Mensi, Angelic Upstarts RiP.

Discuss any non-related Stranglers bands here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Mensi, Angelic Upstarts RiP.

Post by Greatkudu »

Just heard of the death of Mensi Lead Singer with the Angelic Upstarts, another victim of the Fucking Virus, sad news. Lt Kudu.
dreamtime101
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Mensi, Angelic Upstarts RiP.

Post by dreamtime101 »

He wrote some great songs. RIP - Another sad loss.
strangledinAuch
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by strangledinAuch »

Heard the news last night

Bloody shame

Good band the Upstarts

Had I'm An Upstart on green vinyl

Absolute humdinger of a tune as was Police Oppression
See You At The Bar
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

RIP Mensi, I enjoyed quite a few Upstarts tracks, particularly "Woman In Disguise".
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

You'd think that being from near enough the same area that I would have been into the Upstarts in some way or another, but unfortunately not - I thought they were uniformly terrible.

Still, COVID has cheated him out of at least another good decade or so on this planet and nobody deserves that - RIP.
BikerinBlack
Rats Rally

Post by BikerinBlack »

RIP Mensi good band the Upstarts my mate played bass for them for a while .
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

One of punks great bands imo , some bloody good songs . Shame to hear about Mensi .
All quiet ..........
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

RIP indeed

Got to admit The Upstarts have never been on my radar, always thought they were kind of OI! style of punk, which is something I don’t like, but at least of an Anti Fascist variety, which I commend them for.

I’m wondering if they had been gigging a lot? It’s certainly makes you wonder as the guy died of Covid complications, may this have been as a result of playing in small packed venues? Just speculation on my part obviously
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Jake wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 20:44 RIP indeed

Got to admit The Upstarts have never been on my radar, always thought they were kind of OI! style of punk, which is something I don’t like, but at least of an Anti Fascist variety, which I commend them for.

I’m wondering if they had been gigging a lot? It’s certainly makes you wonder as the guy died of Covid complications, may this have been as a result of playing in small packed venues? Just speculation on my part obviously
They were oi style but not oi , predated that by a few years . Oi was just a convenient tag for Gary Bushell to get his own bit of punk history imo , the likes of Sham , Rejects , Slaughter and a fair few being around before Bushell got this idea of punk and skin Street punk . The Upstarts were politically quite outspoken and Mensi has his views and was quite uncompromising , but he always stuck to them . I did like all the bands mentioned and some oi bands too. I also liked a lot of their polar opposites in the anarcho punk bands . I think on the whole I liked pretty much anything punk had to offer , maybe with the exception of The Slits , I never did get that at all .......maybe it was a bit too odd for me .
All quiet ..........
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 15:12 I think on the whole I liked pretty much anything punk had to offer , maybe with the exception of The Slits , I never did get that at all .......maybe it was a bit too odd for me .
I'm assuming you drew the line at Skrewdriver as well, right?
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

The Upstarts from '83 or so have some tracks you would never guess were the Upstarts. Very different from the raucous 1979 TOTP days.

Mensi was a true man of the people. 'Solidarity' is a powerful track.
Let's Boogie
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

StanInBlack wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 15:55
Jon the Impaler wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 15:12 I think on the whole I liked pretty much anything punk had to offer , maybe with the exception of The Slits , I never did get that at all .......maybe it was a bit too odd for me .
I'm assuming you drew the line at Skrewdriver as well, right?
I never really listened to them , like another of that ilk , Combat 84 ......didn't like their politics . Another I didn't listen to were The Killjoys , just didn't like Kevin Rowland , used to live opposite him and he was an arse .
All quiet ..........