JJ in Cumbria Times

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: JJ in Cumbria Times

Post by jason »

They have played quite a range of songs over the last decade or so though. They've played Sunspots, Sweden, Coup de Grace, Ice, Four Horsemen and Man they love to hate for example. Not regularly I admit but they have played them.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Often wondered if they announced a 'hardcore' tour how ticket sales would go?

Ten years ago,i think this would have been very popular

Today,not so sure,quite a few hardcore Stranglers fans have since passed away and most of the others have dodgy knees :lol:

On a side note,a French fan at the toulouse gig,shouted out for Rok It To The Moon! :shock:

Somewhat trumping my call for Choosey Susie :grin:
See You At The Bar
BankMan
Down In The Sewer

Post by BankMan »

strangledinAuch wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 10:21 Often wondered if they announced a 'hardcore' tour how ticket sales would go?

Ten years ago,i think this would have been very popular

Today,not so sure,quite a few hardcore Stranglers fans have since passed away and most of the others have dodgy knees :lol:

On a side note,a French fan at the toulouse gig,shouted out for Rok It To The Moon! :shock:

Somewhat trumping my call for Choosey Susie :grin:
I think it would go down well. If they’re cutting out the large scale tours, a 7-8 date small venue tour, playing all songs from an album, or trialling new material would be worth going to see. When they did B&W a few years back and also at the 2011 convention, it was the most memorable gig I’d attended since the late 70’s early 80’s, regardless of who the band members were
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

BankMan wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 10:19 I’ve often thought the setlist should’ve have grouped songs from albums or era’s together I.e. 4 or 5 from each, starting with the most recent and ending - on a high - with the early stuff. This would allow some of the more off the wall stuff to sit nicely and naturally in amongst songs from the same album/era. Norfolk Coast followed by Peaches followed by Skin Deep for example never really flowed or sat well together
To be fair with balance, they know that most people who come don't know alot of the obscure songs, so they cater for all tastes, I thought the French tour had a good balance, but they need to drop Peaches as it's just getting boring now, and I will slate Baz here sorry Baz, but the add lib bit near the end ie down on the beaches looking at the? What the fuck is he on about the looking at the Puppies noses? Please change the Fucking word, Hugh is so inventive with his Deckchairs, dog turds, beach towels etc, that's one song that Hugh really cant be touched on, I really think they are going through the motions with Peaches. Lt Kudu. :smt013
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

They've played Peaches loads recently haven't they? I'd rather not hear it again just because I'm bored with it but I can understand why they play it. Some casual fans love it.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 18:55

Greatkudu wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 17:29 Cabaret I disagree with you as do many others. Lt Kudu.
and by the same token, many also agree.
Not wanting to poke a wasps nest with a big stick, they could liven things up a bit by doing a bit more cabaret style, but can’t see that going down well with most of the punters, to my mind tribute act seems more fitting than cabaret. I find the lead vocals so off on numbers that Hugh sang and the drumming is so far removed from Jet’s style it notices and not really in a great way for me, I guess the jury is out on the keyboards, but don’t think I can ever get over the fact it’s not Dave. That said I always have time for JJs vocals, he should take on some of the numbers Hugh sang in my opinion, might even be vaguely tempted to attending my first stranglers gig for a decade if it were the case.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 11:43 and I will slate Baz here sorry Baz, but the add lib bit near the end ie down on the beaches looking at the? What the fuck is he on about the looking at the Puppies noses? Please change the Fucking word, Hugh is so inventive with his Deckchairs, dog turds, beach towels etc, that's one song that Hugh really cant be touched on,
I thought he started out not doing the ad-lib bits of "Peaches" so as to not make it too Hugh-like, but has recently started doing them again. I believe "puppies noses" is a slang term for nipples, though I haven't been on a beach for a long time, so perhaps there's some other common feature that he may be referring to.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

So what's a "monkey's snout" ?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 13:55
Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 11:43 and I will slate Baz here sorry Baz, but the add lib bit near the end ie down on the beaches looking at the? What the fuck is he on about the looking at the Puppies noses? Please change the Fucking word, Hugh is so inventive with his Deckchairs, dog turds, beach towels etc, that's one song that Hugh really cant be touched on,
I thought he started out not doing the ad-lib bits of "Peaches" so as to not make it too Hugh-like, but has recently started doing them again. I believe "puppies noses" is a slang term for nipples, though I haven't been on a beach for a long time, so perhaps there's some other common feature that he may be referring to.
Oh i see, I have led a sheltered life so wouldn't know about these crude slang terms :smt013 but Peaches is best left to Hugh, his ad libbing changes every gig, its my Baz Warne moan day as he also says feasting on those Peaches, maybe a slang term for something else? :smt005 but it really irritates me. He says the same every gig on Peaches ad lib, maybe invite Hugh on to stage to show how it's done? Or maybe not? Lt Kudu. :smt005
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 17:26 he also says feasting on those Peaches, maybe a slang term for something else?
As in "feast (your eyes) on those peaches", obviously.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 17:26 He says the same every gig on Peaches ad lib,
I agree he doesn't change it as often as Hugh did - sometimes a different one to match the venue he was playing at, on some of the live tapes I've got - but it's not always the same, there have been some alternative ones.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 19:02
Greatkudu wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 17:26 He says the same every gig on Peaches ad lib,
I agree he doesn't change it as often as Hugh did - sometimes a different one to match the venue he was playing at, on some of the live tapes I've got - but it's not always the same, there have been some alternative ones.
Yes fair point, but I'm just bored with hearing it, but I never get bored when Hugh plays it,maybe I'm being harsh on Baz but I have defended him on here many times, so it's yin and yang, and I played Dark Matters last night and still think it's a fine album. Lt Kudu.