Vive Le Rock #88

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Vive Le Rock #88

Post by Bear Cage »

Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Vive Le Rock #88

Post by StanInBlack »

They've even got Billy Corgan from The Smashing Pumpkins on the cover!

Joking aside, stolen 2021 from who exactly? Black Midi? CHVRCHES? Black Country, New Road? Squid? Wolf Alice? I mean, nobody told all of those young, successful and vital bands that a band with only one original member left in 'em was stealing 2021 from 'em* ...

(*that's because they're not)
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

A very unflattering pic of Baz. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

A bit surprised that didn't put JJ on the cover but I guess he was on it a couple months ago.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

jason wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 20:11 A bit surprised that didn't put JJ on the cover but I guess he was on it a couple months ago.
It highlights The Stranglers are much more than JJ, and how key Baz is to their resurgence
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Bear Cage wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 20:40
jason wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 20:11 A bit surprised that didn't put JJ on the cover but I guess he was on it a couple months ago.
It highlights The Stranglers are much more than JJ, and how key Baz is to their resurgence
Yeah good for Baz. He deserves it.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 20:40 It highlights The Stranglers are much more than JJ, and how key Baz is to their resurgence
Yeah, Baz has reaffirmed The Stranglers status as a major artistic forhahahace hahahaaaa! Sorry, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

Given the amount of current names on the front cover of that magazine (none) and more than a few names languishing in the "where are they now?" file, I'd say this doesn't mean an awful lot.
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

StanInBlack wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 22:56
Bear Cage wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 20:40 It highlights The Stranglers are much more than JJ, and how key Baz is to their resurgence
Yeah, Baz has reaffirmed The Stranglers status as a major artistic forhahahace hahahaaaa! Sorry, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.

Given the amount of current names on the front cover of that magazine (none) and more than a few names languishing in the "where are they now?" file, I'd say this doesn't mean an awful lot.

The stranglers are much more than JJ, err ok

For a bit of balance, not harsh criticism, just cold reality, Baz would be nobody without playing material that Hugh Cornwell was a huge part of creating in the first place.

I don’t think they’ve drawn in significant new punters, just captured the interest of people who’ve already been into the stranglers at some point.

I don’t read Vive Le Rock, I am not interested in events like Rebellion festival either, because invariably most of the acts represented have long past had their heyday, and for the most part seem to have become glorified tribute acts, dad rock, etc.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

This is sadly true

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

It's a bit like a football team , like my football team , living on past glories ........funnily enough from pretty much the same era (Leeds Utd ) .Luckily I have seen both in their prime and both were quite prolific in their own fields and both now are just poorer versions of the best thing ( you can't say noriginal with a football team as the ever changing ) . Baz has done well with the band but like said , he is earning a lot from a previous era and also Paul Roberts was also a collaborator on NC and Suite which people forget , though he didn't appear on the latter he would no doubt have thrown idea's into the songs and I would say both of those were better than the following two albums , DM is decent but for me Giants was the nadir for the band alongside 10 . The band whatever happens now and in future will always be remembered for the period between 77 and 91 , that's no insult to the latest version or a reflection on DM , it's purely a fact .
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 10:30 It's a bit like a football team , like my football team , living on past glories ........funnily enough from pretty much the same era (Leeds Utd ) .Luckily I have seen both in their prime and both were quite prolific in their own fields and both now are just poorer versions of the best thing ( you can't say noriginal with a football team as the ever changing ) . Baz has done well with the band but like said , he is earning a lot from a previous era and also Paul Roberts was also a collaborator on NC and Suite which people forget , though he didn't appear on the latter he would no doubt have thrown idea's into the songs and I would say both of those were better than the following two albums , DM is decent but for me Giants was the nadir for the band alongside 10 . The band whatever happens now and in future will always be remembered for the period between 77 and 91 , that's no insult to the latest version or a reflection on DM , it's purely a fact .
Sir all true, but the band as they are now are still a great live band and have produced a fine album, but of course it was Daves last playing, and hate to say this, maybe we are saying it's better than it actually is because of the poignancy of Daves last album? But take that away I still think it's a fine album, with all things taken into consideration. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Jake wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 00:49 For a bit of balance, not harsh criticism, just cold reality, Baz would be nobody without playing material that Hugh Cornwell was a huge part of creating in the first place.
This is completely true. Nothing that Baz did beforehand was all that successful, bar being briefly a member of the Toy Dolls which was his previous career highlight. If Baz hadn't replaced Ellis in 2000, no Stranglers fan would know who he is or give a shit about him. Harsh but true.
Jake wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 00:49 I don’t think they’ve drawn in significant new punters, just captured the interest of people who’ve already been into the stranglers at some point.
I agree - and for all this talk of "we see young faces in the audience", those "young faces" are mostly those of the children of dyed in the wool fans or formerly lapsed fans who have been brought back into the fold. One thing that has been noticeable about The Stranglers' audience after Baz took over on vocals is that it's brought a lot of gammon out of the woodwork.

Jake wrote: 11 Dec 2021, 00:49 I don’t read Vive Le Rock, I am not interested in events like Rebellion festival either, because invariably most of the acts represented have long past had their heyday, and for the most part seem to have become glorified tribute acts, dad rock, etc.
Yes, all bands have a shelf life where they're at their finest as a performing unit - and, most importantly - a creative force. Bands are not like football teams where you can just change members endlessly and expect it to the same thing. The Stranglers have more than exceeded their shelf life by 30 years in the eyes of the majority.