy, Duchess, Golden Brown and Always the Sun).
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:44 Its like when Hugh meets someone and they say, do you remember me from Bath 1977? I had the leather jacket on, and Hugh says oh yes of course I do, just to make the fan not feel uneasy.
So you're saying he does not remember me then?
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

I used to dislike "Peaches" quite strongly - if I had a live tape with it on I'd bypass it. But then I heard the French radio broadcast with Paul, and the keyboard solo just made it worthwhile again. There's lots of songs that were done to death at one point, then I was happy when they were dropped, but would now like to hear again. Brainbox, for example, and perhaps even 96 Tears if there's room for another cover.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Peaches has a great tune, the lyrics were more than entertaining enough in my adolescence, now I find them quite puerile. Nonetheless it’s one of those best known stranglers tracks, like the Lemmy “Ace of Spades” scenario, punters pay to hear certain tracks. I can’t stomach a Baz Warne vocal of it personally, always felt Hugh solo does it more justice, it’s one he gets musically adventurous with in his live set. I do tend to skip Peaches especially when listening to strangers complications though.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

adeinblack wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 09:25
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:44 Its like when Hugh meets someone and they say, do you remember me from Bath 1977? I had the leather jacket on, and Hugh says oh yes of course I do, just to make the fan not feel uneasy.
So you're saying he does not remember me then?
Was it you in the Leather jacket? Hugh says narf arff. Lt Kudu :smt005
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

droopsnoot wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 10:09 I used to dislike "Peaches" quite strongly - if I had a live tape with it on I'd bypass it. But then I heard the French radio broadcast with Paul, and the keyboard solo just made it worthwhile again. There's lots of songs that were done to death at one point, then I was happy when they were dropped, but would now like to hear again. Brainbox, for example, and perhaps even 96 Tears if there's room for another cover.
I always enjoy 96 Tears live. It’s one of those tracks that the studio version really does not do the song justice (similar for most of 10). It’s poor on record (a weak, middle of the road run through, adding nothing to the original) but live it always had a real verve, making it so much better.
giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by giants »

I like that line
I think JJ just likes to see what pointless lie he can get away with. J J ever thought of becoming Priminister.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 11:32
droopsnoot wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 10:09 I used to dislike "Peaches" quite strongly - if I had a live tape with it on I'd bypass it. But then I heard the French radio broadcast with Paul, and the keyboard solo just made it worthwhile again. There's lots of songs that were done to death at one point, then I was happy when they were dropped, but would now like to hear again. Brainbox, for example, and perhaps even 96 Tears if there's room for another cover.
I always enjoy 96 Tears live. It’s one of those tracks that the studio version really does not do the song justice (similar for most of 10). It’s poor on record (a weak, middle of the road run through, adding nothing to the original) but live it always had a real verve, making it so much better.
Agreed about 96 tears but only the Hugh sung version for me after him i wouldn't bother.I always remember seeing him do the Pally version of 96 Tears in '90 top version,little did i know then that would be the last time i'd see him do that song with the band.The band are doing very nicely with DM and Toby but for me it will always be the problem of them doing Hugh sung songs live and there is no way around that so it is how it is and it's been that way since'90.But overall i'm very behind the band moving forwards with their new material away from the Hugh past i like to keep the two seperate.
giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by giants »

Well said' lets all be more positive for 2022.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

giants wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 14:04 I like that line
I think JJ just likes to see what pointless lie he can get away with. J J ever thought of becoming Priminister.
JJ and Hugh get things wrong from the past, they both took alot of drugs so does cloud things, JJ comes across as an honest bloke. To even mention him along side the King Clown is rather unfair to say the least. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:05 I think JJ just likes to see what pointless lie he can get away with.
Throw in the Paul Simonon incident and a Hugh Cornwell diss and that's basically an automatic "house" in JJ interview bingo these days.