JJ in Cumbria Times

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

JJ in Cumbria Times

Post by evonx »

--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: JJ in Cumbria Times

Post by StanInBlack »

We have eighteen albums crying out to be played.
Like they haven't already toured seventeen of them.
We try to change the set list around every night.
:roll:
People can tell if you are going through the motions otherwise you end up becoming a cabaret band.
Like it isn't cabaret already.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

To your casual punter who maybe hasn't seen them for over a decade then I guess JJ is right. However, anyone who's been to their gig in the last 10+ years will have probably heard the hits.

Jim
StanInBlack wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 16:28
People can tell if you are going through the motions otherwise you end up becoming a cabaret band.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Cabaret I disagree with you as do many others. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 16:38 To your casual punter who maybe hasn't seen them for over a decade then I guess JJ is right. However, anyone who's been to their gig in the last 10+ years will have probably heard the hits.
It's the "we have eighteen albums crying out to be played" line that particularly makes me chuckle given how disingenuous it is. They've barely touched at least four of them in their live sets in the last 22 years and they mostly fall back on the first three.
Greatkudu wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 17:29 Cabaret I disagree with you as do many others. Lt Kudu.
and by the same token, many also agree.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 18:55
theraven1979 wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 16:38 To your casual punter who maybe hasn't seen them for over a decade then I guess JJ is right. However, anyone who's been to their gig in the last 10+ years will have probably heard the hits.
It's the "we have eighteen albums crying out to be played" line that particularly makes me chuckle given how disingenuous it is. They've barely touched at least four of them in their live sets in the last 22 years and they mostly fall back on the first three.
Greatkudu wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 17:29 Cabaret I disagree with you as do many others. Lt Kudu.
and by the same token, many also agree.
Yeah, and the sad reality is they usually play the same songs from the first three (and fourth, fifth and sixth) albums. Struggling to remember when I last heard live Sometimes, School Mam, Shah, Hallow, Tramp, Never Say Goodbye or Souls, all of which are great live tracks

Hey-ho, when the full tours stop and they restrict themselves to one off festival appearances then all anyone is going to get is the usual GB and ATS borefest with NMH at the end of the shortened set. Sad
alaninblack
Rats Rally

Post by alaninblack »

BankMan wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 19:41 Yeah, and the sad reality is they usually play the same songs from the first three (and fourth, fifth and sixth) albums. Struggling to remember when I last heard live Sometimes, School Mam, Shah, Hallow, Tramp, Never Say Goodbye or Souls, all of which are great live tracks

Hey-ho, when the full tours stop and they restrict themselves to one off festival appearances then all anyone is going to get is the usual GB and ATS borefest with NMH at the end of the shortened set. Sad
I would not call them "cabaret" but Bankman is pretty much spot on.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 17:29
Their not Cabaret i agree too with you there, but i do agree that they keep doing the same sort of set list for what seems like years now with the odd new one chucked in and have felt like many others do too that it's more than time enough from songs that never see the light of day off so many albums now and with the UK tour round the corner it would be the perfect time to change it about a lot and mix the usual set up and why not this band has enough material under their belt to do just that for the paying public's moneys worth i feel.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

BankMan wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 19:41 Hey-ho, when the full tours stop and they restrict themselves to one off festival appearances then all anyone is going to get is the usual GB and ATS borefest with NMH at the end of the shortened set. Sad
Indeed, as well as being played by a band with only one original member in it.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 23:20
Greatkudu wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 17:29

Their not Cabaret i agree too with you there, but i do agree that they keep doing the same sort of set list for what seems like years now with the odd new one chucked in and have felt like many others do too that it's more than time enough from songs that never see the light of day off so many albums now and with the UK tour round the corner it would be the perfect time to change it about a lot and mix the usual set up and why not this band has enough material under their belt to do just that for the paying public's moneys worth i feel.
Must admit last time I saw the band , Jet was still behind the drums. Must be 2011 or 12 .....it was pre Giants . If I went now though I expect it would be pretty much 70% of the same set maybe .Considering they have maybe 300 songs to choose from ( and one noise ) it's maybe a bit sad as some other songs should get an outing ......Shah , Choosey , Sweden , Golden Boy , Coup , many more ......I suppose they play crowd favourites to please fans. I don' t see it as cabaret , but maybe a bit of laziness I not relearning some other stuff.
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I don't think the more off the wall songs would work now live an example being Shah Shah, that wont be played again, I do agree they play it safe,but that's the way it is, it's really the last Curtain call for the band now.Lt Kudu.
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

I’ve often thought the setlist should’ve have grouped songs from albums or era’s together I.e. 4 or 5 from each, starting with the most recent and ending - on a high - with the early stuff. This would allow some of the more off the wall stuff to sit nicely and naturally in amongst songs from the same album/era. Norfolk Coast followed by Peaches followed by Skin Deep for example never really flowed or sat well together