Vive Le Rock #88

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Vive Le Rock #88

Post by Greatkudu »

And all this from a terrible pic of Mr Warnes Boat Race, come on Stan its nearly Christmas, can you say something nice about Baz, he's a nice chap when you meet him, he remembers names. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I concur with this - To be fair I think Stan sees Baz as a resource :lol:

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:10 And all this from a terrible pic of Mr Warnes Boat Race, come on Stan its nearly Christmas, can you say something nice about Baz, he's a nice chap when you meet him, he remembers names. Lt Kudu.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

gjinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 12:52
Consider that the first four albums have sold steadily ever since and the amount of formats we buy them on and it should add up quite nicely!
Sorry. I was thinking more of Hugh's slice from the Stranglers shows without him.He's said in recent years, with obvious insincerity, that he's pleased for them continuing because he gets royalties.I mean if it's a few hundred quid per tour to supplement his poor ticket sales and albums then good for him.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Exactly - win win.

Jim
Ruby wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:36
Consider that the first four albums have sold steadily ever since and the amount of formats we buy them on and it should add up quite nicely!
Sorry. I was thinking more of Hugh's slice from the Stranglers shows without him.He's said in recent years, with obvious insincerity, that he's pleased for them continuing because he gets royalties.I mean if it's a few hundred quid per tour to supplement his poor ticket sales and albums then good for him.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:10 Mr Warnes Boat Race
Sounds like it could be the name of a side project, that.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Ruby wrote:
Hugh puts a brave face on it by saying its great that they've continued. Actually my impression is that he's never been very happy with it at all. I can see his viewpoint and I'm not blaming him for having felt that way btw.
I Hate You !
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Ruby wrote:
Got you.
Well whatever is put aside for the band he'll get 25% share of the percentage of Mk1 songs performed I expect.
Plus merchandise with the logo on?
Actual cash figures I'd be guessing.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I doubt he cares tbh. It's getting his heritage out there and it also brings money in. Which ever way you spin it it can only be beneficial for him.

Jim
aldinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:53
Ruby wrote:
Hugh puts a brave face on it by saying its great that they've continued. Actually my impression is that he's never been very happy with it at all. I can see his viewpoint and I'm not blaming him for having felt that way btw.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:06
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 13:10 Mr Warnes Boat Race
Sounds like it could be the name of a side project, that.
Does Hugh's greatest fan and admirer also know when we get the new album from Mr Melody Hugh Cornwell which will certainly surpass the tribute Stranglers act latest effort called Dark Matters? :mrgreen:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 15:00 I doubt he cares tbh. It's getting his heritage out there and it also brings money in. Which ever way you spin it it can only be beneficial for him.

Jim
aldinblack wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 14:53
Ruby wrote:Sorry. I was thinking more of Hugh's slice from the Stranglers shows without him.He's said in recent years, with obvious insincerity, that he's pleased for them continuing because he gets royalties.I mean if it's a few hundred quid per tour to supplement his poor ticket sales and albums then good for him.
If I'd worked my arse off to build up a brand name for almost 20 years, I probably would have been annoyed by the remaining members continuing on and undermining the value of the brand by continuing with inferior/imitation versions. I mean, of course it keeps his heritage out there and brings money in, but it would have been far more lucrative if they'd stopped entirely and re-formed the original line-up maybe five or even ten years down the line. It would have been far more credible too.

Not that I'm saying that re-forming the original line-up would be a good idea - I'm more than happy with Hugh's catalogue of solo albums (and by the same token, much less thrilled with the MKII+ albums to the point where often I wonder why they bothered) - more that (and this is even taking into account the Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI eras) The Stranglers have suffered brand damage by not protecting what made them special. When Paul Weller broke up The Jam and refused to reform them, he had the right idea.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Lafleur wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 15:02 Does Hugh's greatest fan and admirer also know when we get the new album from Mr Melody Hugh Cornwell which will certainly surpass the tribute Stranglers act latest effort called Dark Matters? :mrgreen:
I dunno. Ask him/her.

The only thing that I can be certain of as a mere fan of his solo work is that it's almost certain to be superior to Dark Matters, because all of his proper solo work so far has been.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

That would have been nice, a reform in 2010 and they would have still been relatively 'young'. Yet you read contradictory comments from Hugh.He says in the book no mercy that a reunion could have happened had they disbanded but then it also says he no longer felt comfortable in his 40s as a rocker in a rock band and he couldn't bear to be in the same room as JJ any longer.I doubt it would have happened.
Last edited by Ruby on 17 Dec 2021, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.