He was with a very fit looking lass
do you wanna
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Re: Mensi, Angelic Upstarts RiP.

Post by Jake »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 13 Dec 2021, 15:12
They were oi style but not oi , predated that by a few years . Oi was just a convenient tag for Gary Bushell to get his own bit of punk history imo , the likes of Sham , Rejects , Slaughter and a fair few being around before Bushell got this idea of punk and skin Street punk . The Upstarts were politically quite outspoken and Mensi has his views and was quite uncompromising , but he always stuck to them . I did like all the bands mentioned and some oi bands too. I also liked a lot of their polar opposites in the anarcho punk bands . I think on the whole I liked pretty much anything punk had to offer , maybe with the exception of The Slits , I never did get that at all .......maybe it was a bit too odd for me .

Don’t want to get too off topic, I’m sure he was a good bloke, he sounded so, and it’s good having people like him at gigs that can attract far right skinheads, and he definitely wasn’t afraid to stand his ground there - a good thing in my book. people seemed to speak highly of him, musical preferences aside, I prefer what The Slits had to offer than any band that’s ever been labelled oi personally, the first Slits album is a great slice of punky reggae produced by Dennis Bovell. Their early stuff before the album and contract sounds not a lot different musically than any other shouty punk band. I’d just say so many of these oi punk bands sound so samey and dull to these ears but there we are…