Best Vocalist of the Punk Era, your Favourite.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Best Vocalist of the Punk Era, your Favourite.

Post by porkymeat »

Lesley Woods
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Josh wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 21:54 Can we vote for Baz? :smt003
Ask his biggest Fan that question? Lt Kudu. :smt005
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 12:41 So many to choose from and many different styles too. A few I would throw into the hat :
Jake Burns
Dave Vanian
Gene October
Micky Fitz
Siouxsie
Kirk Brandon
Jaz Colman
Phil Langham
A few there some won't recognise like Phil Langham of The Dark , Kirk Brandon ...Theatre of Hate, Micky Fitz of The Business.....maybe even Gene October , Chelsea .
I would be surprised if people on here hadn't heard of Kirk Brandon prob my fave from your list, his pipes still in great shape but he's dropped an octave as he told me after a Spear gig a few years ago, a lovely bloke to.Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 21:56 I would be surprised if people on here hadn't heard of Kirk Brandon
Kirk Brandon is hardly unknown and/or obscure. After all, he's the one who sued Boy George after Boy George claimed they'd been fucking each other in the '80s in his autobiography. And he lost!
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 30 Dec 2021, 19:43
Greatkudu wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 21:56 I would be surprised if people on here hadn't heard of Kirk Brandon
Kirk Brandon is hardly unknown and/or obscure. After all, he's the one who sued Boy George after Boy George claimed they'd been fucking each other in the '80s in his autobiography. And he lost!
Yes but let's talk about his voice. A great Voice and songwriter. Lt Kudu.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 00:32
The original Theatre of Hate album and singles were mostly great, there’s the odd great track from Spear of Destiny too. I’ll agree that he wrote some great songs in the 80s that are still very listenable, haven’t heard anything much outside of his 80s material and can’t imagine it being a serious rival to that material either.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jake wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 00:46
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 00:32

The original Theatre of Hate album and singles were mostly great, there’s the odd great track from Spear of Destiny too. I’ll agree that he wrote some great songs in the 80s that are still very listenable, haven’t heard anything much outside of his 80s material and can’t imagine it being a serious rival to that material either.
Well Spear have been making consistent really good Albums since their commercial peak, kirk has also reformed TOH with Chris Bell on drums and have released two excellent albums in the last few years, I would say he is making better music than ever with all his projects, he also does solo acoustic gigs, his voice is a joy to behold still, oh and Chris Bell is really enjoying himself now, unlike his previous drumming project with?Lt Kudu.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 01:21

Well Spear have been making consistent really good Albums since their commercial peak, kirk has also reformed TOH with Chris Bell on drums and have released two excellent albums in the last few years, I would say he is making better music than ever with all his projects, he also does solo acoustic gigs, his voice is a joy to behold still, oh and Chris Bell is really enjoying himself now, unlike his previous drumming project with?Lt Kudu.

Chris Bell was a great drummer with Hugh, I’m not the best at picking up moods of others being autistic, but he always seemed reasonably comfortable with Hugh, did they fall out or just drift apart? Great drummer though, he signed HooverDam for me at the time
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jake wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 09:52
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 01:21

Chris Bell was a great drummer with Hugh, I’m not the best at picking up moods of others being autistic, but he always seemed reasonably comfortable with Hugh, did they fall out or just drift apart? Great drummer though, he signed HooverDam for me at the time
Hugh sacked Chris, but he's much happier now with Kirk and TOH.Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 10:23 Hugh sacked Chris, but he's much happier now with Kirk and TOH.Lt Kudu.
Hugh doesn't "sack" anybody. Nobody who works with Hugh is assured of a permanent role in his backing group, and they're aware of this fact. Hugh either choose to work with somebody or he doesn't.
dead ringer
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dead ringer »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 17:37
Greatkudu wrote: 31 Dec 2021, 10:23 Hugh sacked Chris, but he's much happier now with Kirk and TOH.Lt Kudu.
Hugh doesn't "sack" anybody. Nobody who works with Hugh is assured of a permanent role in his backing group, and they're aware of this fact. Hugh either choose to work with somebody or he doesn't.
And of course vice versa!
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 17:37
We have agency workers at our place , they sometimes have short contracts that may not be renewed, the company doesn't want them any more , so the company in essence is choosing not to employ any more . To me it adds up to the same thing........bye bye . Maybe if it's a project and Hugh works with someone to that end then it's slightly different.
All quiet ..........