JJ in Cumbria Times

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: JJ in Cumbria Times

Post by strangledinAuch »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 19:16
droopsnoot wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 19:02
Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 17:26 He says the same every gig on Peaches ad lib,
I agree he doesn't change it as often as Hugh did - sometimes a different one to match the venue he was playing at, on some of the live tapes I've got - but it's not always the same, there have been some alternative ones.
I played Dark Matters last night and still think it's a fine album. Lt Kudu.
Played it the last two mornings and you are correct, it's a fine album
See You At The Bar
kenl

Post by kenl »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 23:33
BankMan wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 19:41 Hey-ho, when the full tours stop and they restrict themselves to one off festival appearances then all anyone is going to get is the usual GB and ATS borefest with NMH at the end of the shortened set. Sad
Indeed, as well as being played by a band with only one original member in it.

Change the record FFS. 🙄
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

Just actually read this, what is JJ talking about when he says "We stopped playing Peaches eight years ago as we got fed up of playing it but we now play the song as it feels fresh again."

Sorry JJ, but a quick search of YouTube for Stranglers Peaches 2004, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 - all show results ? I wish it was the case that they did stop playing some of the numbers like Peaches, GB, ATS. When was the last time Peaches ATS and GB was not played ? Anyone know ? or actually care ?
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

According to setlist, they played peaches 58 times in 2019 and have played in more over the last ten years than they have for years.

I think JJ just likes to see what pointless lie he can get away with.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

They did stop playing Peaches a while back, but as I recall it was when Paul joined the band as he described it as "Too Hugh". I wonder if he's just compressing time a bit there. A mate of mine will often start a story with "a couple of years ago" and as the story goes on it becomes clear he's talking about sometime in the seventies.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Surely though playing/rehearsing Peaches for every year for every date on a tour is memorable?

To me this is one of the main problems with the live sets in the last 10 years. They play some of the classics to death on every tour. Almost ruins the life out of the song.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bogenbroom
Rats Rally

Post by Bogenbroom »

This is the reason I stopped going to see them live about 7 years ago. It just got boring. Yes, they do occasionally throw in a rarely played song, but I realised I was only going to hear than one song, and quite often the unusual songs didn’t last the whole tour (e.g. Ice and The Man They Love to Hate were both dropped mid-tour).

I know they’re a decent live band and it’s a good night out for casual fans or people who know the big hits and want to hear them banged out efficiently, but there’s not a lot else if you’ve heard the same set a dozen times before.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

God give JJ a break, they stopped playing Peaches after the 10 tour and not sure when they started playing it again? They may have played it in 2004? Anyone remember the car crash re recorded version with Paul a pointless low point equal to Summer in the City, JJ is 69 and in great shape but his memory is maybe not quite what it was? Its like when Hugh meets someone and they say, do you remember me from Bath 1977? I had the leather jacket on, and Hugh says oh yes of course I do, just to make the fan not feel uneasy. But Peaches is so Hugh and it should be dropped, so many other songs to play but if a casual fan goes to a fake Stranglers gig joking, he or she or he and she or mixed would be disappointed not to hear it, years ago they didn't care but things have changed, it's Cabaret time with JJ and hired hands, joking again. :smt005 Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

God give Paul a break.

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:44 God give JJ a break, they stopped playing Peaches after the 10 tour and not sure when they started playing it again? They may have played it in 2004? Anyone remember the car crash re recorded version with Paul a pointless low point equal to Summer in the City, JJ is 69 and in great shape but his memory is maybe not quite what it was? Its like when Hugh meets someone and they say, do you remember me from Bath 1977? I had the leather jacket on, and Hugh says oh yes of course I do, just to make the fan not feel uneasy. But Peaches is so Hugh and it should be dropped, so many other songs to play but if a casual fan goes to a fake Stranglers gig joking, he or she or he and she or mixed would be disappointed not to hear it, years ago they didn't care but things have changed, it's Cabaret time with JJ and hired hands, joking again. :smt005 Lt Kudu.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 12:00 God give Paul a break.

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 11:44 God give JJ a break, they stopped playing Peaches after the 10 tour and not sure when they started playing it again? They may have played it in 2004? Anyone remember the car crash re recorded version with Paul a pointless low point equal to Summer in the City, JJ is 69 and in great shape but his memory is maybe not quite what it was? Its like when Hugh meets someone and they say, do you remember me from Bath 1977? I had the leather jacket on, and Hugh says oh yes of course I do, just to make the fan not feel uneasy. But Peaches is so Hugh and it should be dropped, so many other songs to play but if a casual fan goes to a fake Stranglers gig joking, he or she or he and she or mixed would be disappointed not to hear it, years ago they didn't care but things have changed, it's Cabaret time with JJ and hired hands, joking again. :smt005 Lt Kudu.
I think all the band deserve criticism for that terrible re recording of Peaches, I don't know what they were thinking of, if i was the manager, I would have said no no no boys thrice no.Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:29 Surely though playing/rehearsing Peaches for every year for every date on a tour is memorable?

To me this is one of the main problems with the live sets in the last 10 years. They play some of the classics to death on every tour. Almost ruins the life out of the song.

Jim
Yep..exactly right they play some of the great classics so much that like you have said ruins the life out of it.
Do they keep playing those old same hits because they think that's what they fans want to hear each time or because they are the songs that they enjoy keep playing themselves each time? but in their defence it's their band and they will play what they want to play at the end of the day,but i like many on here would love to hear so many different songs from such a boasting back catalogue.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 18:50
theraven1979 wrote: 06 Jan 2022, 10:29 Surely though playing/rehearsing Peaches for every year for every date on a tour is memorable?

Jim
Yep..exactly right they play some of the great classics so much that like you have said ruins the life out of it.
Do they keep playing those old same hits because they think that's what they fans want to hear each time or because they are the songs that they enjoy keep playing themselves each time? but in their defence it's their band and they will play what they want to play at the end of the day,but i like many on here would love to hear so many different songs from such a boasting back catalogue.
They enjoy playing them of course, but Peaches needs a fucking break Sir, I'm fed up with the Puppies noses bit, sorry Baz. Lt Vice Admiral Kudu.